cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED's

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
To switch out my old TT tailights to LED's, I assume I would have to get a new socket. Correct ?
30 REPLIES 30

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I got some replacement LEDs for my truck running lights at Walmart... and they are pretty crappy. They are the blueish color, so behind the orange lens they actually come out more yellow. I've also replaced about 3 out of the 5 LED bulbs because they are built so poorly - I bought extra out of habit and have used up my extra bulbs.

Next time I have to replace LEDs I'm going to try an auto parts store. In this case, "saving money" at Walmart was not worth it.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
What is the major advantage to LED's for the taillights and the running lights? I understand the desire to change out the interior lights, due to energy savings, but energy is no problem for taillights and running lights.

LOFAT36 wrote:
To switch out my old TT tailights to LED's, I assume I would have to get a new socket. Correct ?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
LOFAT36 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
When shopping, buy LEDs matching the lens color for best results.

I don't understand this. Lenses are red, bulbs are clear. Correct ?

Incandescent bulbs are most often clear. LEDS however only generate "simulated" white light, relying on our eye (or camera) to integrate two colors, blue and yellow giving the illusion of white. High end
LEDs can generate a fuller spectrum, but I haven't seen anyone selling those on a retrofit bulb.

Putting a white led behind a red lens doesn't work as well as putting a red led behind a red lens or an amber led behind an amber lens.

Good day for learning ... Never knew that. I illuminated the front of my house with with LED lights. The light was too white so I put an amber lens over it to warm up the color. The most awful green color came out the frontside. Now I know why.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
GordonThree wrote:

Yes, that is a must. Buy red LEDs for tail lights.

You guys do realize that the standard bulb behind the tail light is not a red light,, right ?? I admit that incandescent bulbs do put out kinda a yellowish glow. But, I don't understand why some of you keep insisting on putting a red bulb in there. If you're going to do that you might as well get a clear lens. It's the red lens that makes the light red. Not the bulb.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Best red LEDs I found are these

I run them in my truck tail lights and the small travel trailer.
Bob

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
GordonThree wrote:

Yes, that is a must. Buy red LEDs for tail lights.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put a while light behind the red lens on my TT and it works OK. I got the bulbs at Wall Mart and they fit the standard socket. They are sold as replacements for standard taillight bulbs. I put one in at a time so I could compare results then I stood back and watched. They do light up quicker but, the ones I have are not any brighter.

If you find some brighter ones let me know. The tail lights on my TT are hard to see in bright daylight and I sure wish they were brighter.

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
LOFAT36 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:

Incandescent bulbs are most often clear. LEDS however only generate "simulated" white light, relying on our eye (or camera) to integrate two colors, blue and yellow giving the illusion of white. High end
LEDs can generate a fuller spectrum, but I haven't seen anyone selling those on a retrofit bulb.

Putting a white led behind a red lens doesn't work as well as putting a red led behind a red lens or an amber led behind an amber lens.

Interesting, I never knew they came in red. I'll check that out. Thanks, Gordon.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good point, Gordon.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
LOFAT36 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a set of Harbor Freight LED lights, then took them apart and used the LED light board to put inside my old trailer lights. They work great.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
yillb wrote:
LOFAT36 wrote:

Negative, they make bulbs that fit in stock housing, I did the same swap, i did it on ALL the lights on my trailer, and ALL the lights on my truck.

What year is the trailer ?

2011 Rockwood. I'd like something brighter.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
I found some direct replacement LEDs for mine, not sure which you have but found mine at a local O'REILLY'S. I'm sure Super Bright LEDs would have something as well.
2004 31' Toymate by Automate
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Wife and 2 dogs for travel companions, Blue the hound, and Ruger the Wonderhusky