Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

marker light question

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
OK..forgive if this is stupid.

My husband totally rebuilt the roof on our little baby Bronco pop up truck camper. So..it is time to replace the marker lights - of course upgrading to LED.
Question #1..is there a specific number of lights required? There were 5 across the back and I would like to eliminate 3 so I can put my awning mount there (VERY limited space back there) That would make 2 red across the back towards the corners, 2 red at the back sidecorners, 2 amber at the front sidecorners and 4 amber across the front. That sound OK?

Question #2..where have you found the best prices for LED lights? And what should I look for. Seems to be a vast assortment. Some are 4 inches wide...some are 2 inches.

Expect more stupid questions. And I will make sure we get pictures. I think he has done a great job.
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon
19 REPLIES 19

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Yes as noted there are DOT requirements. Specifically address and related to physical dimensions, has nothing to do with weights, capacities or commercial-
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Cars/rules/standards/conspicuity/TBMpstr.html
If its over 80" & over wide the 3 center ID lights (visualy state presence of wide vehicle 80"+) and corner clearance lights ( visualy show width) are required on both the front and rear. However If truck cab has ID lights not required also on front of box though rear & corner marker lights still are.
As I read the requirements if under 80" the 3 ID (and outer top corner clearance/marker lights) are not required. Though Id still run the clearance lights just for visibility. Pop up not so much maybe but makes ensuring not hitting something a bit easier.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
johnhealey1776 I believe has the answer. I don't believe that it makes any difference whether it is a camper or a semi. If they were not required do you think the manufacturers would install them. Not for a second would they install them. They are all about getting the biggest return on each unit so if they could save the cost of the lights on them they would do it.

This is IMO.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
check with dot I think that it is 5 red rear 5 amber front maybe just commercial units

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure there IS a "requirement" for truckcampers since they're not "vehicles", but I think the same standards for trailer sidemarkers are applied: Amber for front, red for back. (Sides only- taillights fulfill the purpose at the rear.)

I replaced the (four) sidemarkers on my trailer with LED's I bought at a truck stop. Bought a four pack each of red and amber thinking it smart to have a couple of spares. Cost was about fifteen dollars a pack as I recall.

Seven years later, I STILL haven't had to swap them out!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

johnhealey1776
Explorer
Explorer
Found this.... just worth replacing for sure. Led's are brighter, but its not like an interior light that will drain your batts... its only on then the truck is running.

Under 80" wide, no. If it is 80" or wider it is required for the federal motor vehicle safety standard.

http://www.ntea.com/uploadedFiles/NTEA_Site_Home/Technical_Resources/Lighting_Guide/fmvss_lighting_c...