cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to upgrade to a TT after hybrid for 14 years!

Brika
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone! We bought a 2006 Jayco 23B hybrid in the summer of 2004 (yes my years are accurate) and we've taken very good care of it. We've had so much fun with her, and now that our daughters are 14 and almost 13, I'm feeling the need for some more space and less set up. The kids have argued about sharing the back bunk for about 3 years, it's time. I want to still enjoy camping!

So- I'm looking for advice. We want the following:
outdoor kitchen (with fridge)
external speakers
seperate bedroom for the Parents
at least two bunks
light weight to tow as possible.

Maybe we should open our minds to 5th wheel too? We haven't been in the RV shopping mode for a VERY long time. I found one that interests us, it's a 2012 Keystone Hornet Hideout 30BHDS.

I'd be super appreciative to hear your thoughts.

🙂
19 REPLIES 19

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
ralph day wrote:
Best outdoor speakers have a cord and fit in your ears. Can't understand why people feel the need to entertain everyone in the campground. I like the "radio free" sites.

It helps them tolerate other peoples' yapping dogs, blowing cigarette smoke and mosquito fogging noisy diesels. :B

I'm partial to Jayco for the features you list. Like any other brand, check that you can get to the fridge and bathroom with the slide in. If you're tall, make sure it has a full 80" queen bed. Check tub to ceiling height. Some tubs are raised and a tall guy can't stand in the tub/shower. I pass on any TT that has a cable driven slide and I'd really have to like it otherwise to settle for hydraulics. Our 2" receiver is a must for carrying our two 26 lb Trek bikes on the rear. Counter space, closet space, storage space, tank capacity, seating, television placement can all add to or subtract from a camping trip. Just a few thoughts.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Drew510
Explorer
Explorer
ralph day wrote:
Best outdoor speakers have a cord and fit in your ears. Can't understand why people feel the need to entertain everyone in the campground. I like the "radio free" sites.

Our trailer has outdoor speakers. On our first trip, we discovered the monkeys at the factory hooked them up wrong when we put a movie on for the kids before bed. They had wired the rear inside and outside speakers together as well as the front inside and outside, so no matter which speaker set you chose (A or B), you got sound inside and outside the trailer. Needless to say, they went without a movie that night and I spent some time the next morning pulling and rewiring the radio.

We haven't used the outside ones much as we don't spend much time hanging outside by the trailer during the day.
Trailer: 2017 Heartland Mallard IDM29

TV: 2003 Chevy Suburban Quadrasteer 3/4 ton 6.0
Enhancements:
40k Aux transmission cooler
Black Bear Performance Tune
Power Stop brakes
Sumo Springs
Pioneer in-dash DVD with backup camera

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
ralph day wrote:

Our new camper has outdoor speakers but, I'm not sure why. They are cool but, I like to be a good neighbor so.. Every Christmas we go to the beach and choose a site off by ourselves. Then perhaps we might use it..or not..

dbdap
Explorer
Explorer
We were in the exact same situation bought a Jayco 23B in 2004 kept it till last year, needed something different as our kids grew. Ended up with a keystone passport 2400BH, has all the features you have listed and a few additional things we appropriate such as larger tanks (fresh and holding), automatic awning ETC. Gave up having a separate couch and dinette, don't miss it as we typically do not spend to much time in the camper during the day.

ata3001
Explorer
Explorer
ralph day wrote:

X2
Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 w/full factory dark tinted glass. (9 .yrs w/o any issues)
2014 Chevy Silverado LT Dbl cab, 5.3 L, 4 WD, tow pkg, max payload pkg, Prodigy

Drew510
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Heartland Mallard M29 with two "full" bunks. Take a look at the floor plan as it is available by many different brands. Ours does not have an outdoor kitchen, but the Jayco 29BHDB does.
Trailer: 2017 Heartland Mallard IDM29

TV: 2003 Chevy Suburban Quadrasteer 3/4 ton 6.0
Enhancements:
40k Aux transmission cooler
Black Bear Performance Tune
Power Stop brakes
Sumo Springs
Pioneer in-dash DVD with backup camera

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
Since your daughters are used to sleeping under canvas, have you considered getting a trailer for the adults and a cabin tent for the girls? You get your privacy, they get theirs (especially important as they are now teens), and you don't have to get a monster trailer.

the_happiestcamper wrote:
ralph day wrote:

We have a bluetooth speaker - I'll hook it to my phone and make sure it's aimed where others can't hear (I do a perimeter walk just to be sure).

I certainly appreciate people like you. In WI state parks the rule is that if it can be heard in the next camp site it's too loud.

I agree it's so rude to have to listen to someone else's music

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at both Fifth Wheels and Travel Trailers. You don't jump from camper to camper a lot so it seems to me that you owe it to yourselves to check out all your options. Fifth wheels are shorter going down the road and they tow better, but they tie up bed space, tend to cost more and require more truck. One isn't better than the other, it just depends on your priorities.

Toy haulers are another option as most can be had with a pair of drop down queen bunks in the back and a main bedroom up front. They can be had in TT or fifth wheel form. They tend to run a little heavier than camper trailers but are better suited to non-hookup camping with larger tanks and on-board generators. This is the direction we are planning on taking with our next one.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Since your daughters are used to sleeping under canvas, have you considered getting a trailer for the adults and a cabin tent for the girls? You get your privacy, they get theirs (especially important as they are now teens), and you don't have to get a monster trailer.

the_happiestcamper wrote:
ralph day wrote:

We have a bluetooth speaker - I'll hook it to my phone and make sure it's aimed where others can't hear (I do a perimeter walk just to be sure).

I certainly appreciate people like you. In WI state parks the rule is that if it can be heard in the next camp site it's too loud.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
ralph day wrote:

Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to consider - in a hybrid, you have windows on all four sides. That is hard to find in a TT, so if you are used to having a nice breeze, you may have to invest in some 12 volt fans (and it's still not the same).
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

ralph_day
Explorer
Explorer

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We like our entry-level Springdale. It's similar to what you're looking for, but they have other floor plans. There are tons of manufacturers that have what you seek. Good luck.
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of floor plans that fit that description including my Bullet 274BHS (now 277bhs).

Front queen with rear double over double bunks are offered in almost every trailer line these days.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH