cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT pre-wired for camera - system is junk (maybe)

irontodd
Explorer
Explorer
Newer model Forest River, Shasta, and probably other brands of travel trailers have been outfitted with a backup/observation camera mount. Many dealers are saying this mount is for the Furrion branded cameras. My dealer included. the Furrion Observation camera WILL NOT FIT the installed bracket, nor will it mate up to the provided power lead, without some serious modification. I learned this the untimely way - luckily the box I got was a used item, and missing some parts, but the sales listing indicated new, so I was able to easily return it.

At this point, I contacted Shasta directly to be sure, so I didn't order another mis-fit. Here is their response:

forestriverinc.com wrote:
Thank you for contacting the Shasta Parts Department. The brand of back up camera for the mount is Way Interglobal. Their part number is CL-718W-C for the camera. Please let me know if I can assist further.

I found this camera on Way Interglobal's website, only in the store, not in the products section. Weird. Anyways, their store page (http://www.wayinterglobal.com/store/) has the camera ($329.90 as of May 2017). Ouch. Of course, I turned to Amazon to try to find a better deal. I was able to find what seemed to be the same system by searching for the part number alone , specified by the Shasta rep, "CL-718W-C". Turns out I see now that WAY now offers a digital model on their site, but that one is not available on Amazon by using the part number.
the matching product name that I found is
Elite CL-718W-C 7" Wireless Rearview System (TFT LCD (16:9) )

There were 2 options for this Camera - one sold by Amazon and one by another seller, but also on Amazon's site. The price difference was large. 125 dollars difference. Worried about getting an incomplete system I asked to the Amazon community "What's in the box?". I got a detailed reply in a day, and decided to also try to take the plunge on the less expensive one. I'm glad I did. It's a much better deal.

This is the box I received.

There's a couple of things that I'd like to share about my experience with the installation, so here we go. The product was packed pretty well by the manufacturer. Carved foam inside the box, and the monitor and camera were in their own foam bags. the Monitor had a clingy clear sheet over it as well for protection. The camera itself came with a universal mounting bracket with sun shield. Also in the box were the following:
  • Male to Male pigtail adapter (for camera connection to trailer)
  • 6 foot hard-wire power lead for camera
  • Monitor wiring harness
  • 12-volt plug in for monitor power
  • 2 different mounting brackets for monitor
  • Sun Shield for Monitor
  • Antenna for Monitor
  • Antenna for Camera

There's some work involved in getting the camera prepped to install to the RV-mounted bracket - you have to take off the bracket supplied with the camera.

There are 4 small phillips head screws that hold the Forest River supplied bracket to the camera housing. Keep track of those screws, you'll need them again to install the camera.

Below, I have the WAY camera on the left, and forest river bracket on the right.

Take the 2 phillips screws out of the side of the way camera/bracket. The antenna lead will still be connected to the bracket.

Using a small socket (my 4-way screwdriver had the perfect size), carefully remove the brass nut holding the antenna lead to the bracket.

I didn't get a picture of this next part, but I had to resize the holes in the plastic bracket part that came off my trailer. I used a 9/64 drill bit to make the holes a bit wider. The screws did dig into the plastic a bit at this size, so you could probably get away with using a 5/32 bit. To be clear, these are the two holes that are used to hold the camera to the bracket insert. Do not try to widen the 4 holes that hold the bracket insert to the trailer mounted bracket.

I then lined up the antenna lead with the smaller slit in the plastic bracket, and the power lead with the wider, center slot. I later found out (once I had everything installed, that this caused my image to be upside-down on the monitor. You may or may not have this issue. I simply turned the camera over in its bracket to resolve this.

and inserted the 2 screws to hold the camera to the bracket.

The antenna lead will get connected to the other part of the bracket. There's a little rubber stopper on the part of the mount still on the RV. Remove and discard. I intially tried install the nut and tooth washer back on the antenna lead, but found that I couldn't get the antenna on quite right. The knockout for the lead is kind-of D shaped, as is the lead itself, so I felt that I would be able to get things on tight enough that I don't have to worry.

