cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leak in brand new TT

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
2nd weekend out with new TT. Had some intense rain and found water pooling in the bedroom overhead cabinet and finding it's way to the bedside table. Quite a bit of water coming in. I've never had a leak in any camper I've owned from Pop-ups to TT's. How concerned should I be with this? Could there be unseen damage occurring? How do I insure the dealer fixes the problem correctly? Very frustrating especially on top of the multiple small problems we've found. Already been back at shop once for a few small things. Typical low quality control at the manufacturer.
2014 Berkshire 360QL
20 REPLIES 20

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
You've gotten plenty of good advice, so I can't add anything new there other than a "Good Luck!!" and a hope it all turns out well for you.

I will add that it just goes to show that any manufacturer can have issues....as from what I've gathered, Open Range is one of the better trailers out there.
2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Contact Open Range immediately as they have a pretty good reputation for customer service and standing behind their product.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
My "barely used" TT had a similar leak. Turns out the previous owner clipped a tree and damaged the seal between the front panel and the roof.

The initial "repair" was done by the mobile RV tech who had been paid to inspect the trailer. He added some screws and applied lap sealant.

When the problem didn't go away entirely, I used a lot more lap sealant across that whole strip connecting the front panel to the roof. We'll see if it stays dry all camping season.

I have permanent cosmetic damage from the first leak. The second leak created a bubble of water behind the wallpaper in the overhead cabinet. I cut that open to get it to dry quickly and completely. Since I live in a very dry climate I'm not worried about permanent damage having taken place.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

bmet2000
Explorer
Explorer
ESDA wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
If under warranty, take it back to your dealer right away.

Funny though. We've owned our Outback now for about 18 months. Last fall when we were bringing everything back into the house for the winter, I found the cloths hanging in the slide-out closet were wet at the bottom where they touched the bottom of the cabinet. And sure enough, the carpet there was sopping wet too. Not under warranty any more, I was thinking, maybe with the slide - out, which is the way it was most of the summer (at home in the drive way), maybe water leaked around the seals. So decided to shut it up and not worry until Spring. Trailer dried out OK, clothes got dried of course, closed up the camper ... all is well. Still it bugged me.

We went to Florida over Christmas for a week. Used the camper all that time. Slide in, slide out. Traveling, moving, camping, rain, (even a tornado in Florida. Yea, that was interesting) ... slide out --- perfectly dry the whole time.

Went back to Florida again early March this year. Same thing. Combination of slide out - slide in. Rain when traveling, rain when parked. And ... perfectly dry.

I'll never know what caused the wet. I've rattled my brain to no end, studied the camper extensively, and am still baffled why we had water that one time and never again! Go figure?

(Part of me still thinks my wife put a bottle of liquid in there and it leaked out... but she denies anything like that.)

I have the same trailer you have, and a similar water problem. However mine is on the floor below the closet slide out. In the last year or so the carpet was completely wet a couple of times. Once after a major rain and once after I washed the trailer. It almost seams like it leaks when the water/rain comes at a near horizontal or below horizontal level. I check the seals and everything seams sealed pretty good. I cannot figure it out.

Open range had a bulletin to check the screw on the corners of the slide outs. Basically you took the screw out and put sealant on it and screwed it back in.

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Contact Open Range pronto, let them be your guide.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Re the lender....not necessarily. If this lender is someone who deals with this company on a regular basis, they are not going to be happy to find that they're letting units off the lot in shoddy condition and/or not condernced about making it right. If the OP arranged their own financing, the lender is likely less interested.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

ESDA
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

Funny though. We've owned our Outback now for about 18 months. Last fall when we were bringing everything back into the house for the winter, I found the cloths hanging in the slide-out closet were wet at the bottom where they touched the bottom of the cabinet. And sure enough, the carpet there was sopping wet too. Not under warranty any more, I was thinking, maybe with the slide - out, which is the way it was most of the summer (at home in the drive way), maybe water leaked around the seals. So decided to shut it up and not worry until Spring. Trailer dried out OK, clothes got dried of course, closed up the camper ... all is well. Still it bugged me.

We went to Florida over Christmas for a week. Used the camper all that time. Slide in, slide out. Traveling, moving, camping, rain, (even a tornado in Florida. Yea, that was interesting) ... slide out --- perfectly dry the whole time.

Went back to Florida again early March this year. Same thing. Combination of slide out - slide in. Rain when traveling, rain when parked. And ... perfectly dry.

I'll never know what caused the wet. I've rattled my brain to no end, studied the camper extensively, and am still baffled why we had water that one time and never again! Go figure?

(Part of me still thinks my wife put a bottle of liquid in there and it leaked out... but she denies anything like that.)

I have the same trailer you have, and a similar water problem. However mine is on the floor below the closet slide out. In the last year or so the carpet was completely wet a couple of times. Once after a major rain and once after I washed the trailer. It almost seams like it leaks when the water/rain comes at a near horizontal or below horizontal level. I check the seals and everything seams sealed pretty good. I cannot figure it out.

Rescue16
Explorer
Explorer
I would expect the leak is coming in thru the marker lights on the front of the trailer. 9 times out of 10 they did not seal around where the wires entire the trailer by the light. Would never the less take it back to the RV dealer and have them replace all any damaged particle board in the cabinet.
Rescue 16 - United States Navy Retired and Proud
Lovely Wife Carla 🙂
The Crew Alicia and Johnathan :B
The Camping Dog Kamp Chaos 🙂
2013 Keystone Cougar 32RBK
2006 Ford F350 Crew Cab Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water intrusion is the #1 destroyer of RV's and can do so very rapidly.

They can do a pressure test where they pressure the inside of the rv with air and look for leaks with a soap solution.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
If you financed, you might want to contact your lender and let them know you are having this problem and see if they can lean on the dealer to make this right and quickly.

The lender couldn't care less. All they care about is that the borrower makes payments on time.

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
TNRIVERSIDE wrote:
I think you hit the nail on the head. "Typical low quality control at the manufacturer."
Be sure to name names. Let others know that you had this happen and what brand / manufactor is responsible. We all vote with our money.

In My Sig

downtheroad wrote:
I would have been back to the dealer long before I took the time to post a question here on the Forum...

BIG CONCERN - absolutely.
COULD THERE BE UNSEEN DAMAGE - absolutely.

On it's way to dealer as soon as I can get out of work this afternoon.

Is there anything I can do or look for to see if there is any underlying issues?
2014 Berkshire 360QL

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Quality is sorely lacking in the majority of the RV industry. You got some great advice above mine. May I only add that the unit be pressure checked everywhere for other leaks you have not seen yet? I will do this prior to my next RV purchase. Please let us know how it all turns out.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
DwnSth wrote:
How concerned should I be with this? Could there be unseen damage occurring?

I would have been back to the dealer long before I took the time to post a question here on the Forum...

BIG CONCERN - absolutely.
COULD THERE BE UNSEEN DAMAGE - absolutely.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer