cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Traveling Poll, Results.....

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just arrived yesterday in Elkhart, IN the RV Capitol of the world. I traveled from SoCal starting last Wednesday and traveled thru CA, AZ, NM, OK, MO, IL and IN. I noted every RV hauler and hotshotter with a DOT sign on the side of their truck. I assumed it would be RAM, GM and then Ford way last but not so.

Results

RAM 59 Dually's, 5 SRW Total 64

Ford 10 Dually's, 5 SRW Total 15

GM 7 Dually's, 3 SRW Total 10

I stopped counting once I hit Elkhart. I have seen MANY RAM's here since yesterday with a couple fords and GM's.

My experience driving I-5 is different with the vast majority being RAM's and about 1/3 being GM's and near no Fords each trip North and south.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD
126 REPLIES 126

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I guess we don't care enough. I know there are more important things these days to think about like which restroom to use.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry if my reports that are TRUE hurt some feelings. I have said ALL three trucks are good within their warranty but this poll I did should give people in the market for a new truck and plan on keeping it after the warranty is gone something to consider.

If anyone doubts that RAM dominates "THIS" market then THEY truly are wearing rose colored glasses. I do fully understand RAM does not sell the most trucks.

I posted this with facts as "I" have seen them, anyone that knows me knows I do not fabricate anything. I have no reason to.

I have to say I don't think there has been one GM owner comment so far negatively on this thread, HMMMMMM.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
Keep in mind that the detractors that have jumped onboard are fanboys of their liking. I'll be on the road all day tomorrow, so maybe I'll keep note myself 🙂

Hey Cummins, how many of those Rams were using the Andersen UH :B

I encourage anyone else to develop their own competing statistics. Just don't be afraid to report back when you find out that Rams do indeed control the market of haulers and RVers.

And no. The sales numbers don't have a direct correlation to this discussion. Considering that only a small percentage of actual sales are for these types of uses, how can such broad data be useful?

Economic 101 would say you're wrong. BTW I'm not a fanboy of any particular brand. I've owned all three and I recently sided with you guys when another poster called Ram junk. I've done this before as a game with my boys and Ram has never dominated. It certainly has good representation but never 4x the Fords or 6x the GMs. The OP claims to hardly see a Ford doing work along I-5 both north and south. Do you know how unlikely that is? Take off the Ram colored glasses and come back to reality. The major hitch manufacturers cater to Ford's 5th wheel hitch prep package for a reason. Likely its because its a large market with lots of profit but that just the capitalist in me coming out.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
patriotgrunt wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
" I'm a pretty observational person and I honestly see representation from each brand that coincides with the sales numbers. To claim unrealistic statistics just begs for criticism. "

As I have said this thread has NOTHING to do with sales numbers. I am making NO claims just honestly reporting what I have witnessed.

And you've established a pretty low reputation for objectivity on this site. The truth is you're the biggest Ram fanboy on this site and you've created this thread to start a brand war which no one can argue with. You've stated by your own numbers that you've observed Rams 4x the number of Fords and 6x the number of GMs. Those numbers are highly suspect considering the market sales. There's a correlation between those numbers whether you want to believe it or not. Its like me claiming I passed by 4x more Wendys than I did McDonalds restaurants on a long trip across the country. However, if for some reason I really craved frosty's all the time, I might be likely to only notice Wendy's along the way.

I prefer Oreo Blizzards from Dairy Queen, myself. :B
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that the detractors that have jumped onboard are fanboys of their liking. I'll be on the road all day tomorrow, so maybe I'll keep note myself 🙂

Hey Cummins, how many of those Rams were using the Andersen UH :B

I encourage anyone else to develop their own competing statistics. Just don't be afraid to report back when you find out that Rams do indeed control the market of haulers and RVers.

And no. The sales numbers don't have a direct correlation to this discussion. Considering that only a small percentage of actual sales are for these types of uses, how can such broad data be useful?
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Yet you responded nonetheless.

You started it OP, and you knew full well what you were getting into when you started it.

The only thing I'm shocked at is that you haven't posted yet another pic of your truck like you do in every other thread. I'm sure you will now though just to prove a point.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not worth a response.

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
" I'm a pretty observational person and I honestly see representation from each brand that coincides with the sales numbers. To claim unrealistic statistics just begs for criticism. "

As I have said this thread has NOTHING to do with sales numbers. I am making NO claims just honestly reporting what I have witnessed.

And you've established a pretty low reputation for objectivity on this site. The truth is you're the biggest Ram fanboy on this site and you've created this thread to start a brand war which no one can argue with. You've stated by your own numbers that you've observed Rams 4x the number of Fords and 6x the number of GMs. Those numbers are highly suspect considering the market sales. There's a correlation between those numbers whether you want to believe it or not. Its like me claiming I passed by 4x more Wendys than I did McDonalds restaurants on a long trip across the country. However, if for some reason I really craved frosty's all the time, I might be likely to only notice Wendy's along the way.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
We've been up there a bunch of times. That area of Indiana and Michigan is one of the most beautiful and enjoyable regions in the country.
SBGTF

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
WTP-GC wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have been driving around Elkhart and Goshen for the last 4 days. No doubt the RAM's far outnumber the other two and there are not many GM's at all...

Sounds like the transportation of choice there is either Ram or Horse/Buggy.

That is so true. Really is amazing how they get around on buggies and bicycles. We watched a guy plowing his field with 6 horses today.

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
You did read that I drive 30K to 40K a year and have a freaking ****-ton of seat time watching other vehicles go by?

That's great info and same with this thread premise... all that it has proved is two guy's observations. Nothing more, nothing less. There is zero scientific data to support both observations.

Didn't anyone in this thread touting observations like they are fact ever go to school?

Funny, that you quoted this but not the other part where I clearly said: YMMV, my experiences. Nothing here has been presented as to be
"scientific"

That's why I mentioned the velcro effect on page 4. People are more likely to accept facts that support their biases. I've owned all three brands and I firmly believe all three make good trucks. I'm a pretty observational person and I honestly see representation from each brand that coincides with the sales numbers. To claim unrealistic statistics just begs for criticism.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have been driving around Elkhart and Goshen for the last 4 days. No doubt the RAM's far outnumber the other two and there are not many GM's at all...

Sounds like the transportation of choice there is either Ram or Horse/Buggy.
SBGTF

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been driving around Elkhart and Goshen for the last 4 days. No doubt the RAM's far outnumber the other two and there are not many GM's at all, that really surprises me. The Surprising but not really surprising thing I have consistently seen is the Ford trucks are about 50/50 7.3's and 6.7's. I have not been counting but Im would say the Fords are about 20 percent.

It really is amazing EVERYWHERE you look there are RV's sitting on lots ready to be delivered or are being towed down the road. If anyone wants a job this is the place to be! MorRyde is hiring, sounds like they are a good company to work for.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
patriotgrunt wrote:
Me Again wrote:
I have said in other threads, our snowbird park last winter was full on new RAM towing large 5th wheels. The count is not even close with the other two.

Does anyone have a break out of FORD 150, 250, 350, 450 and 550 sales numbers. I think if all the 150/1500's were removed the number would look very different for just the HD models. Ford's F150 best selling vehicle skews the numbers.

Chris

You Ram mafia guys are a hoot. Please research the "velcro effect." Here's the last breakdown I could find for 2014 sales by truck type. There hasn't been much shift since then because each branch hasn't introduced a newer model yet. Ford led HD sales by almost 100,000 sales that year over Ram.

2014 sales breakdown

This thread has NOTHING to do with the amount of trucks each of the big 3 sells. It's about RV haulers and HotShotters and what they CHOOSE to drive.