Connect the camera to the power, you may find, as I did, that you need to use that male-to-male adapter that came with the kit. Screw one end onto the camera, and one end onto the rv side.

Remember those 4 little phillips screws? Use those to remount the camera and bracket to the rv

Now, I didn't take pictures of the actual install process of the monitor, but here it is mounted in our Jeep.

And here is a closer up shot of the screen itself in use.

Hopefully someone finds this useful.
15 REPLIES 15

irontodd
Explorer
Explorer
bigorange wrote:
2018 Forest River Cherokee with the pre-installed/wired Furrion bracket here...fits the Furrion Observation camera just fine and works great for me. Same report by my friend with a new Forest River Hemisphere with I assume the same bracket.

The front cap in your Cherokee (looking at the pix on FR's site) appear to be fiberglass, and the rear looks to be aluminum. Is this the case? Both the front and rear are aluminum on mine. Maybe the curved aluminum disrupts the signal sufficiently to create a poor experience.

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Forest River Cherokee with the pre-installed/wired Furrion bracket here...fits the Furrion Observation camera just fine and works great for me. Same report by my friend with a new Forest River Hemisphere with I assume the same bracket.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Too bad you can't just use the outer skin of your trailer as the antenna. I agree with your guess. The signal is not getting through the outer skin of your trailer and into your tow vehicle, unless it has something overhead to reflect off of.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

irontodd
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I'd followup here - I tried a different camera system from Furrion - their Observation Camera System. That's the one that's supposed to work on the open road. I had the same experience as with the Way Interglobal unit - it worked while parked around cover but once out of my carport, nothing. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that my camper is Aluminum not fiberglass and the aluminum is reflecting the signal.

john1928
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
MikeJulieGDImagine wrote:
RSD559 wrote:
I've heard that the Furrion observation camera does work pretty good wirelessly. But I'm not going to take one for the team and buy one.

We have the Furrion observation camera and so far it works fantastic. We tow a 32 foot trailer with a 2013 Expedition EL and it's been on 6 trips so far and not a single time have we had a signal issue.

Ditto here. Same trailer and system.

And another +1. We have a 33' trailer pulled by an F350 crew cab, long box and no drop-outs while in motion.

In the Furrion line there are two visually identical (or nearly so) parts. One is described as a backup camera and the other as an observation camera. By many accounts the back-up version regularly drops out while in motion while the observation version does not. Any chance your brand offers an alternative "observation" model with a stronger signal?

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
MikeJulieGDImagine wrote:
RSD559 wrote:
I've heard that the Furrion observation camera does work pretty good wirelessly. But I'm not going to take one for the team and buy one.

We have the Furrion observation camera and so far it works fantastic. We tow a 32 foot trailer with a 2013 Expedition EL and it's been on 6 trips so far and not a single time have we had a signal issue.

Ditto here. Same trailer and system.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is from Forest River it has to be junk. everything in and on their trailer is junk.

Jack L ( a 2016 Forest River owner)
Jack & Nanci

MikeJulieGDImag
Explorer
Explorer
RSD559 wrote:

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I guess we can assume that sometimes free is not really free.

There are time when simple jobs become disproportionally complex. Unfortunately you found one.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
You gave it a good shot. I've been wondering about these for a while now too. Thanks for takin one for the team and reporting back.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

irontodd
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the camera stopped connecting at all. I am sending it back!

irontodd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks RSD for sharing this info. I have confirmed on my trailer that the camera power is only on when the running lights are on. Other people might want to check their own situation.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to check on your pre-wire is whether your camera is always on. Someone warned about that in another post. He actually installed a switch inside his trailer to turn it off when not on the road. I hope your extension works. I've never had a decent experience with wireless. But I haven't tried in a while. I've wired both my trailer and my tow vehicle, so I don't have to worry about reception.