cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at used travel trailer.

jbeshears
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have decided to try to upgrade from our current 1992 Jayco CB220 to something with more room. We are looking at a 2001 Dutchmen Lite 26RL-DSL. I am having a hard time coming up a good price on a camper this old. We couldn't find any evidence of water leaks, and the appliances looked barely used. There was some dents from rocks on front, and a piece of trim on back that is bent a little. The NADA values show it being like $4600 low retail, but all the other prices I am seeing on comparable campers seem higher than NADA.

We got them to come down to $5000 on the price including a weight distributing hitch with friction sway bar. I had offered them $4700. Is 5000 too high for this old a camper?

Another question I am curious about. It shows it as weighing 6200 lbs. My Dodge Ram 1500 is rated to about 8700 pounds towing. Will I have issues with this towing in higher elevations?
26 REPLIES 26

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Suggested
List Price
Low
Retail
Average
Retail
Base Price
$18,306
$3,900
$4,680
Options (Add)
Total Price
$18,306
$3,900
$4,680

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Look for 10 year old coachmens of that era... 10 years or so.. They were lighter.

Get on the roof and look for soft spots and mold in cabinets. Also soft spots on floor near slides..

Here is a good looker in your area..

https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2009-coachman-travel-trailer/6483114745.html

Watch this on what to look for..How to spot a lemon..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx0SPexRHgo
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are buying a 16 year old TT. The price is whatever the market will support.

If it is 16 years old, stored outside, does not leak and is not beat up inside, that says a lot about its construction.

I have a 2010 Dutchmen Lite we bought four years ago. We love it. The only thing it needed were brakes.

The tire were in good shape so I ran them three years for about another 20,000 miles. I replace then because they were seven years old. I kept them for farm trailer use.

The biggest problem with older TTs is the price is whatever the seller will take for it that the buyer thinks is reasonable. Unlike cars there is not long history of used vehicles.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
check the tires that's a 500.00 cost if they need replaced. there is a date code on them, if they are oem then that's to old.
I tow a 27' that's about 6500 ready to camp with a 1500 2010 GMC and it tows great.
Jay D.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If I understand you correctly, you are only $300 apart. If it is what you want then pay the price.

Years from now the difference in price will be meaningless.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Our first hard sided travel trailer was a Dutchmen Sport 2004 model. We never had an ounce of problems with it. Of course, it did not have slides either. We towed it, originally, with a 1500 Chevy Suburban and it destroyed the transmission within 3 months. Replaced the transmission and it towed terrible after that. About a month after the transmission replacement, we traded for a gasser 3500 duly crew cab, long bed. Never regretted doing that.

jbeshears
Explorer
Explorer
The current owners have had it for about 10 years, and they have had it stored outside during that time period. I am not sure about before that. When they bought it, they had the slide seals replaced at that point.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Campinfan wrote:
If it is in good shape now that it is 16 or so years old, who says it is junk or won't last longer.

I agree.

Was it stored inside or out? If outside, then no water damage for 16 years argues the "it's junk" determination. If inside, then it may be that clean because it never left the enclosed area and it may fall apart as soon as it's on the road.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is in good shape now that it is 16 or so years old, who says it is junk or won't last longer.

jbeshears
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, we are trying to find something we like under 5 or 6k so we can pay cash. There isn't a lot out there in that price range. We really like the 14' slide on the Dutchmen, but if it isn't going to hold up then that won't be good. Any brand/model recommendations in that price range? Looking for something about 26' long with a slide out, folding couch for bed, and walkaround queen bed.

ViewOfAKindArt_
Explorer
Explorer
It should tow fine, I do think that your offer of 4700 is smart given the NADA on it. Good Luck.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutchman in those years were basically junk. Pass!
There are a lot much better trailers out there.