cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lance 815 TC.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
The wife and I decided to sell the half ton truck and buy a 2011 Ford F250 extended cab. Now we are looking at Lance campers,I really like the 825 but 18 to 20 grand is out of our price range. We have seen a 2005 Lance 815 camper in Wisconsin for sale. I would like to hear about the good and the bad about this TC. Thank You.
25 REPLIES 25

Cmprmn
Explorer
Explorer
2000 Ford F250 Super Duty: Firestone air bags, Stable Loads
2001 Lance 815
96 30'Coachman Catalina TT

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went to YouTube and a guy had a video about changing the fittings under the shower.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Cmprmn wrote:
Old Days:

Don't let that shower drain discourage you! I have a pristine 2001 815 that I paid $5500 for. Yeah a little pricey but really well maintained. My first mod was to connect the shower drain to a hose that goes out the back of the camper. I then plugged the black tank where the shower originally drained into. Given the small holding tanks, I can't see where you gain anything by routing the shower into the grey water tank. Plus if your camping in an environmentally sensitive area, you can stick the hose in a 5 gal. pail with a lid on it and carry it off for disposal.

Good luck in your search.
paul

Would you mind posting a picture of this? I hardly ever shower in my camper but I wouldn't mind having a picture.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Old Days wrote:
The wife and I decided to sell the half ton truck and buy a 2011 Ford F250 extended cab. Now we are looking at Lance campers,I really like the 825 but 18 to 20 grand is out of our price range. We have seen a 2005 Lance 815 camper in Wisconsin for sale. I would like to hear about the good and the bad about this TC. Thank You.

We bought our Lance 815 in 2002 new and would buy another one if this one was destroyed. Like with any used camper checked it over for signs of water leaks that could lead to wood rot, have the dealer/private seller take off any service panels to check those hidden places. The shower drain pipe had crack twice on me, also the front right tie down is weak and could be pulled down and may need to be re-enforced. You can see the framing by using the cabinet under the refrigerator, look for any separation, it doesn't always show on the outside of the camper.

With looking at getting a Ford truck you'll most likely have to build a platform so the cab over will clear the truck cab, Ford kept rising the cab height with each year for awhile, I had to do this with my 2007 F-250.
I'm 5'6' in height, Lance 815 was the smallest hard side that Lance built and if your a tall person there may not be enough head room for you, it's plenty for us.

With black tank at 10 gals/fresh water at 18 gals and gray tank at 11 gals managing your water use is extremely important

Over all the Lance 815 is a good and well built camper and does very well in the back country or XTCing.

If you have any further questions just PM me.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

thebigtiny
Explorer
Explorer
Old days

I had a 2002 lance 815 Took it up the Haul road (Dalton HWY) to Dead horse Alaska in 2007 owned the camper for 2 years. It held up very well. Did not care about the drain issue. MY only issue was that there was not enough leg room to sit on the toilet. Yes I am a tall and a Big guy. but even my small 5-2 petite DW found the Space in front of the toilet to be very confining. Other than that the camper was fine. MY only regret was the previous owner had installed a ESPAR diesel heater into the Stock heater system. I loved this heater very low amp drain and a wonderful dry warmth. I wish I had taken the heater with me before I sold It. Good Luck and Happy camping...

Chris
1999 Dodge CTD 4X4 QCLB, 2013 Ram CTD 4X4 CCSB, 2005 Nash 23ft. Fiver, 1999 Wildwood f30 toy hauler. 2001 Forest river Toy hauler 26ft,2015 Chrysler 200S(DW rig), 2005 Harley Road Glide, 2000 Electra glide STD. 4 Polaris 4 wheelers. 2 great granddaughters

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to thank everyone with the info.I am letting my wife pick the camper that she wants.We both like the lance 815 and the 825.The shower setup doesn't bother me with the 815,and we both like the dinette and the window in the back.

