cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letting a diesel sit

This is the first year my Diesel is now my tow vehicle and not my everyday runner... Besides keeping her plugged in (gets cold here in the northeast).. I will use it for snow removal as it has a plow but if it's like last year,,, no snow..Should I put anything extra in the tank besides my normal - Power Services Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost.. Will probably sit from late October to May... Or so...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
20 REPLIES 20

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about Ford but my 06 Dodge states in the manual that it is never recommended to use #1.
It states to use an anti-gel additive and keep it plugged in. It states if temps get down to a regular of 0 or below to use a blend of #1 and #2 but never straight #1. I live in SD where it gets pretty cold in the winter. We always have a week or two where it never gets above zero. I never once used anything but the #2 at the station with the white bottle of power service and kept her plugged in.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

retired-tech
Explorer
Explorer
according to ford do not use antigel unless you really have to. the wax crystals in this new diesel are different and antigel can cause problems.
2014 North Country teardrop in wood
2009 Cougar 320 SRX

bovellois
Explorer
Explorer
A battery maintainer sounds like a good idea. I also have battery warmers, they keep the batteries at full power for only 160 watts vs. 700+ watts for a block heater. I use synthetic engine oil, Rotella T6 at the moment.
Bruno, Carol, Thierry and Julien
Sankei the fox terrier
Starla the Gordon setter
97 Dodge 2500 4x QC diesel
2006 ROO19

Like stated I earlier , if we get snow , it will be used for removal so it depends on the weather as to if it gets driven or not....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know it is apples to oranges, but I had a 63 Ford super major that was used solely for snow removal. Sometimes the fuel in it was 2 or 3 years old.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
Does algae grow in freezing temps?
Running it every so often does more harm than good. Just leave it off til needed.

Either get #1 fuel or put in you favorite flavor of anti gel.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Fill the fuel tank,change the oil and filter and if sitting in a garage maybe put 1/2 plywood under all the tires. If you don't have a good charger like OH48lt stated take the truck out maybe in January and run her for about 20 miles at highway speeds.

As far as fuel isn't all diesel #1 now a days. The refineries may change to a winter blend as in adding anti-gelling agents but other then that all ULSD road fuel is the same.

And if anyone thinks there is not any water in their tank they are kidding themselves. You may not have a lot but I assure you, if your truck is a year old you have some water in it. Link

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
My truck sets in my garage all the time, I have yet to have any problems. My tractor, mower, and other equipment don't get used everyday either. I have never had problems out of letting diesels set for periods of time, I hope you don't either. Good advise has been given by the other members. I don't think setting does easy much harm as driving short distances daily would.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
bfast54 wrote:
Well......I owned a 5.9 cummins....that sat up here, from end of oct.....thru middle of may........most of winter covered in 2...3 ft of snow,and when it melts.....I turn the key, and go.......never an issue.....for 5.6 years.
I bought my Powerstroke....day before Christmas last year,and it sat till May.....long winter here.......just change the oil in spring........good to go.
NEVER had a charger,maintainer.....on either......and we get real winters up here.

Absolutely!! Farmers buy $300,000 diesel combines and only drive then 3 weeks a year. Sit for 11 plus months.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Cameo Phil wrote:
Might want to fill up the tank with #1 winter diesel instead of putting #2 in it for the winter

I don't know about "back there", but around here we have "Winter Blend" diesel during the cold months (it should be appearing at all filling stations soon). "Winter Blend" is a blend of #1 and #2 diesel fuels that gives a Cloud Point (the point at which the paraffin crystals begin to form) of about 18 to 20 degrees below zero, F.
Special "Low Temperature" fuels may go much lower than that, down into the minus 30 to minus 40 degree range.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of diesel powered equipment sits for many many months and starts up and runs without incident when needed.

You mentioned keeping the vehicle plugged in....that is not necessary and a total waste of electricity and money. Only plug it in 6 hours before starting it during the cold months.

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
Put the Power Service additive in it, fill up the tank and let it sit. Don't plug it in, that's just wasting electricity. Do put a battery maintainer on it, not that Harbor Freight junk either. (HF does sell some good stuff, their trickle charger is not one of them.) If you're going to run it, let it warm up all the way. Running it for a short distance just creates condensation.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

Cameo_Phil
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to fill up the tank with #1 winter diesel instead of putting #2 in it for the winter
2002 Carriage Cameo F35CKB
2005 Chevy 3500 LT, CCLB 6.6L Diesel 4X4

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
I like the part were you equate cold winters and PA. I know here in pittsburgh the snow doesn't melt till mid July.