cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Manual Awning Issue

jorge1958
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks. Question for you. The manual awning on my travel trailer will not pull out all the way. When I pull it out it stops with what looks like a couple feet to go. I have retracted it and tried again several times. It just will not pull out all the way. It just locks up. Other then that it works fine. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks
2000 Mallard 26E
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500
11 REPLIES 11

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
FF286 wrote:
Barneyโ€™s response was my first thought.

That's my thought also!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
Barneyโ€™s response was my first thought.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
What brand/model awning? Barney may be right if it's one of the common Sunchaser/Dometics. Here's a video.

Otherwise, if it's never opened up fully, it may have been installed with too much pre-tension of the roller springs. That should be a warranty issue.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like maybe the black knobs on the two rails that slide inside the main awning arms are not loosened up. If they are tight, they will allow the awning to unroll almost all the way and then stop.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jorge1958
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas. I have had the trailer for a year. Everytime i attempt to pull it out it stops with a couple feet to go. The arms are all straight. Nothing seems bent. The awning material it self is smooth. When you get to the last 2 feet your done. It will not free up. Probably take it to a shop and see what they can do. Thanks
2000 Mallard 26E
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Sound like the spring inside the tube might be binding or partially broken if nothing on the outside is physically stopping it.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
Are the stabilizer arms bent or binding. These are the arms at the top that go from the RV out to the roller tube. If they are slightly bent or twisted from wind damage it will stop the awning from deploying completely.

Not just wind damage but if the awning material itself has slipped even slightly in one direction or another, whether in the track securing it to the trailer or along the awning tube, it will create a lateral force that can cause the inner awning arms to not seat properly within the outer arms. However, I wouldn't think this would be noticeable when the awning is still 2' out from full extension but rather just as it's about to close completely. Whether manual or power, it's happened to me, and the solution is to simply redress the awning fabric so it is being pulled evenly as it retracts.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Are the stabilizer arms bent or binding. These are the arms at the top that go from the RV out to the roller tube. If they are slightly bent or twisted from wind damage it will stop the awning from deploying completely.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What material is the awning fabric?
Seeing from Oregon, was it put up wet? The awning fabric could be sticvking to itself.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Questions - is this a new to you trailer or one you've owned for some time now? Did the awning otherwise work fine 'til now and suddenly now it doesn't? :@

X2
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Questions - is this a new to you trailer or one you've owned for some time now? Did the awning otherwise work fine 'til now and suddenly now it doesn't? :@
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380