cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxxis Load D To E - Bouncy Ride

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Had maxxis load E's mounted and balanced to replace my factory D's. TT weighs about 9500 loaded but wanted peace of mind. Drove home and ride was bouncy and I could feel it in the drivers seat. Called back and they said they balanced out fine, no tire flat spots and rims were all good. They aired them up to 80 psi per my request. Told them I was going to bring back to have them re look at the balancing.

They called back and said that I should air down to 65 psi to soften ride since that is what I had before. I said if I did that I would lose the benefit of having an E tire. Is that even correct to say. They said it will be a sacrifice of a stiffer ride at 80 and more weight carrying capacity on the tire of a softer ride and not getting the full benefit of the E's capacity.

I don't know if I should believe them so I am asking you folks. Please advise what I should do. I don't mind going to 72-75 psi but at 65 I could have stuck with a D tire. Thanks
52 REPLIES 52

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Does it matter if your wheels are steel or aluminum. Mine are aluminum. Read steel wheels are lug centric and need the plate but aluminum rims can use the cone to balance like a car tire. So much different information online it is crazy.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
They said it will be a sacrifice of a stiffer ride at 80 and more weight carrying capacity on the tire of a softer ride and not getting the full benefit of the E's capacity.

Correct

My question then is what benefit is an E over a D if you do this? Don't you effectively give up all the extra load carrying capacity and in essence just have a Load D or is the E still a better and stronger tire at 65 than a D at 65. tks

The E tire at 65 psi is not any stronger than the D tire at 65 psi. Its been my experience when pulling trailers for a living the E tire at only 65 psi will create more carcass heat than the D tire at 65 psi.

This from Tireman9 our resident tire engineer has said on the subject of derating a tires pressure on a trailer;
Tireman9
rvtiresafety.com

The question of load capacity and Load Range gets asked a lot, so it seems to be a bit of a stumbling block for a number of RV owners. Here is an example:
"I need to replace the ST235/75R15 tires on my trailer. Currently have load range C tires which is sufficient for the maximum trailer weight when inflated to 50psi but allows almost no safety margin. I want to change to either load range D or E tires. My rims are only rated for 65 psi so if I went to the load range E tires I would only be able to inflate them to 65 psi. My question is this. Is there any advantage to a load range E tire used at 65 psi vs a load range D tire at 65 psi?"

Now just because he is asking about a 15" trailer application and considering a change from LR-C to LR-D it does not mean the general answer does not apply to others, even if they are considering a change from LR-G to LR-H on a Goodyear 295/75R 22.5 Class-A tire.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The answer to the question is;
He will gain a safety margin if he increases his inflation to 65psi with LR-D but if he stays at 65 psi there is nothing further gained by going to LR-E as there is no difference in the capacity at 65 psi.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Huntingdog, if they say they did not use a lug plate and say they won't rebalance using a lug plate am I better off just removing the wheel weights they put on and going unbalanced like the factory wheels come anways? tks

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
nevadanick wrote:
On my tt i ran 65lbs in my Maxxis E rated and it rode fine.
My question then is what benefit is an E over a D if you do this? Don't you effectively give up all the extra load carrying capacity and in essence just have a Load D or is the E still a better and stronger tire at 65 than a D at 65. tks
Both.
The extra capacity can come in handy. I recently spun a bearing, and lost a wheel. The 3 tires remaining got us home without a hitch. They were @ 80.

You had them balanced. Did you make them use a lug plate? They hate doing it. I watch them to make sure they do it. More than once I caught them using the pilot hole instead of the lug plate as I requested.

The reason this is important is that most TT rims are lug centric. Not pilot centric. This means that the lugnuts do the centering, not the pilot hole which is not perfectly centered.
If they use the pilot hole, then it may well make the balance worse.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since my current tires already exceeds my axle capacity, why should I buy tires that have even more more capacity then the axles that support them?

Yet people do this all the time.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
At 65psi the "E"s can carry the same load as the "D"s.
What benefit do you think the "E"s at 80psi will give you?
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.