cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Max Air vent covers

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Need to install 2. Question is what type of sealant do I need to use?
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
22 REPLIES 22

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Installed my Fantastic Vent today at the campground. Now my Fantastic Fan in my rear living area is covered and come milder weather I can leave it open all the time. ๐Ÿ™‚
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Did both today.

wrvond wrote:
Just for clarity, I'm going to refer to the little plastic square thingy that sits atop the vent opening that is cranked up and down to allow air in or keep it in as a vent lid, and those big ol' plastic thingies that look like little dog houses that sit on top of vents that allow you to keep the vent lid open while it is raining outside and not let the rain inside, as vent covers.

If you have lost your vent lid, it is possible to purchase and install a replacement lid. However, this endeavor is fraught with difficulties and pitfalls. You need to know what brand and size vent/lid you had up there before the catastrophe. Not all vent lids are created equal. Also, you are going to have to climb up on the roof to verify that the departure of the old vent lid did not cause collateral damage. IMHO, it is much easier to simply replace the entire vent/lid assembly. There are installation instructions with the new kits, plus many youtube videos.
Once you have installed or repaired your vent/lid, you may want to install a vent cover. A vent cover is "aerodynamically" designed to not catch the wind while the camper is rolling down the road. On the "tall" side it has a louvered vent. This allows you to leave your vent lid open and protected from most water intrusion (though I've seen heavy rains that blow in or splash a lot of water in). The vent cover does not mount flush to the roof, so why they put bug screens on them is beyond me. One thing to be aware of - the manufacturer of the Fantastic Fan vent says that a specific vent cover is required for their vent, but many have reported no problem installing the popular Maxx Air vent covers over the Fantastic Fan vent.
Maxx Air does sell a vent cover that has it's own fan built in with a very acute, downward facing angle to it's face that promises to keep pretty much all water out. But, as noted earlier, it is pricy.
I hope this clears up the OP's question.

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just for clarity, I'm going to refer to the little plastic square thingy that sits atop the vent opening that is cranked up and down to allow air in or keep it in as a vent lid, and those big ol' plastic thingies that look like little dog houses that sit on top of vents that allow you to keep the vent lid open while it is raining outside and not let the rain inside, as vent covers.

If you have lost your vent lid, it is possible to purchase and install a replacement lid. However, this endeavor is fraught with difficulties and pitfalls. You need to know what brand and size vent/lid you had up there before the catastrophe. Not all vent lids are created equal. Also, you are going to have to climb up on the roof to verify that the departure of the old vent lid did not cause collateral damage. IMHO, it is much easier to simply replace the entire vent/lid assembly. There are installation instructions with the new kits, plus many youtube videos.
Once you have installed or repaired your vent/lid, you may want to install a vent cover. A vent cover is "aerodynamically" designed to not catch the wind while the camper is rolling down the road. On the "tall" side it has a louvered vent. This allows you to leave your vent lid open and protected from most water intrusion (though I've seen heavy rains that blow in or splash a lot of water in). The vent cover does not mount flush to the roof, so why they put bug screens on them is beyond me. One thing to be aware of - the manufacturer of the Fantastic Fan vent says that a specific vent cover is required for their vent, but many have reported no problem installing the popular Maxx Air vent covers over the Fantastic Fan vent.
Maxx Air does sell a vent cover that has it's own fan built in with a very acute, downward facing angle to it's face that promises to keep pretty much all water out. But, as noted earlier, it is pricy.
I hope this clears up the OP's question.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
FYI----Create a Breeze is a Fan-tastic fan. Just one of the models. Best fan going, I believe. Like the made in USA, too.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
rexlion wrote:
Installation was so easy, even I was able to do it!
Hey, you should have left that line for CavemanCharly. :B

That's what I was thinking.

But, I never have installed one. Though about it but, it just more money I really don't need to spend. Would be nice though.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
zackyboy3rs wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
by vent cover are you talking about the one that cranks up and down, which is what it sounds like in your explanation, or a cover that fits over the entire fitting so you can crack open the vent in the rain?
don't know why the loss of a maxxaire type of cover would cause water to come in since you could just crank down the lid/cover.

bumpy

Sorry. The lid broke off sometime recently.

