cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mini Maxx - 2012 Ram 2500

nano
Explorer
Explorer
We did a delete on our 2012 Ram 2500 this spring, and have the H&S Mini Maxx tuner. We are having an issue with the screen staying black when we start the truck. It's not all the time, though. Maybe 1 time in 10-15 starts. We've had the connections checked, and had a new Mini Maxx installed but it still does it. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has found a fix. I'm wondering if it's a software glitch? I searched online but only found people complaining about a permanent black screen.
2013 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
13 REPLIES 13

nano
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our truck back to the shop 3 times now trying to fix the black screen issue. We're sick of the H&S and will be getting a different tuner. Looks like EFI Live is our best option. I see SCT has one, but it's quite a bit cheaper, which makes me wonder why. SCT also mentioned BullyDog, but that looks exactly like the Mini Maxx, so forget that. I also called a different diesel performance shop and they recommended EFI Live.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
GBuilders wrote:
I had the minimax on my 07.5 Cummins and loved it. I also had the trans tuner they offered and never had a problem with it. Not sure how it works with these new trucks though. H&S went under several years back I thought? I have to say they really helped me one time with my old truck. Dealer said my computer was out and wanted $3500 to replace it. I called H&S and they sent me one of theirโ€™s overnight at their cost for $800 and had in installed and dealer programmed for $250. $1050 is what it cost compared to $3500 for a refurbished computer. I liked their service.

H&S is still around selling performance hard parts. They lost their Cummins tuning "Guru", Ryan Miliken, several years ago right after being hit with a fine from the EPA. Ryan now owns Hardway performance and tunes with EFI Live via his "EFIbyRyan" autocals. However, he stopped tuning on highway trucks earlier this year and only concentrates on race vehicles. Luckily I was able to get his tunes before this happened because they are legit.

Off topic, but I would check out Ryan's '66 Nova drag car with a Cummins engine. It is sweet! LINK--> X275 The Hard Way: Ryan Millikenโ€™s Nasty Diesel Nova
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

GBuilders
Explorer
Explorer
I had the minimax on my 07.5 Cummins and loved it. I also had the trans tuner they offered and never had a problem with it. Not sure how it works with these new trucks though. H&S went under several years back I thought? I have to say they really helped me one time with my old truck. Dealer said my computer was out and wanted $3500 to replace it. I called H&S and they sent me one of theirโ€™s overnight at their cost for $800 and had in installed and dealer programmed for $250. $1050 is what it cost compared to $3500 for a refurbished computer. I liked their service.
2005 Jayco Eagle 305 BHS 5th wheel

New truck: 2019 Ford F-250 power stroke platinum 4x4

Former truck: 2014 Ram Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4 6.7/Aisin 6 speed 3:73

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Off topic, but I am not a big fan of H&S Mini Maxx. Left many any of friends, family, and customers with blown head gaskets if the boost and injection timing is too aggressive and you don't have head studs installed. The other minus is that it doesn't tune the trans to handle the added power reliably like EFI Live, EZLynk, or MM3 does.

Can't tune the aisin so what do you suggest for my 16 Cummins? I'm talking to Calibrated Power through emails now about it. I've run my 2005 on extreme 100 % of the time towing heavy or not close to 10 years now and the engine has never had a hiccup and the stock factory trans is still pulling great but I've heard the aisin dont like added power.

The combination of a VG turbo that creates high drive pressure and the longer stroke of the 6.7L makes it a lot easier to blow a head gasket with aggressive timing and boost. Heck even in stock form this happened until Cummins reprogrammed the engine to not create so much low rpm cylinder pressure. The new ECM's of the 2013 and up trucks also helped because their hardware capabilities allowed for more fuel tables and other parameters.

I would say that talking with Calibrated is a good call. Nick knows way more than I do. If you are looking to delete then you might want to give Anarchy Diesel or Higher Power Performance. Either one will help you find what you are looking for. You may still be able to add power to your Aisin and just adjust how you drive with the added power. Some people say it bucks a lot with added power, and others say it is fine.

Nope, getting old and like the quietness of my truck. I'm wanting to tune with exhaust fully intact.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Off topic, but I am not a big fan of H&S Mini Maxx. Left many any of friends, family, and customers with blown head gaskets if the boost and injection timing is too aggressive and you don't have head studs installed. The other minus is that it doesn't tune the trans to handle the added power reliably like EFI Live, EZLynk, or MM3 does.

Can't tune the aisin so what do you suggest for my 16 Cummins? I'm talking to Calibrated Power through emails now about it. I've run my 2005 on extreme 100 % of the time towing heavy or not close to 10 years now and the engine has never had a hiccup and the stock factory trans is still pulling great but I've heard the aisin dont like added power.

The combination of a VG turbo that creates high drive pressure and the longer stroke of the 6.7L makes it a lot easier to blow a head gasket with aggressive timing and boost. Heck even in stock form this happened until Cummins reprogrammed the engine to not create so much low rpm cylinder pressure. The new ECM's of the 2013 and up trucks also helped because their hardware capabilities allowed for more fuel tables and other parameters.

I would say that talking with Calibrated is a good call. Nick knows way more than I do. If you are looking to delete then you might want to give Anarchy Diesel or Higher Power Performance. Either one will help you find what you are looking for. You may still be able to add power to your Aisin and just adjust how you drive with the added power. Some people say it bucks a lot with added power, and others say it is fine.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
H&S has made my cousin a lot of money out warranty engine and transmission repairs. Crazy thing is the dealer doesn't install head studs and some customers will still run this stuff because their truck is deleted
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

nano
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I really enjoy Performance Mode, but maybe I should take a break from that. Lol.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, especially with tuners like the H&S or Smarty. If you are running aggressive timing with high boost and you don't have head studs, then a head gasket replacement will be in your future. The software on these tuners do not have as many capabilities to smoothen out injection timing like the modern tuners do.

You can read why here....

EFI LIVE TUNING: THE DIESEL INDUSTRYโ€™S MOST POWERFUL TUNING TOOL
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

nano
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comment. If we keep having issues we talked about switching to something different but don't know what's better. Have you heard of blown head gaskets on the 6.7 cummins?

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

nano
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. I'll have to pay attention to the temperature. I'm pretty sure it's done it when it's cooler, but we'll see. I have it back at the shop again for them to try and figure it out.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
My Bully Dog GT does the same thing from time to time. It seems to be heat related. Mine is mounted on the dash in the sun so when the truck is outside is when it does it. If possible try unplugging it and putting it away when it's hot and sunny.