cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking cover for electric trailer jack?

newmanr19
Explorer
Explorer
I searched around for a bit, on Google, and here as well.. but is there anyone that makes an aftermarket cover for the operator controls on my electric tongue jack? I know I can disconnect the batteries and remove them, but just wondering if there is something that I can get so I don't have to worry about some kids messing with the jack at a campground while we're in town..
7 REPLIES 7

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My take on the cinch sack is that it is bright red and flashy, practically begging the curious to come over and take a look. The better option is the key switch. An even better option is to do nothing. You really don't have top worry about it. You will come to realize that your stuff is not going to be messed with at 99.9% of the CG's you stay at. Have never had an issue with someone messing with my stuff - even when accidentally leaving the pass through storage doors open while absent.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
A locking tongue jack cover? ... JMO but sounds silly to me. I've always used a cover on my tongue jack(s) but never remove it as the switches can still be operated even though they're not visible.

Up 'til last season I did have my tongue jack wired through a keyed switch but it proved so redundant I've since removed it and just now just don't worry about it.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
install switch inside of trailer to a relay to jack..

or as SoundGuy said.. Key-switch.

I used an old Ford style starter solenoid an a rocker switch next to the porch light switch

newmanr19
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
I've not seen one at any of the RV stores/websites myself, looking on Amazon yielded this item. I have one of the basic tongue jack covers from CW and luckily no one has messed with it while away from our rig.

thank looks like it would do the trick. just keep someone from coming up and saying, "hey, I wonder what those switches do"

thanks for taking the time to look that up

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
newmanr19 wrote:
I searched around for a bit, on Google, and here as well.. but is there anyone that makes an aftermarket cover for the operator controls on my electric tongue jack? I know I can disconnect the batteries and remove them, but just wondering if there is something that I can get so I don't have to worry about some kids messing with the jack at a campground while we're in town..

Sure, just wire the tongue jack through a keyed switch like this. Key remains locked in the switch when power is on but when removed turns power off, in this case to your tongue jack. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've not seen one at any of the RV stores/websites myself, looking on Amazon yielded this item. I have one of the basic tongue jack covers from CW and luckily no one has messed with it while away from our rig.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
You could place an in line fuse holder on the power lead to the jack and just remove the fuse.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran