cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone Passports...Good-Bad or ???

Griz14
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at the Keystone Passport travel trailers and was wondering what everyone thought of them. I like the looks and layouts but I don't know much about their reliability which rates high on my scale of importance. Any comments would be appreciated.

Griz14
31 REPLIES 31

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever I read these questions I always wonder if the OP means this RV just in general or compared to other RVs. In general, it's a cheaply manufactured product made with an abundance of particle board, low end cabinets, the lowest cost faucets and fixtures available and basically subpar materials throughout. All that being said, it's pretty much the same as every other main stream TT being made and for what you pay, IMO, it's a great value.

With all of these lower end units it's a bit of a roll of the dice. Every manufacturer turns out problem free units and..... well, others ๐Ÿ™‚

After owning numerous similar units I personally think the best thing is to really look at the one unit you are interested in rather than a brand or manufacturer as a whole. Find a good dealer that is close by for service/repair and do a REALLY thorough PDI or inspection if buying used. I have a very similar TT only made by Forest River. It provides numerous wonderful times for the family and I but I'm never surprised if one of the cabinet doors falls off in my hand ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

ianmac23
Explorer
Explorer
We have a passport and love it. We take it out 45+ nights a year
2010 GMC Sierra, 1500, SLT, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.2L, Max Towing Package,2011 Keystone Passport Ultralight Limited Edition

Dodgetech
Explorer
Explorer
We have a passport 238ml and had no warranty issues pulls great mainly just the two of us but it works great.

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
We have a keystone Passport Elite which we bought in 2013. We love the layout a looks of the inside. No major problems and would buy another again.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
You may be safe with a stick and tin camper from Keystone but I've seen many more delamination issues on Keystone Laminated build campers(Passports, Outbacks) than other laminated build camper brands. If I wouldn't buy one, I wouldn't recommend one.

BTW, laminated build is a fiberglass thin skin glued onto luan (or other material), then glued onto a frame with Styrofoam insulation that fills the voids. The back side of this is now glued onto another piece of luan decorative interior wall board. All glued together.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer, that was our opinion too. We just purchased, and went with a Forest River product, even though we paid $1k more than the comparative product in Keystone.

I have nothing concrete to say why we did. It was just an overall impression after searching through dozens of products from each manufacturer.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Friends of ours have a Keystone TT (not sure which model) just over a year old and it has quality issues, especially cabinetry. Some doors are barely hanging on, some doors can't close, some doors fly open all the time. All due to sloppy installation and alignment of hinges. Should have taken it back to dealer.

Saw the same thing in one at an RV show. You'd think the dealer would have fixed this up before thousands of potential customers see it. Stuck out like a sore thumb.

Keystone tends to go for more bling and features that appeal to buyers at first glance but they cut corners in other areas that most won't notice -info. from a dealer I know.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Sturdy aluminum wall and floor framing. Lite weight for the size. I like my Bullet. The Passport, Bullet and Premier are all very similar in layout and construction.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

Rumtan
Explorer
Explorer
We love ours but the only complaint we have is that other people want to see inside it when we are camping. Camp on
2013 Keystone Passport 2100RB
2015 F150 ecoboost
Fish-O-Holic;)

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
I think our group of camping friends and family are now 4 out of 6 of us in Keystone products. Ours is a Passport, which is our first TT. and we have had it about 18 months with just a couple of tiny warranty issues that where handled easily. We got the Elite series TT, so it has a pretty nice feel to it in terms of layout and finishes.

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2012 Passport BHWE 3220. I love the thing. Got it in 2011 4 season coming up. No issues, tows great, weighed in under 7500lbs fully loaded for 5 days of camping. My two complaints are curtains instead of doors (saves some weight) and not enough outlets. First world problems right?
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned 2 Keystones now and both have been good campers, Springdale and Outback.

I've looked at Passports at the dealerships and they are OK in my opinion. I've had very few and just minor issues with all 3 of my Thor Industries travel trailers, nothing that a little common sense and a screwdriver could not fix or adjust.

It's funny though, folks who don't have nice things to say about Keystone, usually don't give examples of why they don't like them.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Every maker produces good ones and bad ones. Thorough inspection before money changes hands is the key. There are a lot of KS Passports out there. I own a KS Hornet and it has been great. 9+ years old now.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Griz14
Explorer
Explorer
tshirtman wrote:
My in-laws have a Keystone product and would NEVER but another one.
What is wrong with your in-laws Keystone?

jbarkley
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone is the Top seller, we have a Keystone x-lite 5th wheel and love it.