cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lifetime Escape Hatch Lid

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Well I've ordered my own custom sized rectangular cake pan out of aluminum. Only it's not for baking as it gets turned over the other way for the bed escape hatch lid. Exact size as the old plastic one, I'm adapting the same hardware to the new aluminum so the crank up will still work.

Then insulate the underside with the foil face foam that has sticky on it and perimeter edge rubber gasket for sealing down.

HE he it's fun to beat the system an make things last a long time.
6 REPLIES 6

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm sure I probably do have a different hatch. I have a Heki II.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I can't imagine getting rid of that much light, but I guess if you're never inside during the day, I suppose that's fine.

You have a different brand I assume, as some escape hatches, like mine are no lite at all. Plusses and minuses for all of them.

My new aluminum will be cross hatched across the top also.

The biggest plus is that the hinge will no longer be in the way of sealing the mounting flange with the coating. This is on the Henges Elixor brand where the pivot is too close to the deck and flange.

New hinges will have longer arms holding out of the way of the seal coating.

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was much worse for wear, I also line X it and used a couple of other coatings to strengthen it and did some sheet metal enforcing to shore up the structure. Seems very solid and substantial now, and it never did let in much light to begin with.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can't imagine getting rid of that much light, but I guess if you're never inside during the day, I suppose that's fine.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Have line X coat two coats on it and will last a long time.

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent idea!
I just paid for a new one to replace mine, but will look into that next time.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS