cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lance Owners - Question on Ground Clearance

Gordon_R
Explorer
Explorer
I am seriously considering the purchase of a Lance 2285.

I have an RV pad along the side of my house. It does have a slight incline from the street and then levels out at the top of the pad. One side of the entry ramp is slightly steeper then the other side.

Due to the low clearance of the trailer, I am concerned that the rear of the trailer will scrape against the concrete.

In your experience, have you had any trouble backing your trailer over uneven ground?

I know this is a tough question without seeing the ground, but the entry to the pad is about 4 or 5 degrees from level and about 30 feet long.

I had Zero issues getting my 40 foot diesel pusher onto the pad, but, we are downsizing.

PS. I'm thinking I might be OK, as I never had a problem backing a U-Haul trailer up the ramp and onto the pad, and the ground clearance on those trailers is about the same or less, but, not as long from the rear wheels to the back of those trailers.
GORDON & LORI
U.S. Coast Guard Chief (Retired)

2016 Ford Crew Cab Lariat F-350) w/6.7 Diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Semper Paratus

12 REPLIES 12

Bruce_H_
Explorer
Explorer
The Dexter TorFlex axles for the Lance trailers have special brackets for the BAL frame that Lance uses. Dexter sells a 7" lift kit for this axle/frame configuration. I believe, but am not absolutely certain, that a 2285 can be ordered with the lift kit. I do know for a fact that the Lance repair facility located next to the factory will install the 7" lifts.

Bruce
2012 Lance 1575 TT pulled by 2013 4WD Expedition with HD Tow Package

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
Our Lance 1685 wouldn't have any trouble with that driveway (I only wish we had one beside the house!). But it's considerably shorter than a 2285. Good luck! BTW, we LOVE our Lance 1685! But then, I guess everyone loves their own brand of travel trailer! 🙂
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Gordon,

I have a 2016 , 2285. I back it in a driveway steeper than yours. I back uphill and then it levels off. No problems. Plenty of room.

If you like the 2285, get it. We like ours a lot.

kincade
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2185 and a similar driveway - it works fine for me from factory. But I know Lance makes a lift 'kit' for these as well - might be worth asking the factory what it costs.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Looks doable to me. The 2285 has the rear axles farther back under the frame. That will help get the TT going up sooner. Just release your WD bars to let the rear of the TT raise up some.

MikeInOregon
Explorer
Explorer
Your driveway is not as steep as mine. My "guess" is that the Lance will have enough clearance. You could ask the dealer to let you park the trailer in your driveway before making the purchase.
2015 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost
2015 Creekside 20FQ
ProPride Hitch

Gordon_R
Explorer
Explorer
OK. I hope this helps. Please forgive the condition of the yard. It's kind of wet out today and I know I have a lot of yard work to do come spring.

The gates open like a clam shell.

GORDON & LORI
U.S. Coast Guard Chief (Retired)

2016 Ford Crew Cab Lariat F-350) w/6.7 Diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Semper Paratus

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If they're Dexter Torque Flex then they have 3 settings. 10*, 22.5* and 45* down. Not sure which angle they're at or even if its possible to do, but could be worth looking into.
Dexter also makes a 3" spacer kit for the Torque Flex torsion axle.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
You can always do an axle flip. The kit only runs about $40 per axle.

I believe those are torsion axles, so a flip would not apply.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
You can always do an axle flip. The kit only runs about $40 per axle.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

MikeInOregon
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at Lance when I was shopping for a trailer. I liked them, but decided against Lance because of the low ground clearance. My parking situation is similar to yours. I was worried about the trailer hitting the driveway. I ended up going with the Outdoors RV Creekside 20FQ. It has generous ground clearance and we have been happy with the purchase. I've been thankful to have the extra ground clearance when camping at a couple Forest Service campsites. Good luck!
2015 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost
2015 Creekside 20FQ
ProPride Hitch

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Can you unhook the WD and let the rear of the truck sag? That will raise the rear of the TT. Or just use a non WD drop shank and lower the front of the TT even more. Might be a PITA to switch all the time. Just throwing some ideas out.