cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nankang car tires. Any good?

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Need to buy my sis a new set of tires for her car.
Seems Nankangs have good reviews and looking at under $300 for a set vs about $500 for the "name brands."
Any one with personal experience with Nankang tires?

Also considering a set Nankang mudders for my old CJ5. It doesn't get driven but a couple times a year around the block and on the trails and the 25 year old tires that are on it got more cracks than a shattered windshield.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Thanks to those for the Nankang reviews. That’s where I’m headed.
Can get some Nankang studless snows for perty cheeep.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Grit, check walmart on Kumho tires in her size, 195-65-16 are 68.99 US
or for that a 215-55-16 for $70.99 us Kumho

They seemed good to us.

Thanks, I did. Some super no names for the $50 range + tax and $100 or so for any sort of name.
I can Amazon them to her no tax free shipping more economically and mom n pop tires shops are all that’s around there save for Wallmart and the mom n pops aren’t turning down mounting internet tires yet like in the cities. They’ll take any business they can get.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
2012Coleman wrote:
Do you have a Costco/Sams Club membership? If so, check prices there on name brand tires.

There isn’t a Costco within 3 hours of where she lives unfortunately....or fortunately depending how you look at it.

busterja21
Explorer
Explorer
i have a set of nankang SP-9, no complaints they have about 25k on them and are about half worn out. snow traction is decent, and road noise is minimal.paid 285 for a set of 235-65-18's from discount direct and 59 bucks to mount/balance from tiresplus.
2019 CC F350
2017 Impact 312 Toyhauler
2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 (mine)
2013 Yamaha grizzly 550 (hers)
1998 Kawi Prairie 400 (boys)

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
I have been running Nanking on my Astro van for 6+ years and have no complaints. I also ran some Nexian tires on a PT Cruiser with no problems for several years. I have some Wal Mart brand Dextero's on my Duramax Silverado. They have been better than the OEM's(Bridgestone) for longevity. I even have some Falken LT tires on the 5er that have lasted longer than Maxxis ST tires.
Turret Class traveler

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Grit, check walmart on Kumho tires in her size, 195-65-16 are 68.99 US
or for that a 215-55-16 for $70.99 us Kumho

They seemed good to us.

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
Not apples to apples but I had them on my boat trailer for about 10 years with absolutely no issues. Held air well and no rot when I swapped them out. 205/75-14 size load C iirc.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a Costco/Sams Club membership? If so, check prices there on name brand tires.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Agree Kumho tires are more proven. But at $100 a tire vs $60-70/tire it adds up. (Long story, but we provide a great deal of financial support for her and her 4 kids already)
I wish takeoffs were an option but she lives in the Northwoods, not something that is available up there, believe me I looked, but firewood for sale adds outnumber takeoff car tires by about 30 to 1, lol.

Edit, it's a little Chebby HHR we found her out here in WA in beautiful shape last year. Nicest car she's had in a long time.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't mention car type or tire size for your sisters car, but look at Kumho tires if it is a small car. They are decent quality, good tread patterns and reasonably priced, HelMart sells them online and by having them shipped to store, it makes for an easy transaction. I put them on m'ladies little Chev Cobalt, and they actually seemed better driving than the 50,000 mile Michelins we took off.
If her vehicle is a larger or more of an off road vehicle, I would stay with most of the American mfr's.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Go ahead...get the Cheng Shen mudders for the old CJ, but best buy on some quality OEM take offs for your Sister's car should not be expensive.

No personal experience with tire in question.

Jerry