Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Chevy/GMC Advice

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Need some constructive advice please
We currently have a well maintained 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 extended cab (not crew) and short 6.5 bed with 6.0 gas engine and 4.11 rear that has 126K miles. Tow rating is listed at 10.5 K. We tow a travel trailer that has a dry weight of 8900 and is 38 feet long so weโ€™re really maxed out and the truck has some difficulty on hills and towing stability is marginal and requires much more handling correction then Iโ€™ve ever experienced in past 3 TTโ€™s (all smaller) weโ€™ve towed with this truck. Itโ€™s been a great truck.

Looking at a new truck and comparing models and we do not want a Diesel engine. That being said Chevy/GM has the same 2500HD crew cab 4x4 short bed with the 4.11 rear that is now rated at 13K tow rating.

Towing with a Reese Stait Line WDH that is brand new.

Questions:
1) Would we be gaining anything in the stability and tow power over our current truck?
2) Does the age of the current truck effect its tow ability?
3) Why do the newer Chevy/GM trucks equipped the same have a higher tow rating?
4) Will waiting on the new 6.2 Chevy gas engine thatโ€™s rumored be better?
5) Is the length of our TT matched with our current truck adding to the handling issues?

Lots of questions. Not nearly ready to drop the coin on a new truck yet just doing some homework and studying during this long winter.
Please understand Iโ€™m not against diesel, just donโ€™t like the additional maintenance needed and the added upfront cost is substantial.
Iโ€™m not against Ford either except Iโ€™m not sold on the aluminum bed. Yes I know Chevy is adding more aluminum body parts now but I think the bed should be steel.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH
34 REPLIES 34

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding question 1. Someone said he would gain stability with a newer truck. How so? New truck should have larger tires. Would that be part of the reason?
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are having handling issues, the first thing I would do is get more weight on the tongue (like 150 lbs more). Second make sure your WDH w/ sway control (you do have one right?) is properly set up.

If you are having Hp issues, that's a reason to go shopping for a new truck. But if your going to spend that much money, get one with a longer wheelbase. That's part of your problems.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
An additional 60 HP with 2 more gears in the transmission would make a huge difference as far as towing ability. I've towed extremely long trailers and found some sway terribly while another the same length had virtually no sway. The surest way to eliminate sway is to move to a fifth wheel.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
2003silverado wrote:
1. Yes

2. Probably not enough to notice.

3. Your vintage of 6.0 engine has 300hp and 360 torque. The newer gen 6.0 has 360hp and 380 torque. Also, the 6 speed transmission that has been mated to the 6.0 liter since 2007 is a vast improvement over your 4 speed. Also, the newer trucks have a stronger frame, larger brakes, and class V receiver.

4. If the 6.2 ends up in the HD trucks, it will be better but at this point that is purely speculation. I think the chances of that happening at this point are about 0

5. Yes, the longer the trailer the more likely sway will be a concern.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
1. Yes

2. Probably not enough to notice.

3. Your vintage of 6.0 engine has 300hp and 360 torque. The newer gen 6.0 has 360hp and 380 torque. Also, the 6 speed transmission that has been mated to the 6.0 liter since 2007 is a vast improvement over your 4 speed. Also, the newer trucks have a stronger frame, larger brakes, and class V receiver.

4. If the 6.2 ends up in the HD trucks, it will be better but at this point that is purely speculation.

5. Yes, the longer the trailer the more likely sway will be a concern.