cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

mounting a propane tank to bumper

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
we bought a 2019 northern lite it has the two little propane bottles like you see on b b q grills. I am looking for a way to mount either two of the same size tanks to the large bumper or even better say a 20 or 30 pound and never have to use the small ones that are so hard to get in and out. Thank those of you for helping with this according to cummins the generator will run for 3.5 hours on one tank that came with the camper. I have seen one northern lite with a tank on the bumper and the hose ran through to the mount inside the compartment. hope it can be done
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low
155 REPLIES 155

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
There is a difference between "recommendations" or "standards" and what is actually "law". This seems to be the conjecture of this thread.

The NFPA standards are not "law". They are simply methods or ways of ensuring safety. The NFPA is a self funded organization that
publishes standard methods. They have now enforcement authority.

However when federal, state or local governments develop "codes" or "regulations" they will often include and refer to NFPA standards. This makes the standards enforceable by the government entity. They become "law".

For example, federal and state Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) agencies have incorporated wording from NFPA standards into regulations. In these cases, complying with the standards are mandatory.

Many municipal building codes include NFPA standards and NEC standards, (which are a part of NFPA). Again these are enforceable.

Back to the subject of this thread concerning mounting and locking propane cylinders. I initially replied that locking cylinder compartments is "not recommended" I did not say it was unlawful. But many interpreted it that way. Other posters correctly pointed to the NFPA standards to which I was referring.

Also IMO, doing something that is unsafe for "40 years and getting away with it", is not good advice. Especially when it is contrary to published safety standard.

Label me the "Safety Police" if you wish. But that's just me.

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Photomike wrote:
From what I have read on it they are legal because of the height. ..

Not according to the law copied on page 12 in this topic.

We are on page 7 so I will wait till page 12 to read it :B

I think you are referring to the NFPA rules a few pages back. Honestly there are a lot of "suggestions" but I don't see anyone enforcing. I would be more concerned about someone with a loose tank in the back of their truck then mounted that high. I also would rather have tanks mounted up that high then on the tongue of a trailer or in a back compartment on a TCer that is lower.

Honestly I don't really care as like weight, gas vs diesel, etc the facts here are being so twisted that this thread is 150% useless :?
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
GDS-3950BH wrote:

I don't believe anyone claimed it was a "law" did they? ----

They did... which is why stuff like this cracks me up so.

kinda like the 'ol argument that comes up so very often about the severe consequences of getting in a accident in an 'overweight' TC...and getting busted by the??? do you think we'd have heard about that at least once in the news at this junction in our internet lives if it was true...?
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Link:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.n...

Bedlam wrote:
NFPA is a nonprofit organization which gives recommendations on fire and electrical safety but has no authority behind it for enforcement.

Sure strange how the discussion turns around.
What the difference a day makes.

I don't believe anyone claimed it was a "law" did they? One thing is certain, if your RV has an RVIA compliance decal and the bottles in a compartment, it will not have a locking access door unless you install a lock yourself. In that case you're then subject to possibly getting pulled over by the Propane Police or the ATF, maybe the CIA, NSA, or the NRA even. They have not caught up with me yet. I put a lock on it because I have room to slide a couple of extra backup boxes of beer into that compartment. They could of had the gas, not the beer LOL.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Link:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.n...

Bedlam wrote:
NFPA is a nonprofit organization which gives recommendations on fire and electrical safety but has no authority behind it for enforcement.

Sure strange how the discussion turns around.
What the difference a day makes.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Reality Check wrote:
Got no dog in this fight... silly discussion and fun to follow.

But to point out a rather large point; I'm fairly certain that NFPA ain't 'law'. It can be enacted/accepted by jurisdictions, but just because they wrote it doesn't make it law.

That makes total sense being all the propane locks available including from TorkLift and the lack of WARNING for mounting or locking extra bottles on the rear,also with a bunch of rear brackets available..

Interesting how this thread took such a strange turn..Laughing
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
jaycocreek wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Photomike wrote:

I sure don't get some of the TC laws especially this one for propane..One would think if it was illegal there would be warning signs on every propane access door on all RV's..DO NOT LOCK..or on the bottle somewhere..DO NOT MOUNT ON REAR OF VEHICLE..But there are none..

Not saying it isn't true,just saying it seems weird with all the warning signs all over an RV for different things..

I had no idea and I have been truck camping for over 50 years...

Got no dog in this fight... silly discussion and fun to follow.

But to point out a rather large point; I'm fairly certain that NFPA ain't 'law'. It can be enacted/accepted by jurisdictions, but just because they wrote it doesn't make it law.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Photomike wrote:

I sure don't get some of the TC laws especially this one for propane..One would think if it was illegal there would be warning signs on every propane access door on all RV's..DO NOT LOCK..or on the bottle somewhere..DO NOT MOUNT ON REAR OF VEHICLE..But there are none..

Not saying it isn't true,just saying it seems weird with all the warning signs all over an RV for different things..

I had no idea and I have been truck camping for over 50 years...
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Photomike wrote:

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:

Click For Full-Size Image.

Today's photo.
Looks like the guy is 3000 miles from home.
I did not dare to climb and see if he has newer cylinders with PR valves, or older stuff.

Many conversion vans do this. The tanks are out of the impact zone of the bumper. From what I have read on it they are legal because of the height. I was going to do that on my van but really did not like the look so went with a vehicle gas heater instead and carry 1lb propane tanks inside for the stove.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

Click For Full-Size Image.

Today's photo.
Looks like the guy is 3000 miles from home.
I did not dare to climb and see if he has newer cylinders with PR valves, or older stuff.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocreek wrote:
OPD with relief valves have been required since 1998 mfg date
Any cylinder older then 12 yrs has to have recertifcation inspection done which requires it have an OPD

ALL pressurized vessels have Safety relief valves.....even that RV water heater which operates at much lower pressure than a propane tank/cylinder.

The exception is horizontal propane cylinder manufactured prior to October 1998..They are grandfathered in although not all people dispensing propane are aware of this.

Yes...correct OPD grandfathered
But even horizontal cylinders have RELIEF VALVES
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Oops
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
OPD with relief valves have been required since 1998 mfg date
Any cylinder older then 12 yrs has to have recertifcation inspection done which requires it have an OPD

ALL pressurized vessels have Safety relief valves.....even that RV water heater which operates at much lower pressure than a propane tank/cylinder.

The exception is horizontal propane cylinder manufactured prior to October 1998..They are grandfathered in although not all people dispensing propane are aware of this.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04