cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Love the Lance 2375 layout: but the price! Any alternatives?

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
We've been in our Rockwood 2502 ultralight (3600# dry - see sig) going on 15 years. We've pulled it all over the country and nothing major has failed (thank you Lord!). Admittedly I am quite handy, and have done a good job keeping up after this and that.

Anyway, we've been daydreaming about what we might get if not in this trailer (for whatever reason). So I've looked around a bit and it seems that everything in the size we like (25-27') is at least a couple thousand pounds heavier! This seems to be on account of everything has slides these days . . . We like our smaller, V8 4Runner tow vehicle - it fits in the garage and is also a great vehicle for narrow mountain 4x4 roads.

I did spot something which has an awesome floor plan we really, really like - the Lance 2375. The weight is a bit more, but might be doable with the 4Runner (or other smaller V8). BUT, what I'm seeing of prices on these is quite shocking (e.g., $35k for a used 2018)! This is up there in Arctic Fox or Airstream territory price-wise!

Is the quality or materials that great on a Lance that they can justify a price tag of $50,000+ new!? We paid $16k for our Rockwood 2502 fifteen years ago, and just can't justify that kind of rarefied price for something we currently use no more than 4-6 weeks a year.

Does anybody know of a decent light-weight with that basic floor plan, with a price that won't give us a major coronary?
Mighty 4Runner Sport V8 4x4 - over 200k
Hensley Hitch
McKesh Mirrors, Geolandar G015 Tires
Hopkins Insight Brake Controller
Tranny: Hayden Cooler/Fan & CyberDyne Gauge
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic fluids everywhere!
Rockwood 2502 Ultralight TT (3600 lb. dry)!
20 REPLIES 20

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with that. I might take a shorter Lance a ways out, but probably not too far. They already sit low, even with the riser kit. I heard that there was an upholstery company in Denver that builds a custom cover for the front windows. Dunno the name.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I have been camping for 35 years and find some of these posts somewhat off base.....all this offroad camping.lol and vibration.

These are travel trailers not Jeep Rubicons.

Give trailer manufacturers some credit even though you don't own one of they're units. Lol

We've looked at Lance and can find nothing negative to say other than " wish we could afford one " very nice trailers.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
All the whining and complaining about TT issues is related to the fact that they are built to a price point. You get what you pay for.

Lance is one of the smaller volume makers that rate high with their owners. They are considered buy many to be a cut above the rest. However, like Airstream, they come with a price.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Many manufacturers have eliminated front windows entirely because they are so prone to water leaks.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't heard from Lance yet about the material of the window, but I saw another thread on here where a rock shattered it. They said it was dual pane glass and only the o/s pane broke, so they were able to keep going on their trip. They said the cost was around $1000 and was easy to replace. They were wondering if some sort of protection could be had for the window, but didn't come to any solution.

Also various others ones on the internet saying they've had these window break - not a good thing!
Hensley Hitch

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
badercubed wrote:
I assume the front window would basically be windshield glass. That is what our Nano is.
Yeah, that may be. I guess it wouldn't be any more susceptible to thrown rocks than your vehicle's windshield. But I must say we like the cover that our Rockwood front window has, as it also turns into a little shade awning when opened.

I did just email Lance asking about the front window material, as I'm curious.
Hensley Hitch

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
I assume the front window would basically be windshield glass. That is what our Nano is.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
My brother bought a Lance 2285 in 2017. I have to say that a Lance has a lot of nice features. Seely mattress. Dimming lights. Fancy covers on the LP tanks. The upholstery has very fine fitting, almost locking together like a puzzle. Really nice day and night shades. The fit and finish is really nice. I do think they are a cut above my ORV when it comes to fit,finish,bells, whistles, details and niceties. But, I don't think they are as durable when it comes to bouncing down a dirt road for miles as Northwood or ORV is. All comes down to what is right for you and if the Lance bells and whistles are what you want to spend you $$$$ on. I like some of the Lance goodies, but I love my ORV.
You bring up a good point. While 90% of our camping is off of paved/smooth roads, we do like to get back into some remote dry camping places from time to time. I have experienced taking trailers down wash-boarded forest roads, where things really tend to come apart from the vibration. And concerning all the "bells & whistles," they are nice, but we're probably more on the minimalist side of things usually - less to go wrong and to care for! As a church buddy likes to say, "The more stuff ya got, the more you have to think about!"

One thing I wondered regarding Lance TTs: The front window. We have really enjoyed the front window in our trailer, which is above the bed, and consider having one pretty high on the priority list. A Lance pulled in beside us yesterday as we were leaving Flagstaff, and it had tape all over the front window. I didn't have a chance to ask the owner, but my guess is a rock flew up and hit that nice/pretty front window. Most brands come with a cover that comes down over the front window to prevent such things. Again, I don't know for sure that this fellow's window was broken from a thrown rock, but I'm guessing that was the case since it was all taped up. (I would think Lance must use some sort of Lexan or other breakage resistant material on these . . .)
Hensley Hitch

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
My brother bought a Lance 2285 in 2017. I have to say that a Lance has a lot of nice features. Seely mattress. Dimming lights. Fancy covers on the LP tanks. The upholstery has very fine fitting, almost locking together like a puzzle. Really nice day and night shades. The fit and finish is really nice. I do think they are a cut above my ORV when it comes to fit,finish,bells, whistles, details and niceties. But, I don't think they are as durable when it comes to bouncing down a dirt road for miles as Northwood or ORV is. All comes down to what is right for you and if the Lance bells and whistles are what you want to spend you $$$$ on. I like some of the Lance goodies, but I love my ORV.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
To me, the Rockwood/Flaggstaff lines offer many models and are a lot of trailer for the money. I'm sure in the mini lite or lite models you can find something that fits your price and weight range.
I've been all over the Rockwood website and just don't see what we're looking for. Our 2502 utralight was one of the 7.5' wide trailers, which helped keep weight down, but I don't see they are making those anymore (was really a plus for a number of reasons, and we just don't miss that extra 6" of width). The Rockwood Mini seems to be what's taken the place of the true ultralights, but I just don't see the floor plans there we want. Is there really anything much different in the Flagstaff line? (there didn't used to be)

So thanks for the input! My conclusion at this point, and after just doing another 2k mile swing through the Rockies the past couple weeks, is to keep the ol' 2502 together as long as I can - or as my dad would say, "Keep hanging parts on 'er 'till the wheels fall off!" It's pretty much the same tact I think I'll take with the whole rig: Trailer, V8 4Runner and Hensley!

At least for now . . .
Hensley Hitch

KM_Rolling
Explorer
Explorer
TeryT wrote:
We've been in our Rockwood 2502 ultralight (3600# dry - see sig) going on 15 years. We've pulled it all over the country and nothing major has failed (thank you Lord!). Admittedly I am quite handy, and have done a good job keeping up after this and that.

Anyway, we've been daydreaming about what we might get if not in this trailer (for whatever reason). So I've looked around a bit and it seems that everything in the size we like (25-27') is at least a couple thousand pounds heavier! This seems to be on account of everything has slides these days . . . We like our smaller, V8 4Runner tow vehicle - it fits in the garage and is also a great vehicle for narrow mountain 4x4 roads.

I did spot something which has an awesome floor plan we really, really like - the Lance 2375. The weight is a bit more, but might be doable with the 4Runner (or other smaller V8). BUT, what I'm seeing of prices on these is quite shocking (e.g., $35k for a used 2018)! This is up there in Arctic Fox or Airstream territory price-wise!

Is the quality or materials that great on a Lance that they can justify a price tag of $50,000+ new!? We paid $16k for our Rockwood 2502 fifteen years ago, and just can't justify that kind of rarefied price for something we currently use no more than 4-6 weeks a year.

Does anybody know of a decent light-weight with that basic floor plan, with a price that won't give us a major coronary?

We have had really good experiences (20k+ miles a year) with our Freedom Express Toy Haulers.

I cannot say that the Freedom Express Travel Trailers are built to the same quality, but it seems they would be.

Take a look at them here, they may be what you are looking for.

https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/freedom-express-ultra-lite

I believe you'll find the price much easier to stomach.
Kevin & Mary
2018 Ford F150 3.5 EB HDPP 8' Bed - For Sale
2020 Ford F350 6.7 PSD 4X4 DRW CC LB
2019 Coachmen 271BL Toy Hauler

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
To me, the Rockwood/Flaggstaff lines offer many models and are a lot of trailer for the money. I'm sure in the mini lite or lite models you can find something that fits your price and weight range.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
TeryT wrote:
badercubed wrote:
Coachman Apex Nano 213RDS

This is our first year in our Apex Nano, but the build quality is very good and you can't beat their weights for what you get in their floorplans.
Thanks for sharing that! It is not bad on the weight department at all and is the closest I've seen weight-wise in a 25' to our Rockwood 2502. It looks like it only has one propane tank - is that correct? And also only a two burner stove with no oven, right?
Our 208BHS has a two burner stove and no oven, so I'd assume this is the same. The stove works well and I've never used an oven except to store our bread, so that was a plus for us.

It also came with one propane tank that I easily upgraded to dual 30lb tanks and dual batteries. Maybe $150 worth of parts from Amazon.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
In our research it does appear that Lance does practice superior craftsmanship on they're units.
The 2375 is exactly what we're looking at and will likely be the route we take.

Grand Designs has some floorplans we like also as does ORV.
Good luck and keep us posted.
I've read various posts where people generally agree the Lances are a little better built, but many say that they still don't warrant the much higher price.

And the Grand Designs are nice, but all those nice-ities just run too heavy for us.
Hensley Hitch