cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MD trucks

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
Where is a good place to look for used mdt ? Is there a good place to find information such as blue book values and just general information? I am looking for a bigger truck to pull my toyhauler than the dually. I think it will give me a greater margin of safety and just and a better towing experience.
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990
39 REPLIES 39

blt2ski
The insurance for my mdt has been less than $2000 a year since I bought it in 93. Closer to 1200-1500 a year. On par with pickups with similar insurance ratings.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of things to consider:
Insurance. A fellow dog trialer bought one brand new. Had it less than a year. They wanted over 10K a year for commercial insurance.

This probably varies by state, but look before you leap, to see if it is an issue for you.

Lack of 4x4. I have never seen one with it. That is a deal breaker for me. YMMV
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
I like MDTs. They aren't any more powerful. In fact, they are typically less powerful.
If one's main goal is power, one should stick with a pickup or a converted class 8.

I get passed by pickups on hills, but hilly driving is such a tiny percentage of my travels, I don't care.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
RacingJunk.com is a good spot to find nice MDT trucks.

I like MDTs. They aren't any more powerful. In fact, they are typically less powerful. Sometimes by quite a bit. But they have the gearing for much higher GCWRs (when ordered for it), ride better if you get true rear air-ride, and turn much sharper. Plus most MDTs have much better visibility from the cabs, since the seating position is a little higher, and the hoods are much more sloped.

And you can feel like a "Billy Big Rigger"
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
RacingJunk.com is a good spot to find nice MDT trucks.

I like MDTs. They aren't any more powerful. In fact, they are typically less powerful. Sometimes by quite a bit. But they have the gearing for much higher GCWRs (when ordered for it), ride better if you get true rear air-ride, and turn much sharper. Plus most MDTs have much better visibility from the cabs, since the seating position is a little higher, and the hoods are much more sloped.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Groover wrote:
The last time that I looked at medium duty trucks they had the same basic drive trains as 1-ton pickups of the same brand with de-tuned engines..
I imagine you're referring to an F-350 vs a 450 and above. I don't think that's what OP is asking about.

I assumed he meant Freightliner - brands like that - whose frames, drive trains, transmissions..etc are massive compared to any pickup.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
commercial truck trader.com

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
The last time that I looked at medium duty trucks they had the same basic drive trains as 1-ton pickups of the same brand with de-tuned engines. because of the de-tune and additional curb weight they actually did not pull as well as a 1-ton. They do have more weight carrying capacity and better brakes but you should be using your trailer brakes to stop it anyway.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Brandon327 wrote:
20000 pounds

To be honest that's nothing for your GM. Have you changed the shocks to Bilstein and added air bags? Are you running 60-65 in rears and 75-80 psi in front?

I have to say I agree.

x3. I'm only towing 4k lbs less with my truck and I wouldn't hesitate to tow 20k lbs plus with it.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

RADROG
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
You can never have 'too much truck.' Or solar. Or batteries.

...or money. or pretty women. :B
2005 American Tradition 370 Cummins ISL

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can never have 'too much truck.' Or solar. Or batteries.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
fly-boy wrote:
The MD trucks don't offer a whole lot more than your current truck- they will brake better but power is underwhelming in my opinion.

If you are seriously considering this route I would look for a class 8 with the rear axle removed and licensed an RV.

A class 8 will offer the performance, safety, and comfort you are looking for!

Massive over kill for his application IMHO. A class 4 or 5 would provide a serious upgrade and be plenty of truck. If I wanted to go the heavy duty route I would look for a single axle town tractor with air suspension, moving companies use them.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Brandon327 wrote:
20000 pounds

To be honest that's nothing for your GM. Have you changed the shocks to Bilstein and added air bags? Are you running 60-65 in rears and 75-80 psi in front?

I have to say I agree.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
fly-boy wrote:
A class 8 will offer the performance, safety, and comfort you are looking for!
As long as you can find one with a fully automatic transmission and isn't a cheapo job that looks like hell.