cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mice?

shasta24
Explorer
Explorer
I have to leave my brand new camper outside this winter. It at least has a roof over it but, that's all the protection it gets this year. My question regards mice. What if anything can a person do to keep the critters out?
12 REPLIES 12

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Remove all food and vacuum out all the crumbs. Leave them nothing to eat. This includes sealed plastic containers with food in them. Set a trap just inside the door. Walk by once a week and open the door to check the trap.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
A buddy of mine swears by the 5 gal bucket trick, if any get in they won't get out. He puts one of these in his 5th wheel every winter with a few inches of antifreeze / water in the bottom. Not for the squeamish but if they get past your repellents at least they meet their end before they can get destructive.
5 Gal Trap
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I use Irish Spring soap and Bounce original scent dryer sheets inside the camper - if nothing else, camper smells great in spring and the dryer sheets seem to help absorb moisture.

I spread mothballs OUTSIDE the camper around the wheels and tongue jack. Also around stabilizer jacks if they are down.

Doing this has seemed to work for me.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Two trailers now, and I live in the country (lots of mice). I seal every hole with expanding foam ("Great Stuff") from both inside and out - have to remove the bottom cover if yours has an enclosed underbelly. Look under the tub, inside cabinets labeled as not for storage, behind false panels, everywhere. Seal openings where plumbing, electrical and gas fittings go through and around the edge of the wheel-well liners.

No need for anything else.

Repellents: These make an area less attractive through odor or noise. It's a relative thing though - if it's still the nicest area a mouse can find, they'll put up with it and move in. YMMV.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

sweetnoni
Explorer
Explorer
Fill small cans or containers with TidyCat kitty litter and put in every bottom cupboard, along with Bounce dryer sheets, original scent is what I was told.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the best mouse repellants out there is a cheap flea collar. Throw one in your storage areas, a couple inside the trailer, etc. Worked great for me.

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
Lock the neighbors cat inside .......no mice

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can do many things with varying results. Some of the more common are.
+ Seal all entry holes. Very difficulty since mice can fit though a half inch hole.
+ Set traps and sticky paper. Good but hard to put in very nook and cranny. Plus you have dead mice decomposing in your TT.
+ Set food or poison on ground outside the TT. Bad for other critters.
+ Remove ALL food. Kind of a no brainer.
+ Dryer sheets, audio devices, commercial chemical repellents and many home brew concoction are recommend. They seem to work to varying degrees.
+ Other suggestions include eliminating all cords, ropes, straps an such on the ground. Cats in the area. Flashing lights ad infinitum.

Personally I had one winter with no mice. One winter where they held their State mouse convention in my sink.

Good luck and I am sure you will get lots of suggestions
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

lovetotow
Explorer
Explorer
Bounce dryer sheets, mint and good luck... I go wild with the bounce sheets and then about ten pre baited traps, then try to check it once a week as much as possible
Dale & Lynda
2018 ford F250 4x4
2011 cruiser 32bl 5th wheel

shasta24
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your input. I seen tonight first hand what mice can do to a trailer. My brother in laws camper was a mess. He put bait out under the camper in order to poison and kill. They still got in and did you know what everywhere.

iv_nurse
Explorer
Explorer
We use peppermint oil on sachets. Refresh as needed

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Fill every hole you can find with expandable foam or a copper wire scrub.

We have had good luck using Bounty dryer sheet, seems only the original scent works. We stored in a barn in the middle of corn fields for many years and never had an issue when we scattered the bounty sheets around.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure