Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for advice on length

eipo
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy everyone...

My wife and I are in the market for a travel trailer while the kids are still young enough to not be into the high school scene and "to busy or to cool" to hang our with their folks.

A little background. I hold a Class A CDL in MI and have thousands of miles under my belt pulling all sorts of trailers hitched to various tractors. So the length and weight aren't an issue aside from Ive never pulled anything longer than 20' behind a pickup truck. Tow vehicle is a 2016 Ram 2500 with 6.4. 10,000 gvw, 19,500 combined, just over 3,000 payload and 1,250 dead weight on the class V hitch and 12,500 trailer gvw. 3.73 gears.

We went to a local RV show over the weekend and almost wrote a check for a 32' (35'+ including tongue) Jayco. But as we were standing outside the trailer looking at it, it seems awfully long for a bumper pulled trailer. We sat down and rethought our "needs" and believe we would be happy with a 26' trailer but we also do not want to settle. We anticipate keeping whatever we buy for a long time.

Family backstory... My wife and I are tall. Wife is 5'11, I am 6'4, our 12yo son is already almost 6' and our 9yo daughter is following suit. So we need a bunkhouse, but not the half sized bunks for normal sized people. We will also be traveling with 2 dogs, an Aust. Cattle dog and a Boxer/Beagle mutt.

The idea of a bunkhouse in the rear of the trailer with a door and a slide is VERY appealing to us not only for the dogs and kids, but for storage while in motion.

We contemplated the idea of going 5th wheel, but we really want to keep the bed free for misc. storage of items during our trips. Truck cap has been ordered and we would like to keep it on the truck all the time. BUT, the 5th wheel isn't ruled out. It will add not only additional cost in having the hitch mounted, but 5th wheels are also more expensive. We can get more bang for our buck going bumper pull so that is the direction we really want to go.

So my question... Is there a noticeable (As in unsafe, white knuckled feeling) between a 26' and 32' trailer? Will the longer trailer limit us in which campgrounds we can get into, etc?

Thanks in advance for reading my long winded post.

Kris
26 REPLIES 26

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Kris,

Welcome!!!

I am going to guess you were looking at the 32 BHDS or similar (can't recall the other model #'s)? Which model Jayco was it?

We have the 32 BHDS listed in my signature, pulled by a '13 Chevy 2500HD CCSB. We started out with a '87 Yellowstone, about 25' oal, then stepped up to a Dutchmen 31' oal, now the 32 BHDS which is just under 36' total.

As mentioned, you do need to be more selective about what campsites you will fit in, and what gas stations are accessible when towing. So far all of our trips have been in Mi, so luckily no fuel stops have been needed while towing. Fuel mileage difference between a 26' vs 32' will be minimal.

As mentioned, a good wdh w/ integrated sway control will help keep things in check. Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way systems are all very good. The Reese DC is a little more finicky setting up. The DC may need to be re-adjusted if your tw (tongue weight) changes a fair amount (fresh water tanks full vs empty). The Reese hitch head does allow a little more fine tuning adjustment over the Equal-I-Zer, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Do not believe the "factory brochure" tw of the trailers.The weight of the propane tanks and battery are NOT included in "brochure" weights. Make sure you get the proper rated wd bars for a loaded trailer. If you are considering the 32 BHDS, the "brochure" dry tongue weight of about 900lbs is actually about 1400lbs loaded for us.

Good luck deciding!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have many more state park camping options if you stay to 30' or under. We currently have a 28', which is 30' to the tip; and there's not a chance I'd go longer. We like to do KOA camping but we also like state park sites and they are very limited when you get over 30'.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
We started out with a 26' TT, and the kids slept on the dinette and couch - and we grew to hate it. I always wanted to use the dinette after they went to bed, but couldn't. Doing anything in the TT seemed to disturb them - getting a snack, for example.

We upgraded to a 32' bunkhouse and loved it. The kids have their area, and we don't disturb them - or have to break down and set up the table every day. We are actually upgrading again to a 36'.

Even though we prefer (them) to be outside, there are days where it rains, people are not feeling well, etc where you will be in the trailer, and it's much more pleasant when everyone has enough room.

Also, the longer TT usually means more storage, which we now greatly appreciate.

Just my $.02.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Went from an 18 foot, to a 31 foot, to a 35 1/2 foot trailer. My total length now is 58 1/2 feet. Add the cargo carrier on the back of the trailer, and it's another 2 feet.

I have found the longest trailer to be the easiest to tow. Because of the long wheel base of my truck, backing into camping spots is really easier than with the shorter 31 foot trailer, and MUCH easier than the 18 foot trailer.

About campsites? If you have a longer trailer, yes ... you do have to plan a little more careful where you camp at. But we have always been able to get a campsite anywhere we set our hearts on. We do have to be selective on our actual camp site, and sometimes we pick spots that are not so wooded so we have better space for maneuverability to park. But we've always been able to get a spot. Now that we no longer have Dish Satellite TV, we'll probably be parking under trees a lot more now. We gave up our DishTV and went back to over-the-air. We're looking forward to getting more in the tree lines again.

By the way, those 31 to 35 foot trailers look big ... only in the show room. Once you get them outside, they REALLY aren't all the big any more. And when you pull up beside a Semi Truck with a 53 foot box car in tow, you feel like a dwarf beside them.

What I'm saying is, don't be afraid of getting the 32 foot trailer for the shorter one. But if the shorter one really fits your needs, then by all means get it.

About your kids. Look for a TT that has the full size bunk beds. They are usually corner bunk beds, but they do provide more space for the kids to stretch out on. Rear bunkhouse style campers, generally still have narrow bunks, designed for kids under 10 years old.

Oh, one more thing.... You may hold a CDL and may have driven multiple tractors and trailers. But when you are towing your OWN camper with your own vehicle, it's a totally different ball game. There is always a sense of heightened paranoia - anticipation, especially when your family is riding with you. (and this is a good thing). But, it definitely not like driving a commercial truck. It just a different animal when it's yours.

eipo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies.

We have nailed down what we want in the camper, its just a matter of the real world difference in pulling longer over shorter.

eipo
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
How do you plan on using the trailer? Are you going to be doing traditional camping trips where most of the time is spent outdoors? Or will you be traveling/sightseeing? How long will your trips be?

Ideally, and this is also something I hope gets through to my wife... The trailer will just be used as a place to sleep and eat. I think its going to be a learning curve for her since shes never done any type of camping. I usually have the kids out every year up in the UP of MI roughing it. Rarely did we use a campground but would occasionally hit one up to freshen up.

We have 1 trip scheduled for the end of June/early July from MI to NM to visit my sister in law and her kids. Obviously we are going to take advantage of sightseeing over camping. Very rarely are we going to be the ones to set up camp in one spot for more than a day or two unless the destination requires that much time to visit.

toedtoes wrote:

Most questions like these on this forum result in a lot of "go bigger" - mostly because the majority of people on this forum are traveling/sightseeing for extended lengths of time. That doesn't mean it's the best answer for your situation.

I prefer the idea of going shorter over longer. Easier on the tow rig, easier to get around, less expensive. But I also recognize the comfort and convenience of a longer trailer. There will be times when we may set camp for a week or two at a time... We aren't dedicated to one or the other.

toedtoes wrote:

If you're going to be traditional camping for 2 weeks at a time or less, then a smaller trailer will likely be better. You'll most likely spend a majority of your time outdoors and the trailer will be for sleeping.

If you're going to be traveling and sightseeing, then space will be more important because you'll likely spend more time inside the RV. Most campgrounds are set up for outdoor enjoyment - RV Parks are often very tightly configured and you often end up inside the RV to get any privacy. In addition, if your usual "entertainment time" is watching tv, playing video games, etc., then the inside space is more important. The more time inside, the more important space becomes.

Yes, that is a balance we will find along the way. We know we can use the space in a longer trailer, but would certainly be unhappy if we settled on a shorter trailer only to want the space we should have purchased. My ONLY hesitation in getting something over 30' is towability over something shorter.

My wife and I will have to iron out exactly how much time she foresees herself spending inside rather than outside. I do know she is not as accustomed to being outdoors than I am. More often than not Ill be pitching a hammock and sleeping outside.

toedtoes wrote:

Cooking habits - if you plan on cooking and eating inside, then space is more important (especially if you have 2 dogs inside with you while you cook/eat). If you plan on cooking and eating outdoors, then you don't need as much space inside.

I would prefer to keep the cooking outside, but that's not my arena. We do like the idea of the outdoor kitchen.

toedtoes wrote:

When I was a kid, we had 2 adults, 3 pre-teen kids, and a minimum of 2 large dogs (usually 3 large and 2 small dogs) in a 6-pak truck camper. We spent our days outdoors, the kids and dogs were outside when the inside kitchen was used, the campground restrooms were used for most things. We never felt crowded because we were only all in the camper when we were asleep or traveling. But we were outside more at home also.

Thats how I envision "campground" camping as well. This will be a new experience for me as well. I'm used to nothing but a hammock and a campfire next to the Big Lake.

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum....good advice here. Before you buy, look around at all the various models, etc. new, used etc. Length and campgrounds depends a lot on where you are going to camp a lot. We have some campgrounds here that were built in the early days before the big rigs came out...hard to get into them. Go drive through a local campground and look. Kids etc. equal bicycles, kayaks and things, been there. Good luck....from a tent camper, to a POP UP to a travel trailer.
Mark

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 25 ft Dutchmen, it was as big as we wanted to go with our half-ton. It was as small as we wanted for two adults and a large dog. We park and sightsee so we do not spend a lot time in camp or in the TT.

Also, it is small enough to weave through city streets looking for quilt shops and local attractions. We traded bunk beds to a larger bath. A slide is a must-have.

You have to fit you TT to your family.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I only consider length important with respect too how many/which campsites I want to park in. A 25' trailer fits in a 35' space, but not the opposite! Towing? Longer makes little difference as long as all the weights align. Get a WDH with integrated sway control and learn how to adjust it.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We went from 26' to 33' and I didn't think it made any difference. I pulled it with an Excursion and although I wasn't over on any numbers, I was close on a few. I say , get what you want and don't worry about the length.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
How do you plan on using the trailer? Are you going to be doing traditional camping trips where most of the time is spent outdoors? Or will you be traveling/sightseeing? How long will your trips be?

Most questions like these on this forum result in a lot of "go bigger" - mostly because the majority of people on this forum are traveling/sightseeing for extended lengths of time. That doesn't mean it's the best answer for your situation.

If you're going to be traditional camping for 2 weeks at a time or less, then a smaller trailer will likely be better. You'll most likely spend a majority of your time outdoors and the trailer will be for sleeping.

If you're going to be traveling and sightseeing, then space will be more important because you'll likely spend more time inside the RV. Most campgrounds are set up for outdoor enjoyment - RV Parks are often very tightly configured and you often end up inside the RV to get any privacy. In addition, if your usual "entertainment time" is watching tv, playing video games, etc., then the inside space is more important. The more time inside, the more important space becomes.

Cooking habits - if you plan on cooking and eating inside, then space is more important (especially if you have 2 dogs inside with you while you cook/eat). If you plan on cooking and eating outdoors, then you don't need as much space inside.

When I was a kid, we had 2 adults, 3 pre-teen kids, and a minimum of 2 large dogs (usually 3 large and 2 small dogs) in a 6-pak truck camper. We spent our days outdoors, the kids and dogs were outside when the inside kitchen was used, the campground restrooms were used for most things. We never felt crowded because we were only all in the camper when we were asleep or traveling. But we were outside more at home also.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

hussbuss
Explorer
Explorer
Like you I have years pulling all kinds of trailers. Semi's for the military etc. I am pulling a 37ft 3 slide TT with a 4 door dually. 59ft long. If your tow rig is set up right and using your experience you should have no problem. PS. I some times add a small trailer to the TT. at 65ft.total.