cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mud Daubers/Hornets/Wasps

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone explain why the mud daubers (hornets/wasps?) Like to build their hive/nests in my TT? I have 1 in the furnace intake, 1 in the furnace exhaust, 1 under the rolled up awning, and 2 in the air vent over the master bedroom. Any suggesrtions on how to get rid of them without being stung? More importantly, how do I prevent them in the future?
23 REPLIES 23

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
Well, rats! I am at a campbround with the boys and we found 2 more nests. Guess it is back on the roof when we get home. I wonder if it would do any good to put up a "Hornets: No trespassing" sign?

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

For the ones up top, buy the hornet/wasp spray that shoots 20 feet.

But be sure the spray doesn't contain petroleum distillates. Used one of those long range sprays on nest built under a slide topper on the fifth wheel we owned. A little bit of it hit the roof membrane (EPDM) on the slide and immediately 'bubbled' the membrane. :E

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
kodiakcanuck wrote:

Watch out for this instant killing type spray around propane, it is quite flammable, I think it actually contains gasoline!

Wasp Freeze does NOT contain gasoline. It contains minute amounts of petroleum distillates. (less than 1/100th of 1 percent) It also contains pine oil and that is rather flammable.

The "freeze" part of the name is because the pine oil evaporating off the wasps body, lowers it's body temperature so fast, it does "freeze" and die.

That is good as it does not get a chance to release the "Sting anything nearby" pheromone to it's sisters in the nest.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

daveor
Explorer
Explorer
we were told when we bought one of our trailers in the past.. buy a large flea collar for a dog,, cut it half,, put half in the water haater area and the other half behind the fridge outside.. have never had any probs with yellow jackets or hornets. we have screen on the heater

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
JoeTampa wrote:
You can buy commercial wasp/hornet killer at Lowes and HD that sprays around 10' or more and kills them instantly. I've used it for years at home and there is no chance that anything hit with that spray will do anything but die immediately.

Watch out for this instant killing type spray around propane, it is quite flammable, I think it actually contains gasoline!

I used it around the fridge vent to get rid of a hornets nest once on an older TT. I thoughts I cleaned up the spray enough, but some remained in the drain cupholder for the fridge. Later that day I started the fridge on propane, and WHOMP, it was on fire :E Luckily I was with the trailer at the time when I noticed the black smoke coming from the fridge vent on the rough. Thankfully the only damage was from me emptying the fire extinguisher on the fridge and wrecking the ignitor...:S
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Boband4 wrote:
Thanks to all for the inputs - it was about what I thought. Since I always park the TT in the same place; they are going to come back and nest in the same places. For me, the "scary part" is that they next under the roof vents. That means getting on the roof taking ofc the vent cover to clear them out and trying to safely get down off the roof before any angry escapees come after me.

Fairly stationary object, so if you park it they will come! :B

I have found nests inside the rear bumper (the caps have holes) on the back side of the tires (exciting when you remove the tire covers), and the occasional scorpion hanging out in the wheel chocks.

The gas appliance vent screens are the definitive fix for critters in the vents. Except when we're using the trailer, I always keep the cover on the AC and have never had an insect issue with it. Now, if someone finds a cure for the 'propane spiders'.............:W

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
This works for me - get a flea collar for a dog and cut it into pieces. Put the pieces in those places where you don't want insects.

For the ones up top, buy the hornet/wasp spray that shoots 20 feet.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the inputs - it was about what I thought. Since I always park the TT in the same place; they are going to come back and nest in the same places. For me, the "scary part" is that they next under the roof vents. That means getting on the roof taking ofc the vent cover to clear them out and trying to safely get down off the roof before any angry escapees come after me.

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy commercial wasp/hornet killer at Lowes and HD that sprays around 10' or more and kills them instantly. I've used it for years at home and there is no chance that anything hit with that spray will do anything but die immediately.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman Charlie wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Insects are "hard wired," They have only instinct to get through the life cycle. There s no decision making process involved in nest location. Knock down a nest and it is very likely that they will return and restart a new one in the exact same spot. That is because they only have millions of years of instinct implanted in their tiny brains, and they will build where this instinct tells them to.

So that is the reason why. Don't believe it? Then disregard my 35 years in the insect business and Google it.

I will leave control of same to others.

I believe you. I'm just not sure that human beings are that much better. lol

LOL. I agree. Sometimes the insects ARE better. ๐Ÿ™‚
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Insects are "hard wired," They have only instinct to get through the life cycle. There s no decision making process involved in nest location. Knock down a nest and it is very likely that they will return and restart a new one in the exact same spot. That is because they only have millions of years of instinct implanted in their tiny brains, and they will build where this instinct tells them to.

So that is the reason why. Don't believe it? Then disregard my 35 years in the insect business and Google it.

I will leave control of same to others.

I believe you. I'm just not sure that human beings are that much better. lol
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I once removes a furnace that didn't work from a TT that I owned. Dumped a whole coffee can full of mud dauber nests out of it. There is more in there then you think.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have lived in the county for most of my life. Insects, rodents and snakes live here also.

I do what I do for a living, they do what they do for a living; which includes taking advantage of my unintended hospitality by finding nice secure nesting places in my equipment.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
RnTBnB wrote:
I had a mud dauber nest in the squirrel cage of one of my AC units last year and it locked it up. This year I added metal window screening to the inside of the AC cover vents to try to keep them from getting in.

Ahhhh ... good tip - thanks. Never thought of that. That is my next modification, I guess. The only problem is I will have to install it during my June camping trip. Hopefully it is not too hot one early morning before the AC is needed.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_