cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LED Light Bar Install on TC or Truck, anyone do this

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking to install a LED light bar on my truck or possible TC, anyone do this? Any recommendations? Not looking to spend 1k plus on a pro offroad one, just looking for a cheapo on amazon that is easy to install.

thnx
Nolan
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads
37 REPLIES 37

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
This thread kinda evolved into a who's bigger competition... Well, I think this guy wins!

https://youtu.be/Pit33Lng2so

Sorry can't make a clicky from my phone
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

Interesting. All 3 deer hits I've suffered (2 totalled the vehicle and one was 2000 bucks in damage) we all from deer that came into the side of my vehicle, not the front and I never saw any of them because lights don't go around the sides.

Same here. The only deer I hit come from the left corner.
I have better than average reaction time, but 1/2 second at 60 mph is not giving you time to do anything.
All I could see was a shade in corner of my eye and immediate BUM.
Thanks to 1999 Superduty front bumper none of the radiators got ruptured and I could drive home.
Bumper look funny, reminding moose horns.
Now not truck mounted, but I just bought this babe.
I have a mountain about 1 mile away and that small gizmo will spot any movement on it.
Mountain peak is 1300' above the street level . Will see it in total dark as well.
So there is cheap revenge for stupid users of truck mounted LEDs.

All of mine were in SUV's not my F350. I don't drive my truck except to haul the TC and the goose neck around. Wiped out 2 SUV's (Insurance replaced both) and the last one, a Tahoe, took 2 grand worth of sheet metal damage but none of the deer succumbed to the impact, they walked away...lol One thing I've learned from experience is that a buck on the scent of a doe, sees nothing, just goes and if you are in the way, he smashes into you. Car, truck deer crashes are the number one damage accident in this state (Michigan) and it's 'bumper deer season' right now. I'm extremely careful this time of year in the early morning and evening as well as through the night.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:

Interesting. All 3 deer hits I've suffered (2 totalled the vehicle and one was 2000 bucks in damage) we all from deer that came into the side of my vehicle, not the front and I never saw any of them because lights don't go around the sides.

Same here. The only deer I hit come from the left corner.
I have better than average reaction time, but 1/2 second at 60 mph is not giving you time to do anything.
All I could see was a shade in corner of my eye and immediate BUM.
Thanks to 1999 Superduty front bumper none of the radiators got ruptured and I could drive home.
Bumper look funny, reminding moose horns.
Now not truck mounted, but I just bought this babe.
I have a mountain about 1 mile away and that small gizmo will spot any movement on it.
Mountain peak is 1300' above the street level . Will see it in total dark as well.
So there is cheap revenge for stupid users of truck mounted LEDs.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought and installed a pair of 4000 lumen CREE SMD LED lights (6, 10 watt Cree's in aluminum housings on my one Ag tractor up high mount and they are wicked. Certainly eye fryers. I'll have to use discretion except in the field of course.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
Opinions are like elbows.....my opinion is if you are trying to avoid hitting wildlife the last thing I would do is turn a lot of light on them. I think all you're doing is blinding them.

The benefit of all the light is that your site distance is longer, so you can see them sooner, and slow down sooner, hopefully avoiding hitting them. That's one reason people want aux lights.

Or in the desert, where there's no ambient lighting from houses, businesses, street lights, people want more light to see further.

THat's why Baja 1000 racers use eleventy-billion watts of lights on their race vehicles - longer sight distance.
OOPS, maybe they only run 1.21 jiga watts, powered by a flux capacitor

2015 Backpack SS1500

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Opinions are like elbows.....my opinion is if you are trying to avoid hitting wildlife the last thing I would do is turn a lot of light on them. I think all you're doing is blinding them.

The benefit of all the light is that your site distance is longer, so you can see them sooner, and slow down sooner, hopefully avoiding hitting them. That's one reason people want aux lights.

Or in the desert, where there's no ambient lighting from houses, businesses, street lights, people want more light to see further.

THat's why Baja 1000 racers use eleventy-billion watts of lights on their race vehicles - longer sight distance.
OOPS, maybe they only run 1.21 jiga watts, powered by a flux capacitor
Bob

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I just flick them. It gets their attention so they know I have a set of eyeball burners under my finger. Never had to leave them on for more than a second.

Amazing how fast the LED light bar gets turned off. There isn't a LED light bar made that can compare to a set of 160 watt Halogen Daylighters. Effective (visible) range is over a mile.
2015 Backpack SS1500

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
For those complaining about them, you must not drive many/any dark roads with little to no traffic, no ambient lighting and abundant wildlife.
Just in the last 2 weeks, on my job, 1 elk has been tagged by a company truck...

There are no elk on Sandwich Rd. next to the canal on Cape Cod. There are buttheads in Jeeps with very brights LED bumper lights tho.

You need a set of Daylighters like I have. Amazing how a quick flick of the on toggle changes their minds about bright lights....:D

As their eyeballs get cooked in their eye sockets, they realize they don't have the brightest lights anymore.

About the only time I use the. A great deterrent to obnoxious idiots.
The trouble with that solution is that now you have two blind drivers heading towards each other .

Something wrong with that?:S

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
For those complaining about them, you must not drive many/any dark roads with little to no traffic, no ambient lighting and abundant wildlife.
Just in the last 2 weeks, on my job, 1 elk has been tagged by a company truck...

There are no elk on Sandwich Rd. next to the canal on Cape Cod. There are buttheads in Jeeps with very brights LED bumper lights tho.

You need a set of Daylighters like I have. Amazing how a quick flick of the on toggle changes their minds about bright lights....:D

As their eyeballs get cooked in their eye sockets, they realize they don't have the brightest lights anymore.

The trouble with that solution is that now you have two blind drivers heading towards each other .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The whole point is of course the lights can be misused, just like anything else, but around here, if in someone's opinion it's misused then the product should be outlawed.
Rather funny actually to hear the knee jerk comments.

Sincerely,
Guy who will be putting a big LED in his front bumper when it arrives.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SidecarFlip wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Could be he mistook a Bullwinkle for an Elk....:W

I wish, but nope it tasted like elk!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Could be he mistook a Bullwinkle for an Elk....:W
2015 Backpack SS1500