cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum towing

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. It's been awhile since I've been here and I had forgotten how much fun this forum can be. Awhile back we decided to buy another travel trailer and we picked out one that weighed #5700 with a tongue weight of just under #800.

We purchased a new half ton Hemi crew cab with every available towing option including 3.92 gears, Ram rates it to tow #11,400 with a bed capacity of almost #1800.

Since we got this truck we started thinking maybe we could tow a little bigger camper and are wondering what would be a comfortable match to this particular vehicle. If you are towing with a 3.92 Hemi truck I would love to hear your story.

I am not into anything approaching it's maximum values as I don't want to hear the engine screaming up every hill, just wondering if #7000 or even #8000 trailer was a reasonable option. I will say when I'm towing my small tractor and bush hog on a #1550 tandem trailer (total weight of about #4500) you can barely tell it's back there.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Shopping for Travel Trailer
32 REPLIES 32

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The general feedback for people towing over 8000 pounds loaded with half tons is not positive. How much is your as equipped payload and receiver rating? 8000 pounds loaded means 1000-1200 pounds of tongue weight. How much stuff/people do you put in the vehicle when towing? That Tire and Loading sticker will likely be your limit well under 11,000 pounds for a TT.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you are talking about GVWR (not empty weight)...I would say around 7000-7500 is probably going to be the comfortable limit (keep gear in the truck limited).

That will put the hitch weight a bit under 1000lb. Assuming combined weight of passengers of around 500lb, that leaves you around 300lb for running boards, truck cap, etc... plus any gear in the bed.

The "tow rating" is likely not the limiting factor.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
You can tow to ratings. Personally I would not go over #8000 gross. That is just me, for no reason, other than me being a belt and suspender type guy!
That engine "screaming" up hills is doing just what it is designed to do. Hemi makes its power at I think around 3600 rpm,(screaming). If you don't want to listen to an engine running well within its design parameters, sell your truck and buy a diesel!

I have a '13 Ram and it gets my juices flowing when tugging up a hill in third gear, the thing just pullin like a freight train!