cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to downsize

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking to downsize from our Class A motorhome to a truck camper in order to do some backcountry camping or just to be able to get into some of the smaller National and State Park campgrounds while still being able to tow our Jeep. We may keep the Class A for longer trips, but my main dilemma is whick truck camper to buy. I have a 2011 Ford F250 crewcab, diesel, shortbed, 4X4, so I am limited to 2,045 pounds cargo capacity. We like the idea of a hardside camper for convenience and weather protection, but like the pop ups for the lighter weight and lower profile while traveling. I know we can save some weight by going to a non shower unit with a cassette toilet, but we like the convenience of having a shower and have no experience with a cassette toilet. I was told that many people CHOOSE a cassette toilet, but I wonder WHY? Please give me your recommendations for or against hardside/pop ups and cassette toilet without showers or flushing toilet with shower. Thanks!
2018 Thor Chateau 24F
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2011 Harley Davidson Road King Police
Gorgeous Wife, 4 kids, 18 Foster kids, Retired State Trooper/Former US Marine.
35 REPLIES 35

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I have to start out by saying, "I hate spellcheck software." Every time i make a post I must go back through edit and undo all the spell checking. The program has no tolerance for jargon, of which we use a lot. In addition, I can type as fast as I can think, so I don't watch the result until it's a paragraph too late. Editorial: OFF.
Old Days and TX Gearhead make the same recommendations that I would.
The 825 is on the same short bed, narrow/less tall/not so wide platform as my older Lance 165-s with the same dimensions, and the same wet weight, except many of the accessories and cold weather details are much improved. Aluminum frame also. It is adequate for 2 people ONLY. I hope those 4 kids are out of there and you are in STAGE II (out of the house and out of your pocket).
Your Ford 2 series is close enough to beef up the suspension and tires. We've had good luck with our '98 Lance and considered dumping it for a new Lane 650, but I've upgraded so many systems that after weighing the cost vs. time left to use it, we decided to keep it and run it the rest of the way into the ground. The only downside I can see with the 650 is it's 3 or 4" taller because the fridge was moved up high on the edge of cab over bed area.
Another idea is to keep the MoHo and get a minimalist pop up as a contrast to you luxury RV. That way you could pick and chose which platform to use.
Just a word about hard side vs. Soft side. They each have things they can do better than the other.
Our 165-s is now insulated and very, very quiet overnight. So much so that if we're in a rowdy camp situation, the noise just doesn't matter. My brother John's 9.5 foot OUTFITTER! was filled with silt when we sat out a desert windstorm at the Hammers and the wind noise was pretty intense. In the Lance, we've slept in winds up to 90 mph and it was quiet. We did have some fear that the rig was going to go over though. But is was quiet! However, he does have a lower profile which helps when going, 'off-road' as you are want to do. Here's a pic of his '99 Ford II series diesel, long bed, stock height with OUTFITTER! It's about 16 inches lower than my '01 Dodge II series, short bed, 3 inch lift, larger tires, hard side:

Of course, his is palatial in the up position, compared to mine. You would think the Lance would weigh more than the OUTFITTER! by looking at the pic, but you'd be dead wrong. His wet weight is a few hundred pounds more. Some of that is in bigger tanks.
Also, if stealth appeals to you, the rule of thumb is to have an RV that doesn't change shape or look like anyone is home. i.e.: pop ups; pop outs; awnings.
After 15 years with the Lance we are so used to it, it's like an old pair of shoes. I know every creak and groan: what it can and cannot do.
One last thing: for short duration RV trips into the boonies, you can't beat a pop up. For longer duration trips, especially in bad weather, the hard side starts to tip the scales as there is nothing to set up.
Looking to downsize, you must decide how far down you want to go and what you can do with and do without. Keep us informed.It's always fun to watch the platform change process.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
Decide on the camper first.
I like the Artic Fox, Silver Fox model
It is will made and insulated to keep the heat both in and out!

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
My boat weighs what you heep does (cruiser guy here, heep on purpose).

You've got enough truck, just some mods and you could step into a full hard side like have if you wish..
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
Old Days wrote:
Go look at a Lance 825 its a great camper for two people. With a few suspension up grades you can carry a 825. Just look at my profile.

X2 on the Lance 825. Great little camper for your truck. E rated tires and some stableloads would be a good start to carry that. I like the 825 so much, I wish I had a shortbed.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Six Pac used to make fairly light weight small hard side campers with shower and toilet. Dad had one from the 70's (8 foot) and I had one from the 80's (8-1/2 foot). Both had shower and flushing toilet, 3 way fridge, etc, just like larger campers. I think Six Pac are now out of business, some time in the last few years, but you can still find them used on craigslist or rv trader, etc.

Capri Campers of Texas also makes a deluxe 8 foot hard side camper with full bath that isn't too heavy. They are very popular among the rodeo crowd, who pull heavy horse trailers behind their trucks.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
tommy salmon wrote:
Steve in 29 - Semper Fi Brother! Thanks for clearing up the cassette toilet question! You knew exactly what I was thinking! Now I get it, and will reconsider some.

Semper Fi back at you. (77-95)

If you have any questions about Outfitters feel free to ask via PM if you prefer.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
Steve in 29 - Semper Fi Brother! Thanks for clearing up the cassette toilet question! You knew exactly what I was thinking! Now I get it, and will reconsider some.
2018 Thor Chateau 24F

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 - Jeep can barely run highway speeds at full throttle, and towing capacity is about 1,000 pounds, and if I roll it, break an axle, etc, I still need a way to get home. Toyhauler large enough to fit a jeep inside would be just as big as my motorhome, so no backcountry camping.
2018 Thor Chateau 24F

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
OK, got the real off-road Jeep.
Is it street legal? Why not pull TT with it?
Other option is toy hauler behind F250
I bet the Jeep tires cost way more than standard size on trailers.

Pull a TT behind a Jeep? Really? Only option would be one of the smaller pop-up tent campers.

* fixed quote
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
OP, going with a cassette toilet doesn't mean you can't have a shower as well. Outfitter, Northstar and hallmark all have such setups.

To be clear I and others are talking about this.

and not this when we say cassette toilet.

Something like the Outfitter Apex8 should work well for your needs with its relatively lightweight construction and the lower height from the pop-up roof allowing easier navigation of overgrown roads into campsites. It is a fully equipped camper with all the amenities of any hardside but in a more compact travel package.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, got the real off-road Jeep.
Is it street legal? Why not pull TT with it?
Other option is toy hauler behind F250
I bet the Jeep tires cost way more than standard size on trailers.

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Why I don't get in this scenario?
Driving F250 short bed 4x4 and tow Jeep?
What for?

Because you aren't driving that F250 over the off-road trails.

tommy_salmon
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg 1 - The Jeep is for SERIOUS four wheeling. Lifted, locking rear differential, winch, skid plates, etc.
2018 Thor Chateau 24F

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why I don't get in this scenario?
Driving F250 short bed 4x4 and tow Jeep?
What for?

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old Days wrote:
Go look at a Lance 825 its a great camper for two people. With a few suspension up grades you can carry a 825. Just look at my profile.

Are you also towing a Jeep like the OP wants to do?