cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a tow vehicle for boat

gmcman
Explorer
Explorer
Had to edit content regarding weight of boat.

We may end up with a boat before next spring, so I’ve been looking for another tow vehicle to serve double duty as an occasional daily driver. If we end up with a 28’ boat the total weight could hit 11.5K lbs. Boat is 8500 lbs, add fuel, water, gear and trailer and should be right at 11,500

I was looking into a 2500 suburban for a 26' boat but with the 28' then I may need to look elsewhere. I’m looking into a used tow vehicle no older than 2002, but newer than 2005 if poss, and trying to stay away from a dually. I want to say a burb' would get the job done but quite close to the limit.

Budget...I don’t need all the bells and whistles, just something to pull the boat with very occasional daily commuting. Would like to stay under $6K but I have no idea what to spend for this weight so all input and criticism is much appreciated.
36 REPLIES 36

gmcman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. I guess what I was getting at was would the legal weight limit change along with the manufacturer's tow limit if only an axle ratio changed or the engine... basing on strength of tow vehicle. So if it was underpowered and not geared properly, I wouldn't care about a 10 mile tow on side roads. But that's way overthinking things so I get what you are saying.

I spoke with a few scale operators and they pretty much mimicked what you all said and they aren't looking for someone pulling a boat 500 lbs over limit for recreational activity...mainly commerce.

I don't mind the poor fuel economy of the 8.1 burb if it's not driven much..not going to find a 100K mile 2500 Sierra 6.6L for $8K that's in great shape so the price difference of the 8.1 is fine.

If I go with the 28' boat it won't get hauled down the highway. Will stay in the water most of the time and pulled out for cleaning, maintenance, or winter storage and would be a short haul under 10 miles.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of thoughts:

- I had a 2004 (IIRC) 2500 Suburban with the 6.0. I added 4.1 gears on the aftermarket.
- I towed a circa 8500# travel trailer with it: local roads, interstates, a few mountains. I would definitely not want to tow anything above 9,000#'s with that combo, although a boat vs. a trailer may result in easier towing for any given weight...maybe I'd go to 9,500#'s or so.
- I currently have a (estimated, never been weighed since it left the fab yard) 7500 # boat that I tow with a 2500 HD Silverado diesel. The truck doesn't really know the weight is back there (although the 31' trailer makes it's length known)....but I really like the "overpower" (and the 4WD) on boat ramps...it's good to be able to just push the pedal and pull boat/trailer out of the water along with all the water that accumulates, etc
- With all that said, I'd go with an Excursion or an 8.1 'burb if you need seats. Otherwise, a 2500 pickup truck
...and definitely get 4WD, particularly if you're in an area that could get icing in the late season or moss / weeds the rest of the time. Being the guy that spins out on the ramp isn't a good spot to be in.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
gmcman wrote:

If I took a 6.0 2500 burb and put a duramax/allison in, then my rating would change based on power, but what about legal GCWR?

Again, there is no such thing as a "legal" GCWR. Well, there is. But that's based on registration weight, only applies to non-RV combinations, and registration weight is whatever you are willing to pay up to 80,000 pounds (or higher in western states).

GCWR's are listed in the manual for available engine and rear-end-ratio combinations. GM didn't make that particular combination, but if you went by the same GCWR in the corresponding pickup, it's unlikely your wheels will fall off or your engine will blow up. Will it be as reliable? Who knows. Hopefully the guys doing those conversions professionally have done some sort of performance and durability testing.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

blt2ski
In the burb, the ONLY difference between a 6.0 @ 8.1 is the motor! Possibly a 10.5" f2f rear axle vs a 9.5 SF. It's this way in early pickups.
Reality, a warranty item only trucks your looking at are out of warranty. Legal standpoint, gcwr, even the gvwr and gawr from the manufacture have no Legal meaning!
As noted, a 6.0/454/8.1 with the 4l80e/th400/4l85e derivative are pretty poor when it comes to steeper grades. Around a max of 16% at 20000 lbs. Where as the newest version, granted a bitt more torque, but the 6 so trans is way lower in gearing, so over 30% gradability. More than my 05 max by 5%!!!!
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

gmcman
Explorer
Explorer
No Cracker Jack box CDL's here....In Va it's a different story, you're not going to lose a CDL over an overweight ticket, just was looking to avoid the confrontation altogether.

I'm in an area where scale bypassing is regular so there's always eyes out and brake checks all the time...would be just my luck the day I wanted to take a chance.

My question is does the GCWR change from engine to engine or just the recommended tow rating based on engine? Can the platform handle the weight even if the motor is weaker is what I'm trying to say.

If I took a 6.0 2500 burb and put a duramax/allison in, then my rating would change based on power, but what about legal GCWR?

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
gmcman wrote:
Regarding the 2500 Suburban, the tow ratings being based on drivetrain options, does the legal GCWR change? Whatever the legal GVWR or GCWR is for the 8.1, is that the same for the 6.0?

GCWR has zero legal merit. It's a manufacturer's recommendation based on performance and longevity. That said, grade-ability of the 6.0 isn't great. Get stopped on a 12% grade with that much weight, and you probably won't get going again without using low-range.

The GCWR of the 6.0 is only 16,000 pounds.
2015 Ford Focus ST

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmcman wrote:
Regarding the 2500 Suburban, the tow ratings being based on drivetrain options, does the legal GCWR change? Whatever the legal GVWR or GCWR is for the 8.1, is that the same for the 6.0?

I'm not trying to be unsafe if the axles, bearings, and brakes are the same on the 2500, then a few miles to the ramp I can see would be ok. However if the drivetrain changes to weaker components for a 9-10K rating the I will surely pursue the 8.1.

I agree I could likely get it back and forth without any issues, but I don't want any marks on my class A CDL so I have to try to keep everything legal.

I know the 8.1 has a different trans, but mainly curious of the chassis is still rated for the same GCWR and not just the factory recommended tow rating.

I got my class A CDL out of a CrackerJack box. Can you tell me where exceeding the manufacturer's weight rating is any kind of violation?
Normally a lower power motor will result in a lower GCVWR, but often does not change GVWR. (Which when the lower power motor weighs less leads to higher payload for lower power)

gmcman
Explorer
Explorer

I'm not trying to be unsafe if the axles, bearings, and brakes are the same on the 2500, then a few miles to the ramp I can see would be ok. However if the drivetrain changes to weaker components for a 9-10K rating the I will surely pursue the 8.1.

I agree I could likely get it back and forth without any issues, but I don't want any marks on my class A CDL so I have to try to keep everything legal.

I know the 8.1 has a different trans, but mainly curious of the chassis is still rated for the same GCWR and not just the factory recommended tow rating.

blt2ski
Ummmm, If you just need to get the boat to a launch place 10 miles away, ANY 8 lug truck from ANY brand with a motor that is 200hp or over, will get you their safe and sanely! Especially if only on roads that have a max speed of 35-45 mph. Get on an interstate for a long time, you will want a few more ponies behind you. With that said, even an older 454, 460 BB V8 would do the trick. Or an early 7.3 V8, be it a turbo or cough IDI non turbo version! B5.9, my old 6.5td would pull a 12K trailer, but have to admit, with 185 hp, not fast, but had a 5 sp manual, 4.10 gears, 385 lb ft of torque, I went slow, but never stalled it out on steeper grades, like a local boat ramp that is in the mid teen% range!
Reality is, you just need ANY truck that will handle payload, chassis wise a 12K trailer......For me, that is 12K/2 = ANY rig with a RGAWR of 6000 lbs or more!
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
An Excursion with a 7.3L diesel would be mighty sweet, tow great, and get decent fuel economy! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 6,500 pound boat and trailer with my 2009 2500 Suburban. It has the 6.0 and 6 speed with 3.73 gears. It does a good job but there's no way I'd want 11,500 pounds behind me. The new style that started in mid year 2007 is only rated to 9,600 pounds 2wd and 9,300 pounds 4wd. You would need to stay with a 2001 to early 2007 to get the 12,000 pound rating which is also the only time the 8.1L was available. They aren't that hard to find. When I was looking I found plenty of them within about 300 miles of me. I decided I'd rather have the 6 speed auto with the automatic downshifting since my trailer was well withing the rating.
I once towed about 13,000 behind a 2015 Chevy 3500 truck with a 6.0 gas engine. It did the job but going up Afton mountain I had the pedal on the floor and doing about 35 MPH.
Duraburb if you can afford one, they are around, particularly on ebay. 8.1L if you can't afford one. Or, you might consider a 3500 van with an 8.1L (good luck finding one). Or a Duramax equipped van, they aren't too hard to find and aren't super expensive either compared to a Suburban.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure a GMT-900 8.1L Suburban is the only SUV rated for that.

-The newer Suburbans have a hard 10,000# hitch limit.
-The 7.4L had a max GCWR of 16,000 I think?
-The Excursion has an 11,000 hitch limit.

So, besides an 8.1L Burb, I think your only other option for 3-rows is a Ford E350 with the V10 or diesel, or maybe a 2002 8.1L Express 3500 but they only made about 17 of them so they're really hard to find
2015 Ford Focus ST

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I understand the kid thing. Maybe a truck with a topper? 8.1L suburbans are going to be hard to find, but should be just the ticket if you find one.

gmcman
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:
Maybe an excursion? The v-10 equipped units often sell at reasonable prices. If you don’t have to have an suv there are a lot of 6.0 2500 chevys on the used market.

An excursion was/is a possibility but would want to lean towards a 2500 Sierra if it came to that.

I would like a 6.0 2500 Suburban but IIRC, to get 12K towing wouldn't I also need the 8.1? If the 6.0/4:10 combo is good for 12K then I may pursue that route.

I wouldn't need to tow more than 50 miles, 10 miles would be the norm each way.

My $6K budget would be for a dedicated boat hauler, no frills...but considering the age of my Envoy going to a 2500 Sierra as a replacement vehicle is a possibility. Just hard to get away from the SUV attraction when you travel and have kids.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
01-02 RAM/Cummins 6 speed DRW. SRW may be fine, depends on how well your boat trailer tracks.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD