cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

let's talk generators

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
I've got another thread going concerning solar power. Many of you are proponents of generators. Our unit is also wired for one. Can a Honda gen fit into our compartment? No offense out there, I still think the Onan is loud and annoying (that's the one that the factory would have installed).

I know that I'm asking a lot of different questions, but I want to know the options and be well informed to make the right choice for us. We're pretty self sufficient and run a lot of power. I think the biggest draw besides the jacks is the fridge.

This is the difference with the TC world. The jacks take a lot of power. If it weren't for them, we would have had plenty.

We're always learning something.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7
31 REPLIES 31

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fridge actually draws very few amps when on LP. Don't even consider running the fridge on 12v. As far as the jacks once the TC is loaded you really won't need them until you get back from you outing unless you want to unload at the CG.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
You may be better off adding batteries and a small generator to charge them with. I had 4 batteries and a 1000 watt Honda and it took care of our needs including lights and a TV/DVD combo.

With just the batteries we could go for almost 3 days before needing a recharge. For a week if we were power conserving (coleman lantern instead of lights).

The Hondas are not designed to be used in an enclosed are but will work if you have a fan and vent the exhaust.