cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light models with king slides

threetravelling
Explorer
Explorer
Hey friends. I hope some of you all might have some suggestions for me as we look for our 'new' rig.

We have a Tahoe (can pull 7500) and have been fulltiming in a Keystone Zeppelin (241) for the last 2 years. Now that I've done almost every bad thing to it that can be done, it's showing signs of being on borrowed time...but that's okay. We bought it used and got our money's worth and then some. Not interested in another Keystone, though.

Time to hunt for a new one, and a rear king slide seems to be an awesome option. I like the KZ floorplans and there seem to be a couple of models in our weight limits. Seems Jayco has a couple too.

Anyone have one or have seen some that you would recommend? (I'm still a fan of ultralights and have no need for anything bigger).
12 REPLIES 12

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
The Kodiak 279 rbsl has a large size slide which holds the dinette and sofa and the smaller slide in the kitchenette holds the frig and the stove n microwave. Weighs 6100 lbs. and is 30 ft long. I tow mine with an F150 ecoboost.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

threetravelling
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
What do you mean by king slide? Rear slide outs with a king sized bed like this?

Or just a deep slide, 36-42" like this?

I highly recommend weighing your current setup with all your travel gear to understand how much heavier you can go. Full timers take a lot of stuff, often 3000+ pounds. That would be something like 4200 pounds dry to stay under your tow rating.

I mean a rear king slide (preferably with no other slides, though).

We have been fulltiming with a light rig. Our combined weight runs 10,000-10,300 (the two times I weighed us).

The Tahoe is 5340. The TT is 4280. So--our "fulltimer load" runs around 400-700 pounds generally speaking, but we could be safe adding another 1200 and still be below the loaded max of 6200 for the TT. Really--we do understand how to fulltime in an ultralight. Some of us fulltimers are also fulltime minimalists.

Many of the rear king slide models I've seen are pretty well within those limits too--I've just heard mixed reviews...so I appreciate all you who have shared your experiences!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
What do you mean by king slide? Rear slide outs with a king sized bed like this?

Or just a deep slide, 36-42" like this?

I highly recommend weighing your current setup with all your travel gear to understand how much heavier you can go. Full timers take a lot of stuff, often 3000+ pounds. That would be something like 4200 pounds dry to stay under your tow rating.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

johnrm134
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Jayco 26p in 2010 brand new. We absolutely love this floor-plan. If you haven't seen it, it has the king bed slide-out in the back and the dinette slide out on the side. It opens up the whole mid section of the trailer. When open looks much much larger than 26'. Its about 5700 lbs "dry", tows great. The best part is while on long driving trips, we just keep the slides in for overnight stops, stay hooked up to the truck, do a quick water, electric, and sewer hookup, take our showers have dinner, I unhook everything but electric (for fridge and ac), and I'm ready to get behind the wheel quickly the next morning. The trailer is still very usable with the slides in, you can get around nicely! Beware of the trailers where you can barely access the fridge or bathroom if slides are in. You may have to find a nice used unit if you like this floor plan though, last I saw Jayco discontinued this model?? The dealer told me that most people want the "bedroom". I myself don't like the bedrooms that take up a 1/4 to a 1/3rd of the total trailer floor-plan. Good luck!

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
We have a KZ 265KS. We have a king bed rear slide with 2 bunks in the front. We love it! It is mostly the wife and I but have room if some of the (4) kids want to come along we have room. Dry trailer weight 5100# and pull with a Surburban with 7000# capacity. We have no problems pulling over the hills in KY and TN. Couldn't be happier. We love the King bed and the option of having guests. The rear slides have not been popular and have gotten a lot of bad press but I don't know why. We have had zero problems and like the shorter trailer for towing. We met numerous people at RV shows that said that they were told that rear slides were a problem but when asked them where there they heard that it was just "they" said. Who ever they are. We can only speak from our own experience but we love our rear king slide. The best floor plan is the one you like.
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
Aerolite makes models with king beds, although the bed is not within a slide. They have several models under 5K# dry with king beds

You don't want another Keystone product, but the Outback Terrain models have king bed slides, and I'm happy with mine. They have several models that are light enough.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
Slides are what make a travel trailer heavy...period. You can get a 30 foot travel at 5,000 pounds w/o slides. You add a couple of slides are you add a better part of a thousand pounds.

Plenty with slides that length for 5,000 pounds. Looks at the Coachmen Apex line or Shadow Cruisers.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

forthefunofit94
Explorer
Explorer
You can checkout Forest River. They have a 21 ft w/ a king rear slide. I have the 21 v-lite WRS and love it. I don't know anything about their current model, but if it anything like what I have, you should be pleased. It run a little over 5,000#.
David & Karen Castellon
2015 F150 XLT
302 w/tow & anti-sway package
Backup camera & brake controller
EQUAL-I-ZER hitch

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Slides are what make a travel trailer heavy...period. You can get a 30 foot travel at 5,000 pounds w/o slides. You add a couple of slides are you add a better part of a thousand pounds.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Good thread, we are concise ring a change and could use our Yukon Danali as a TV. Has the 6.2 and max of 8100 lb.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Mister_Big
Explorer
Explorer
How about this one? Skyline makes a great unit.

http://www.skylinerv.com/index.php?q=node/109&ID=4471&page=1
2015 Skyline Koala 26SS
2004 GMC Yukon
Equalizer 10K Hitch
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Swagman Traveler XC 2 Bike Rack

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the Keystone Outbacks.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB