cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to downsize

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking to downsize from our Class A motorhome to a truck camper in order to do some backcountry camping or just to be able to get into some of the smaller National and State Park campgrounds while still being able to tow our Jeep. We may keep the Class A for longer trips, but my main dilemma is whick truck camper to buy. I have a 2011 Ford F250 crewcab, diesel, shortbed, 4X4, so I am limited to 2,045 pounds cargo capacity. We like the idea of a hardside camper for convenience and weather protection, but like the pop ups for the lighter weight and lower profile while traveling. I know we can save some weight by going to a non shower unit with a cassette toilet, but we like the convenience of having a shower and have no experience with a cassette toilet. I was told that many people CHOOSE a cassette toilet, but I wonder WHY? Please give me your recommendations for or against hardside/pop ups and cassette toilet without showers or flushing toilet with shower. Thanks!
2018 Thor Chateau 24F
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2011 Harley Davidson Road King Police
Gorgeous Wife, 4 kids, 18 Foster kids, Retired State Trooper/Former US Marine.
35 REPLIES 35

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
What is your truck's payload?

Google for it

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at trying to stay under 3,000 lbs wet weight for the truck camper and will be towing the Jeep 4-down. What set-up should I be looking for - Timbrens, airbags, etc? I have brakes for the Jeep already accounted for, just want to make sure that my truck (2011 Ford F250, diesel, 4x4, shortbed, Crewcab, cargo capacity of 2045 lbs) doesn't rock and roll on winding mountain roads. I am really wanting this to work, but don't want to regret making the same mistakes I made buying my Winnebago motorhome. We really prefer a hard side camper due to being able to use the bathroom on the road and for ease of set up upon arrival. Answers please?
2018 Thor Chateau 24F

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
Any idea what your GVW is finaddict?

I just weighed my rig in Bellingham
Both axles
Just over the sticker GVW

finaddict
Explorer
Explorer
I run an Alpenlite Cimarron 835 on the back of my supercab long bed F-350 Diesel 4x4. I run a 2 1/2" Icom leveling kit in the front with Firestone airbags and Torque lift overload spring bushing extenders in the back. I run 35 x 12.5 Pro-comp extreme all terrains (load range "E") and the over-all system works very well. The camper is 2235 lb.s dry and probably sits at about 2800 lbs. loaded. I have taken this set up on light off-roading many times. For our roads in BC it is probably a little too tall for many trails as the trees aggressively try to fill in the break in the forest canopy over roads in very short order. I also toad a little Suzuki Sidekick lifted with 31.5 x 10.5 tires for the more extreme trails I want to travel. It only weights about 2300 lbs. so I am well under in towing weight.

Your set up with a toad Jeep would be a little more tow weight on a little less truck, so I would recommend that you get a trailer with electric brakes for your Jeep like Mike008 has for his set up. (By the way Mike, that is a great set up!). You should have no problem with the camper but I really think you need more braking power than you currently have.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, amazing how they cut down the tank capy and added a small slide out that equals the weight of my 165-s. I thought my tanks were small. But, nooh, propane breath, with 15 gal fresh; 6 gal. grey, and 6 gal black, that won't get you too many nights for two unless you are extremely anally retentive. The 'wet' weight is about the same on each. If you get the EOP pkg., the upgrades keep coming adding some great features and a lot of weight to the total. As a comparo, the 80GS is the same width and height, but a little shorter than my 8'6" floor. Did I read the brochure right and there's no bathroom sink? The E-W bed would be a deal breaker for me. Younger folks who don't mind entangling during the night or don't have to get up in the night won't have a problem. Without wings, storage seems to be at a premium. I do like the night shades and 4 gal hot water (mine is only 3 gal) but the Lance 650 has a lot more features with less weight and no small slide out. What's the total 'out' on the slide? 12 inches? Of course, every square inch on a TC that small means something.
It's all a trade off. Many moons ago, TC mfgrs. made their introductory/small product as small, light and compact as they could make it at the time. With newer tech and materials they keep upgrading but the bottom line on weight seems to remain about the same. The OP has enough info to make a lasting decision.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Mike008
Explorer
Explorer
The Adventurer 80GS might fit your needs. It's listed around 1600 lbs dry and is only 7' wide. I carry it on my 2001 f250 with a 7.3 with my Jeep in tow. Works out nicely for me.

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the new Northstar Vista. Fits short bed or long bed and close your tailgate. 7'.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
If I had a pop-up camper, I think I would want one of those hard-side pop-ups.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
You have to figure out what you want. Hard side, soft side we have had both. Liked both and now have a Outfitter. We have used ours in below zero weather a number of times and soft sides are no problem.

We have an Outfitter shortbed because every inch counts. Out in the middle of the desert, what difference does it make. But a few campers going though the woods just a few inches taller us will clear the brush or give a good marker for where we might get into trouble.

Cassette toilets are popular, we have a dump at home so its not a big issue for us. You have a Class A and are up to speed on dumping. We also carry a blue sewage tank.

As far as stealthy camping, with a popup, we have been all over the east coast, In downtown DC they have no idea what a popup camper is, and with the roof lifted they don't have a clue. Its a problem for those who know truck campers because they know, but rest of the world is numb, funner than a crutch.

We have only been run off one time from a parking spot in over 9 years.

BTW, being from Colorado, take a look at TC's on the road. Its an interesting mix. To me there are a surprisingly large number of popup TC.

As far as the weight goes, if you built your jeep, you can deal with the weight.

Good luck.

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, double posted.
2018 Thor Chateau 24F

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Vinsil wrote:
My boat weighs what you heep does (cruiser guy here, heep on purpose).

You've got enough truck, just some mods and you could step into a full hard side like have if you wish..

^This. You'd lose some of the weight cops on here immediately if if you'd have said you have a 350. Same truck, more springs in back. You're a gear head. Beef up the suspension a little and go find a hard side camper if that's what you're after.
However, if the springs on the '11 models are like my '13 and '15 F250s, they're pretty soft. I may think about adding springs rather than all the bolt on c rap I have. In the end you could buy a full set of leafs for less than the other stuff.
If you stay to the lighter side, like 3klbs or less, it will be super stable. Many haul much heavier campers and still tow.
I'll admit though, even with bags, swaybar, Stableloads, my little short bed srw tuck has some rock n roll to it especially on uneven trails. Like 1 wheel at a time potholes are the worst. I'm a newb to this TC thing but got 10-15kmi hauling it out of Seattle here to Alaska n back and out to the Midwest. Lots o mountains and plenty of dirt roads and it works. Dually would be ideal but it works fine as is.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Kayteg1 wrote:
Why I don't get in this scenario?
Driving F250 short bed 4x4 and tow Jeep?
What for?

Focus. Op didn't ask for opinions on why he should tow a jeep or not.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Colorado has more Truck Campers than any other state,so finding a good used one will not be hard to do.

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at a Palomino HS2902 with a slide out, the weight being well over what my door post sticker says. Sales guy says with airbags I'll be fine. I said "no thanks". Looking at a Travel Lite 890SBRX, weight being real close, sales guy says I should do Timbrens. Was interested in Outfitter, as they are almost around the corner from me, but WOW, too expensive! I do like the Outfitter stuff, very well made, small guy business, custom made to order, but just can't justify spending that much without trying something less expensive first. Will definitely check into the Lance 650 and 825 and compare them to the Travel Lite. Hopefully, I can find some decent used campers, since I don't know how we will like truck camping other than it's more comfortable than tent camping (former Marine - had enough of that) lol!
2018 Thor Chateau 24F