cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to purchase my first TT

atrinh15
Explorer
Explorer
So im looking to purchase my first TT and im looking at a 2007 Fleetwood Wilderness 32ft. It has quad bunks 1 slide and queen bed. Are there things I should be looking for during the purchase. Ive been reading a lot of forums with people having leaks and damage to the trailer. Any help would be appreciated. And if anyone has bought this type of trailer please let me know how it has been.

Thanks in advance
atrinh15
16 REPLIES 16

atrinh15
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Just a pet peeve of mine, can you access the bathroom and kitchen with the slide closed?

To be honest im not sure. Im going to take a look at the trailer probably next week.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Just a pet peeve of mine, can you access the bathroom and kitchen with the slide closed?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

atrinh15
Explorer
Explorer
This is great info from all. Thank you. I def don't have to fill the tanks to i get there but def good info if I decide to take it camping.

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
Like the others have said, a trailer parked that long likely wasn't maintained too well. Check everywhere for leaks and moisture damage.

Also check for mice and insect damage. Look behind panels, furniture etc.

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
And it'll run like 7,800-9,300 wet (GVWR) which is the number you really need to pay most attention to. Here's a good calculator:
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

And double-check your wheelbase/tow rating/axle ratio. I saw they actually come in a range of sizes and strengths.

The trailer in my sig also was barely used and so far so good. Having a friend check her out before my first shakedown cruise. Can't go wrong with having a dealer inspect it.

Above all, don't fall in love with it. Trailers come and go all the time. If it isn't right, wait.
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!

atrinh15
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah the trailer weighs about 5800-6800 dry weight. The tundra tows 10100 but I don't want to get close to it. I plan on being as safe as possible I'm towing my life (wife and kids) not only other families. With the trailer sitting most of its life barely used kinda scares me. But the price is pretty good just about 7k Bo

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
AirForceAngler wrote:
That's going to be quite a bit of TT for a Tundra. I wouldn't want to pull it very far with that truck.

I'm no RV old-timer, but from what I've read I think he'll be fine. He said it's a CrewMax. Wheelbase is 145.7 inches. There is a rule I've seen passed around: You should have a vehicle with a 110" wheelbase for a 23' trailer plus 4" per additional foot. So that's 146", right on the money. Towing capacity is around 10,000lbs. He's close on that; He'd have to keep an eye on trailer gross weights, passenger weights, vehicle GVWR/GAWR, etc., but I think he can do it.
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I'm correct, the GVW for the Wilderness is 7,900 lbs. If you keep the weight of the trailer down to about 7500 lbs., the Tundra should pull it without a problem if you have a properly set-up weight distributing hitch.

As whether to buy the trailer, I'd follow the advice given about thoroughly checking it for any damage, especially water leaks and know beforehand how extensive hidden water damage can be.

Do you really need a unit that big? I'd consider buying something a bit newer, around 4-5 years old that hasn't been sitting unused (unless kept inside a covered storage area). And, have you considered that if you buy something that's easy to tow with the Tundra, you may decide to use it for more than while you're working on your house?
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
All the above recommendations +

HOW TO DETERMINE TIRE AGE

My guess is you'll have to replace the tires, even if they look OK. Appearance of a tire IS NOT an indicator.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

atrinh15
Explorer
Explorer
Mark and Linda wrote:
Awning condition? Crawl underneath the trailer and give it a look. Stowage compartments....look inside to see if any leaks.

No awning on this unit. Wierd i know. But i don't really need it either.

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
That's going to be quite a bit of TT for a Tundra. I wouldn't want to pull it very far with that truck.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
We had a smaller wilderness with bunk beds and was not pleased with it. If we had bought a bigger one like you are looking at we would probably still have it as the we had was too small. Otherwise we really liked the Wilderness.

You will get lots of advise here so I will give you just a few pointers. Go to every window and push on the walls around them if the wood gives there has been leakage and the walls are rotted. Also do the same around the door and the vents and AC units. Get on the roof and check for the condition up there. If you see the AC units sagging the roof, that is a sign that there could be leakage around them and water will accumulate there when it rains. If you are unsure about the roof, take it to an independent RV repair shop (avoid dealers as they will want to sell you a trailer and may not give you a true evaluation).

Outside the trailer examine the window, door, and around the water heater and fridge for signs of leakage. If there are gaps between the sealant and these places, this is another sign that there may be leakage.

The biggest thing it to look at the trailer like it is one its last leg and you are trying to find anything good about it. DO NOT glaze over problems as if they are not really that bad. Assume the worst possible scenario for each thing. We never had any problems with our wilderness except it was too small for the 5 of us. It pulled great and handled very well in crosswinds.

If we had a vehicle big enough to pull a TT, Wilderness would have been on my list. But we didn't and found the MH we bought, a rough gem for a great price. I have a bucket list of things we want to do to her but that is just to make her ours, and not just like every other one that is still in use.

Good luck and happy traveling.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Awning condition? Crawl underneath the trailer and give it a look. Stowage compartments....look inside to see if any leaks.
Mark

atrinh15
Explorer
Explorer
Its the second owner and he hasnt used it much at all. Its been parked for four years. So tires are probably cracked or original. im going to go see it sometime soon. Only if the snow lets up here in Massachusetts.

Pulling it with my 08 tundra crewmax. Wife and kids (3and 1). Wont be pulling it a whole lot. Mainly using it at my camp so i can fix the house.