cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leak in the roof

facory
Explorer
Explorer
During our recent camping trip water apparently entered through the roof seam where it joins the front panel. Apparently it got in through the lap sealant at that point on the roof. Now I think that the water has gotten inside the front wall. Now that I have the trailer back home I have a dehumidifier and fan running inside trying to dry it out.

My fear is that the moisture inside the wall will eventually cause the wall to rot. Is there anything else I can do to draw the moisture out of the wall to prevent this?

The trailer has a fiberglass exterior.

* This post was edited 05/28/18 03:46pm by facory *
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike
8 REPLIES 8

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
check ALL openings in the front wall. Driving thru driving rain will even force water up under places like the bottom of the front window, the bottom of the clearance lites, etc. Some prior owner idiot screwed a level on the front of my "new" '05 Trail Cruiser, so took it off and filled the screw holes.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Good thought about the clearance lights. Will check them.
Schwinn Mountain Bike

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
facory wrote:
During our recent camping trip water apparently entered through the roof seam where it joins the front panel.

Perhaps, but another common source for water leakage is via the clearance lights, especially on the front wall of a trailer. Check 'em religiously. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
A one time leak, quickly abated is no issue. Repair the source of the water intrusion and get on with enjoying your RV. If you have brought the humidity down to 35% with Tropical Storm Alberto overhead, you have nothing to worry about.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
facory wrote:
The trailer is in Georgia and the entire roof is covered with a tarp. No additional water is getting in. The dehumidifier has removed close to two gallons of water and the humidity is down to 35%. Fan running around the clock. Not sure how to remove the wall panel on the inside. Any info for doing that would be appreciated.

If it's not obvious how to take the wall down, and you're pressed for time, drill holes near the bottom of the wall and poke your fingers in there feeling for moisture.

As far as how to take your wall down? Hmm. We could help more if you have a picture or several?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

facory
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer is in Georgia and the entire roof is covered with a tarp. No additional water is getting in. The dehumidifier has removed close to two gallons of water and the humidity is down to 35%. Fan running around the clock. Not sure how to remove the wall panel on the inside. Any info for doing that would be appreciated.
Schwinn Mountain Bike

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely run a dehumidifier. Remove trim or drill holes (where you can hide them) to allow air to circulate.
And use Eternabond on the leaking area.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
The camper is in Georgia? Right now with all the rain and such?

I'd get a blue tap up on the area where you think it's leaking using gallon plastic jugs filled with water hold it in place along with any ropes and bungees you can scrounge up. Meanwhile, try electric heaters to evaporate the moisture, and perhaps rent a large dehumidifier. Than when it's better weather, expose that leak area to the hot sun you guys get in Georgia. Give the wet area several days to dry while blowing air on it with fans.

Once that's all done, then decide whether to remove a wall panel to look behind it or determine if it's dry enough without pulling a wallboard. Than put Eternabond 4" tape over that roof seam and never worry about it again.

Roof sealing...
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.