Cmprmn
Explorer
Explorer
Old Days:

Don't let that shower drain discourage you! I have a pristine 2001 815 that I paid $5500 for. Yeah a little pricey but really well maintained. My first mod was to connect the shower drain to a hose that goes out the back of the camper. I then plugged the black tank where the shower originally drained into. Given the small holding tanks, I can't see where you gain anything by routing the shower into the grey water tank. Plus if your camping in an environmentally sensitive area, you can stick the hose in a 5 gal. pail with a lid on it and carry it off for disposal.

Good luck in your search.
paul
2000 Ford F250 Super Duty: Firestone air bags, Stable Loads
2001 Lance 815
96 30'Coachman Catalina TT

SheepCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Old Days
I have some information that may help you learn about the older Lance campers. They are PDF files of a 2004 Lance catalog with specs on all of their campers and a 2005 Owners manual.

Drop me a PM with an email and I will send them to you (or anyone else).
01 F350 CC SRW 7.3 Diesel
05 Lance 845
96 Jeep Cherokee, Beaches of Baja
79 Jeep CJ7, Moab Rocks

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Old Days wrote:
We do like the North star Laredo,DW really wants a dinette and I like the cassette toilet setup. Finding good used truck campers in Wisconsin is hard to do. Minnesota has a lot more to choose from.

You might have to narrow the available units down using

http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/

or

http://www.rvtrader.com/

then traveling to see a few in person.

Many folks here have driven considerable distances to get what they wanted.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buying new is one thing, I am an original Lance owner and happy with my unit, I maintain it semi annually and bought it only because the Lance dealer took my trade.

A lot of used units get sold because people have gotten past the pretty curtains, woodwork and counter tops that they were fooled by and are now into the problems of the structure. This is what you have to look at because this is what you might be getting into, potential structural issues.
Do you have the experience to know what you are looking for in a used unit ? If not , hire someone. It might be money well spent and you might not need to go to California or anywhere else.

When you buy used you should look at and consider track records. Consider the build quality in those areas that we can't see.
You are buying a used camper and mention the plant in California ? Are you anticipating having to repair it, where the dealer is not able or willing ? :?
A recent poster posted 'they are Mfg. in one CA. location and repaired at another.'
IMO, that's no different than going to a dealer, skill level might be equal/worse .

the dinette : just something to consider
IMO, a 'sofa dinette' with storage below, seems to be more comfortable on extended stays or during inclement weather .
From personal experience, (DW took a header off the top step, she went down on her head n shoulder and I don't mean the shampoo) in case you suffer an injury (even minor where you have difficulty in bending or whatever) while on the road , the sofa dinette is easier to use opposed to the conventional dinette for eating as well as an emergency place to sleep, it happens more often than we like to think about .

I second the NS units for buying used or new .
Search around...You will have to look hard to find an unhappy Northstar owner and most find the cassette a very worthwhile option. You can dump it at any bathroom or porta-john if you had to.

If I was buying used : I like the idea of a family run business where the owners are not afraid to answer the phone to talk to a customer.
******Unlike other Mgf.'s , Northstar gives a lot of trust to it's network of dealerships as far as a green light to authorize and make a needed repair....something important to think about when you're on the road after you have plopped down a lot of cash purchasing it.
Limit potential aggravation, I wish you both all the best.

Bob

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 815. Paid $5500 for it this year and it was like new inside. I don't care where the shower drains as it all goes down the sewer hose anyway.

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
Hold out till you find what you want at a fair price. I bought a pristine camper right after labor day. Original owner used it 3 times in 20 years! Like FreeLanceing says, the older Lances with aluminum roofs were a great design. Just resealed my " new " campers roof and feel confident about the winter now. Good Luck!
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

FreeLanceing
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sitting in my 815 now. I bought mine used. I took it to alaska this summer. I bypassed the shower long ago. For 1 or 2 close friends this an idea camper. Its very light and durable compared to some. I have eveything i need and more. Mine has the metal skin and alm roof. I preffer this design over the more stylish models. I would by another or similar design.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think Lance are built in California.We will be looking all winter for a camper. DW really likes all the windows in the 815.