cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mattress Upgrade?

Quattro15
Explorer
Explorer
I've been a tent/hammock camper for years. Having a mattress in my TT is awesome BUT this mattress that my camper came with is horribly firm. In a thought to upgrade I'm looking at Memory Foam Mattresses since they are cheaper than a regular mattress and I feel they would be more comfortable also.

I'm also drawn towards some weight savings though...and am thinking about getting a pair of Thermarest Dreamtime air mattresses instead. I've never slept on a Dreamtime but all the reviews are great.

Has anyone else gone this route to save some weight? Does that mattress compare to a 8 inch memory foam?
2006 Toyota Tundra Doublecab
2016 Coleman 192RDS
23 REPLIES 23

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I found a mattress factory in Phoenix. They custom made one to my specs. Got a 13"thick pillow top for a hair over 200.00 It only took them 4 days to do it. It is fantastic!! It is also very light. I used the toppers for years, and they do make a big improvement.... But after getting this mattress, I don't feel the toppers are worth the money.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Signature Sleep 8" Memory foam $240 with a nice mattress pad $28. Sleeps just like my home bed mattress that is the 12" version.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Serta IComfort from Sams . 450.00 full queen. Sleeps wonderful.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Once you own a Sleep Number bed/mattress you'll never be satisfied with anything else.

tshirtman
Explorer
Explorer
Our new to us trailer came with a HEAVY memory foam mattress. Weighs a TON.
Hope it is as good as everyone says:)

RwaSmith
Explorer
Explorer
WE ordered this one and love it.

Link
2016 Forrest River Vibe 308BHS
2010 Chevy Suburban 2500

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
We chucked our OEM mattress as soon as we got the trailer. Having slept on original mattresses in other campers, I knew it would be miserable sleeping on it. We use a Colman 4-n-1 airbed, as we deflate it in our collapsible TrailManor when we travel. Simple to inflate. HOWEVER, in looking for a link, I noticed there are very different designs of the same item. ours has a zippered connector flap between the two units, so we don't slip between them. Some that I found for about the same price as what we paid, don't appear to have the same connector between them.

But, we top it with a foam egg-crate topper, which makes it as comfortable as our Sleep-number bed at home.

Great bed for under $100. We use a 12v inflator to pump it up when we arrive at camp. You may not need to deflate between trips, but I bet it would lose air over a month or two. I don't have to inflate after the first time when we camp for a week.

Good luck! A very comfortable bed makes a world of difference.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
I stumbled on the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, and DW agrees. It's in our park model, which is winter headquarters. It's a memory foam 6", pretty firm and on top we added a medium density open cell foam topper, 2". Compared to our expensive sleep number bed it is no contest, no matter where the number is set. Cheap and great sleep! The memory foam alone wasn't very good at all, it was that 2" medium density topper that did the trick.

Mrs__O_Mordha
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this one from Amazon for $275 last year and it is very comfortable. Definitely worth the money!

Link

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
We're foam topper users ourselves. In our old trailer, the mattress was junk, so we bought a cheap foam/inner spring mattress and put a memory foam topper on it and it was great. In our new trailer it came with a "premium" mattress, but it's still crappy. The memory foam topper makes a world of difference. In an ideal world, I'd upgrade it to a full size queen with no need for the topper, but for now it works great and was a free solution since we already had it. I bought the topper off Overstock.com for like $80 many years ago and it's been great both in the rv and out.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

Gambit80
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 3" memory foam topper and the difference is night and day. I would recommend that first, and larger mattress purchase after that, if needed.
Me(40), DW(40), DS(21), DS(21)
2015 Forest River Salem 26TBUD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC, 5.9 CTD

Deleted_per_op
Explorer
Explorer
Quattro15 wrote:
I've also been looking at the Dynasty Mattresses on Amazon if anyone has one of those.

Mattresses are one of the items that I want to touch and feel (actually lie down on) before I buy it. I can't imagine buying a mattress online without knowing what it actually feels like first. Other people's opinions and ratings don't matter much if I don't find it comfortable. My ideas of "firm" or "soft" or "comfortable" likely are not the same as yours.
Dave

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
If your weight is so close your worried about the weight of the mattresses you have bigger problems.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
They're definitely not mattresses that you want to fall face first into lol. For us, adding one of those modern egg crate foam toppers was perfect. Weighs next to nothing.