OK, that changes the entire discussion. your first stop should be to get just the lid replaced, available at any RV dealer, I think there are about 3 different styles so be sure you know which one you want/need. and then cover it with a maxxaire type of cover.
bumpy

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
by vent cover are you talking about the one that cranks up and down, which is what it sounds like in your explanation, or a cover that fits over the entire fitting so you can crack open the vent in the rain?
don't know why the loss of a maxxaire type of cover would cause water to come in since you could just crank down the lid/cover.

bumpy

Sorry. The lid broke off sometime recently.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
The standard MaxxAir cover is really for unpowered vents. The external cover which allows you to open an unpowered vent when it is raining, and to shade direct sunlight from the actual open vent.

You want a better fan vent - Fan-Tastic and Create-A-Breeze are the two biggest names in the field. .

I am talking about the Maxxaire cover that has the fan in it. it was a snap to install. mount the same using the 4 L brackets as any other vent cover, and hook the wiring up to the wiring for the little whirr and buzz.
bumpy

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
if you do put a good fan in the bathroom, do not have it running with the door closed while you flush the toilet. if you do the black tank will vent up thru the bathroom.
We know that already. Don't ask us how we know. :S

We rented a 27' TT right before we bought ours. It had a very good bath vent. We learned the hard way that you don't run the fan, with the door closed, and flush the toilet. Phew! ๐Ÿ™‚

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
The standard MaxxAir cover is really for unpowered vents. The external cover which allows you to open an unpowered vent when it is raining, and to shade direct sunlight from the actual open vent.

You want a better fan vent - Fan-Tastic and Create-A-Breeze are the two biggest names in the field.

Fan-Tastic has a good reputation and a strong following. I really haven't heard anything bad about Create-A-Breeze but I don't see/ hear about as many rigs with them.

Powered vent installation is a bit more complex than adding a vent cover like the MaxxAir.

If you are replacing a powered vent - the wiring part is usually simple. The opening in the roof should be the same size and it's a matter of taking out the old vent frame, installing the new vent frame and water proofing the roof area around the frame.

MaxxAir does sell a vent cover designed for the greater air flow of a powered roof vent. It runs 2 to 3 times as much as the unpowered vent covers price wise.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
fallsrider wrote:
The MaxxAir covers are something I want to do in the spring, as well. I'm glad to read it is so easy to do. But first, I need to replace the cheapo factory bath vent/fan. The fan doesn't work at all, and it is really small compared to the new ones I see. Which is better, MaxxAir, Fan-Tastic, Create-A-Breeze, etc.? My local mobile RV repairman sells the Fan-Tastic (I believe), and he says it will suck the linoleum off the bathroom floor. I don't need quite that much exhaust capability, but some decent air removal from the bathroom would be great before I install a MaxxAir cover.

I replaced the little whirr and buzz in the bathroom with a maxaire cover/fan. just removed the blade from the little one and left the motor there. with the maxaire the fan noise is moved back and away from the opening and it can be run in the rain. I just hooked the new fan to the 12 volt supply to the little W&B.

if you do put a good fan in the bathroom, do not have it running with the door closed while you flush the toilet. if you do the black tank will vent up thru the bathroom.
bumpy

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
The MaxxAir covers are something I want to do in the spring, as well. I'm glad to read it is so easy to do. But first, I need to replace the cheapo factory bath vent/fan. The fan doesn't work at all, and it is really small compared to the new ones I see. Which is better, MaxxAir, Fan-Tastic, Create-A-Breeze, etc.? My local mobile RV repairman sells the Fan-Tastic (I believe), and he says it will suck the linoleum off the bathroom floor. I don't need quite that much exhaust capability, but some decent air removal from the bathroom would be great before I install a MaxxAir cover.

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
lots of things can happen to those vent covers - they are pretty fragile. I like the MaxxAir just because it is a lot more sturdy. I just take it off every once in a while to clean underneath but it is pretty bulletproof.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer

bumpy