Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaking window under Cab Over

LUVTOTRKCP
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody have any suggestions. We have an Arctic Fox 990 on a GMC
crew cab 3500 DRW truck. When we drive in heavy rain our window under the cabover leaks. Arctic Fox tells me its a vortex that is caused by some truck cabs. I have tryed to plug the weep holes, but that made it worse. I have a 5' piece of that vinyl perforated gutter guard that I'm going to try to mount over the window to see if I can disturb the vortex. I would like to keep the window operative, because I leave it open when the camper is sitting between trips.
ANY IDEAS???
Thanks
LUVTOTRKCP
6 REPLIES 6

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Yes I think thats what I would try, adding drip rail, if our window leaked. It doesn't and looking I don't understand how or why it doesn't.
That said the flexible stick on or the screw on eyebrow or drip rail. The screw on eyebrows protrude a bit more from wall. If that didn't work Id make a vinyl exterior curtain, snap or velcro, problem is we use our front slider daily so it would be figuring a way to open (added curtain) when camper loaded.

screw on eyebrows
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Drip_Cap_p/vts-515.htm
http://www.randgsupply.com/Warehouse/Doors/exterioroutswing/dripcaps.htm
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I replied to your previous post a couple of nights ago, not sure why it did show up. I had the same issue with my 990.

I noticed that a lot of Lances had a gutter that diverts water to run off on either side of the bed.

I bought a piece of vinyl siding J channel, trimmed to to fit and look nice and used the thick 3M double sided adhesive to mount it just above the window. I then used Dicor self-leveling sealer to seal it across the top edge.

I think a lot more water can come in between the slider and fixed pane than through the weep holes. You'll need to open the weep holes at the bottom of the window so water that gets in the channel can run out.

We had a 4K mile trip back in May and June with bad weather every other day with no leaks. I'm not certain whether the "J" channel diverts the water to either side or if it just breaks up the wind that's forced between the cab-over and truck, but it worked great. We had no wet step the whole 20 something days. Good luck with it.
Joe and Evelyn

iwon415
Explorer
Explorer
I had a leak around pass thru window. Covered it with plastic on the outside. Found out it was from the roof instead, very little water even hits the window while driving! Sealed the roof seam and leak went away....

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
We tried everything and our solution was a solid (non-opening) window.
2011 AF 1150
Closing the vents did not change anything. Driving in the rain just shoots rain at the window like a pressure washer.
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I've been told by an AF dealer that leaving a roof vent slightly open eliminates the "vacuum" effect, so the water stops getting sucked in that window.

There's been other discussions about it here, and multiple have said the same thing you heard.
Bob

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest that you put some colored paper towel around the window on the inside, then drive into the rain for just a few minutes. Get back inside and look to see if you can figure out where the leak starts by looking for a wet spot. That will help you know whether it comes from the top, sides, bottom, or the seals on the panes themselves.

Then try taping a piece of heavy plastic over part of the window, say from the top down to 1/4 from the bottom. See if that stops the leaks. Maybe you will have to make a storm window and double tape that onto the front. Or maybe a louvered piece with deep louvers.

That's it, I am out of ideas... LOL
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel