cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michelin Sidewalls Cracking - Updated

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
I was just checking the pressure in my Michelin LTX LT265/70R17E tires and noticed all four are starting to crack. The cracking covers a band about one inch wide starting about one inch from the rims around the entire tire.

The date code is 0712 making the mfg date February 2012. I purchased the truck new in April 2103.

Going back to the dealer tomorrow. Anyone have a similar experience?
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
23 REPLIES 23

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
rtmcavoy wrote:
I bought mine at Costco and have the same cracking issue. I was worried about it so I went back to cost and the manager told me it was from applying a tire dressing. I am pretty upset about it because I have a lot of tread left. The tires are rated for 70,000 miles.

Like others said scrub the sidewalls clean. My Michelins had cracking on both sidewalls, inside and outside. I never use tire dressing, so I believe the cracking was stress related.

Tires are expensive. I wouldn't give up so easily. Keep trying different Costcos if possible.
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rtmcavoy wrote:
I bought mine at Costco and have the same cracking issue. I was worried about it so I went back to cost and the manager told me it was from applying a tire dressing. I am pretty upset about it because I have a lot of tread left. The tires are rated for 70,000 miles.

Scrub your tires clean of anything. Go to another Costco. Bottom line is if you are not satisfied with a product at Costco they will give your money back! Excluding some electronics.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MVH1
Explorer
Explorer

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
wow -I just posted with the same issue a few down the page already. crazy.
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Great news. Guess your good for another 15 months :W
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
gcloss wrote:
I was just checking the pressure in my Michelin LTX LT265/70R17E tires and noticed all four are starting to crack. The cracking covers a band about one inch wide starting about one inch from the rims around the entire tire.

The date code is 0712 making the mfg date February 2012. I purchased the truck new in April 2103.

Going back to the dealer tomorrow. Anyone have a similar experience?
Here is an update to getting some resolution to my cracking sidewalls:

Dealer made an appointment, I took my truck to the dealer. The dealer looked over all of the tires and agreed they were cracking, but they couldn't do anything. So that was a waste of time.

I then took my truck to STS Tire & Auto in Gardiner NY. The Asst. Manager looked at my tires, measured them and then called Michelin Warranty Claims. Michelin offered to prorate the tires at 70%. The Asst. Manager proceeded to tell the Michelin person they were out of their minds that the tires were perfect with minimal wear. She was able to get Michelin to agree to 85% for each of the four tires and 100% for the spare. My total out of pocket for 5 brand new Michelin LTX M/S2 will be around $250.

In the end, I think this is a pretty fair resolution getting 5 brand new tire worth about $1100 for $250.
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
I contacted the dealer I purchased my truck from today. They are willing to look at my tires. I have also been scouring the internet and found a lot of the same problems with Michelin LT tires. Even the NHTSA website has many complaints about new Michelin tires with cracking sidewalls.

I wash my own truck with just car soap and water. Never bought any tire dressing and I dislike ArmourAll for the inside.

Next step is to see what the dealer can do for me.
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Be prepared for Michelin dealer to do nothing, tell you it's 'surface crazing' and not a concern, suggest it was caused because you used a tire dressing containing petroleum distillates, or you failed to clean and maintain them, whatever that entails. I heard all of these 'reasons' from the local dealer when I questioned the cracking, especially near the rim/bead 'interface'. And, they did nothing.

Why the current set of Michelins on my Ram 3500 will be my last, not to mention they are nearly $300 each in the required size now.

Wondering if Michelin is giving their dealers a hard time about any of the brands they produce? On three occasions in the last 4 years I have had Michelin/Goodrich dealers tell me to contact Michelin with warranty issues. Michelin has refused to honor any warranty even though the dealers said they were manufacturing defects. Exception being the BFG recall last year. The local dealer didn't want to do anything. When I contacted Michelin and complained they referred me to the local FIRESTONE dealer who didn't handle their tires.:S
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
maxwell11 wrote:
thomasmnile,

did you use tire cleaners on your new set of Michelins?

No, plain old soap/water, and NEVER any tire dressing of any flavor, Armor All, Eagle 1, Meguiar's, whatever.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I replaced my Michelins. Well before they hit the wear bars. My tire guy told me it was good I did as they were cracked. He then told me. That just about all the Michelins they sell do it. So no more for me.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
I used nothing but Michelin tires for about 25 years. The last three sets on my RV cracked within 4-5 years, and the set on my Acura failed (cord separation) at about 35K miles. I had believed they were the best tires made, but I won't buy them anymore. Have had much better luck with Bridgestone, and even Firestone in the last 15 years.
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

jody_h
Explorer
Explorer
They cracked on our work truck within a year even the spare. The tires has never had any tire dressing on them. They also cracked on my truck so when it was time for tires i went with TOYO open county HTs. Been two years and no problems.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab
2004 Flagstaff 8524RK

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
My friend bought the new Michelin tire LTX . 17000 miles and they were cracked. Costco gave him $70.00 per tire and he bought the same tire for his dually. No problems yet and I bought the same tire for our chev and no cracking and almost tire wear. Why does this happen?
I do feel the tire pressure was low for his truck and it had the nitrogen.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110