cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Aliner Experience

hessp
Explorer
Explorer
I have been lurking here since January researching Aliners and other Aframe campers. I know that others lurk here attempting to learn about these unique campers and would like to share our recent experience.

My husband and I purchased a 2013.5 Aliner Expedition Titanium Edition Front Dinette Rear Sofa with toilet and shower in February. We took it on a road trip to Florida spending 5 nights (2 nights going and 3 nights coming back). We never went off road and never intended to - we always planned to camp with water/electricity/sewer (for the grey water). We are retired and travel with our two small terriers.

Upon returning home we both decided that the Aliner was not for us. Problems: lack of storage, lack of a real bathroom, plumbing issues - in particular drainage and water pressure/sink, poor use of space (dinette too large, bathroom takes up too much of the available floor space), lack of good fit and finish, difficulty in setting up the bed and taking it back down, etc. Pluses: easy to tow, easy to hitch, and the cute factor.

While I believe the Aliner is a great idea in theory, it did not work out for us from a liveability/practicality stand point. On other RV forums the advice to buyers is always to buy the floorplan that most closely meets your needs. The Aliner seems to appeal to people that want to change the Aliner to meet their needs, i.e., people that want a project. This is not what my husband I wanted - we just weren't aware of this until we actually tried to use it. We have no tolerance for visual clutter and for trying to adapt ourselves to a camper. We
realized that we want the camper to suit us - not the other way around. We found out the hard way that we were unwilling to spend the kind of money we paid for the Expedition only to immediately have to tear it apart to make it suit us.

We traded in the Aliner yesterday on an Idea I15Q travel trailer with the Genius Package upgrade. We absorbed a significant financial loss but ended up with a 13,500 BTU roof mounted air conditioner, wardrobe closet, a real bathroom with a door, cherry cabinets, electric awning, wall mounted 19 inch television with a digital antenna, 30 gallon fresh, grey, and black water tanks, and the list goes on and on. All of this for less than the Aliner cost and the actual weight was
pretty close to the Expedition.

I still love the idea of the Aliner and am not trying to bash it at all - it just wasn't for us. In all of my research I didn't come across an analysis written by someone who actually experienced living in an Aliner. Most of what I read was either an overly critical commentary complaining about leaks, axles, etc. or a cheerleading one that made it sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread. Again, I'm not trying to be overly critical so no flames please! This is just my experience which I hope will be of some benefit to others down
the line. If you think that you want this type of camper you really need to do some soul-searching regarding what your expectations are and where your interests lie.

Hopefully our Tiny House will find a good home with someone who will love it and appreciate it for what it is and for what it offers. We clearly were not its forever home!
23 REPLIES 23

slowp
Explorer
Explorer
I spent a week in my Chalet Alpine. I'll be doing that again. I didn't get it to live in, I got it to travel with and camp in. My camping experience has been from backpacking tent, to a bit larger tent, to a teardrop, and now the Alpine. It all depends on what you expect and want to do.

I don't need a TV--I keep and take books along. I've got a very small radio, and don't cook any fancy meals--I'm camping. WA and Oregon have very nice state parks in nice locations, and I have dry camped with it in a cattle pasture. There was a porta potty there.

Now I do think I have more storage space because my model was designed with bunk beds. There is a large space below a twin bed, which I use, and the space has room for plastic containers AND my Lab.
His bed takes up half that space.

I guess I think of it as a more luxurious tent with a sink, fridge, and heater.

I've just purchased a hammock to camp in on backpacking trips. That'll really make the pointy trailer seem very luxurious.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I know some friends with a A-Liner. Not something I would want to buy.

Yes when I did buy a motorhome, the salesman admitted that they can not design the "Perfect RV" for everyone, and one that is ideal for one will not be ideal for someone in a different situation.

My friends do "some" dry camping, but would rather be in a campground that has showers and toilets, they actually camp close to them. I would rather not be in a campground, and especially not near the restrooms.

I spend more time dry camping, so the 100 gallon fresh water tank, 2,700 pound cargo rating, and space to store extra chairs, large bathroom, extra battery, and large space on the roof for the 400 watt solar system are the highlights of my RV. The dis-advantage is it only gets about 7.5 MPG, and is a dedicated motorhome, not a lower cost trailer that is towed by a daily driver. And if I wanted to go to dinner, I either have to bring along another car, or put everything away, and drive the 30' long motorhome out sightseeing, to the supermarket, or whatever.

It is so much easier to take a car than the RV. I have a Manx dune buggy, and a Ford Edge. Either is towed by the motorhome, and I could take one to certain locations, the other to the rest. Both are street legal, the buggy is only 1,500 pounds and gets way better mileage.

I can recall a co-worker who bought a Chevy truck and travel trailer. Traded them in on a 27' long class C. Decided that a travel trailer was acually better anyway, and traded back to another this time used GMC dually and another trailer. Did not like it either, and went back to the class C, kept it over 5 years.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

ElBesoBlanco
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to read about your Aliner not working out for you. I felt the same shortly after I boufht my lite weight Jayco travel trailer. I bought it new, paid for it in full and kept it for 6 years before finally admitting to myself that I bought the wrong trailer for my needs. I commend you for not waiting as long as I did to realize it wasnt going to work for you. I didnt buy my A Frame to make changes - it works for me & anything I do to it is to personalize to my particular needs. Its definitely not designed for long term living nor are they designed for large families....singles or couples are ideal and weekend camping or use as a personal motel room roadtrips (save hotel/restraunt fees). People dont buy A frames for their storage compartments - if so theyd definitely be trading them in for something with "more".
Glad to read you found something that fits your needs better. Too bad a person couldnt rent the model they want to buy before a purchase is made....happy camping!!
Greetings from eastern Washington!
2012 Flagstaff T12SDTH (Hardsided Toyhauler Pop Up)

retired4fun2002
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing your ideas, recommendations, etc., it could help someone make a solid decision. I have friends with an ALiner, they have talked about the lack of storage, but I believe they try and carry way too much gear. Enjoy your new home, safe travels.

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
I have had an Aliner for the past 10 years. For me it is a "travel trailer" for two not a "family camping trailer". By that I mean it is great to tow behind my SUV, I almost never stay more than three days in one spot, and many times its just overnight and never unhooked. The quick setup makes it ideal for traveling but I will agree that the interior space is minimal, especially for more than two people. The hard sides provide some added security as well as no wet fabric to fold. So for me the Aliner is a specialty market, but I have seen a family of four camping at a state park in the smallest one, the Alite, and having a great time - Different strokes for different folks.

I do also have a semi-folding Starcraft hybrid for times when I plan to stay many days at one place rather than just travel. Much more spacious interior with a real bathroom and shower. My Campers.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Thank you for sharing your experience, and I fully appreciate the nuances of your conclusion that you'd bought the wrong camper for YOU. And not that you meant to criticize the A-liner itself.

There are important lessons in there for selecting a camper or anything, actually.

hessp
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I needed to be more specific. Our I15Q came with a HD TV Antenna with a Built-In Digital Signal Meter.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Very interesting insight, thanks for posting. We kind of had the same experience many years ago with a small PUP - it just didn't fit our needs.
You may not know this but it's kind a a crime here to announce you have a new trailer and not show us pics :B (hint, hint!)

Enjoy your new RV,

Scott

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
hessp wrote:
a digital antenna

What is a digital antenna?
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."