cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help ID Manufacturer of Vintage Camper

flysar
Explorer
Explorer
About one week ago I bought this fiberglass pop up truck camper for some short outings and was hoping someone could help me ID the manufacturer for registration; the placard that is printed manufacturer, Date & Serial Number is blank. The previous owner thought it was built in the 70's. Only lead I have is a raised lettered placard on the back "Yucca Valley" and a meets standards California Dept of Housing plate. I emailed them the data plate information and nothing turned up.

19 REPLIES 19

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
flysar wrote:
About one week ago I bought this fiberglass pop up truck camper for some short outings and was hoping someone could help me ID the manufacturer for registration; the placard that is printed manufacturer, Date & Serial Number is blank. The previous owner thought it was built in the 70's. Only lead I have is a raised lettered placard on the back "Yucca Valley" and a meets standards California Dept of Housing plate. I emailed them the data plate information and nothing turned up.

Could you post additional photos of any symbols, the name plates of any kind to give us something to work with.

Dealing with California Dept. of Housing is an exercise in clueless when it comes to TC's.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gee Super_Dave, you sure are hard on a Vintage guy.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
805gregg wrote:
Why do people use "vintage" instead of old, not vintage
I have wondered that about wine. Why a "Vintage" bottle wine? Is it not just an "Old" bottle of wine? I wonder why I am sometimes referred to as an "Old" guy, but never a "Vintage" guy? After a little thought, I conclude it really makes no difference.

Wayne

Wayne,
It does make a difference. Vintage = desirable and sought after while old is, well, just old. I think if you put it in context to your reference, it makes sense, right? LOL!
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

2KGeorgieBoy
Explorer
Explorer
flysar..don't know if you have had any luck IDing your pop up,but I entered "vintage pop up truck campers" and "vintage pop up truck camper clubs?" into both Google and Bing and got a large number of images and listings of vintage camper clubs. I took a quick look at the images on Bing and it seemed to have several hundred (it kept loading images as I scrolled down). A large number on Google also. Maybe you can find your unit there or on other search engines? Good Luck! Gary in Westcliffe, CO.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
805gregg wrote:
I have wondered that about wine. Why a "Vintage" bottle wine? Is it not just an "Old" bottle of wine? I wonder why I am sometimes referred to as an "Old" guy, but never a "Vintage" guy? After a little thought, I conclude it really makes no difference.

Wayne

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

bens170
Explorer
Explorer
flysar,
The state of CA does not require the Truck Camper to be registered. But it can be registered at the CA state level at the following address:
Department of Housing And Community Development
Division of Codes And Standards
Registration And Titling Program
P.O. Box 2111
Sacramento, CA 95812-2111
Since the truck camper can be classified as second home.
I hope this will help. Also, are their any numbers from the plate and/or decal from the State of CA.

flysar
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
flysar wrote:

Is there a reason why you think I shouldn't ask the question on an open forum that may have some folks on here that owned one or knew of someone who did and can provide some helpful information.

If you got an open forum answer and wrote that down, I'm just confused how that helps anyone at DMV? You have no proof of anything and might as well write down the first camper manufacturer that comes to mind. No official serial number and no official name plate? I wasn't trying to be snarky. Just thought a simple, "I don't know" might suffice in order to get what you need done. As any answer you provide will just be heresay, I think.

Fair enough, hard to tell sometimes from type.

You're probably right, "I don't know" may be the best I have.

flysar
Explorer
Explorer
Handbasket wrote:
If there's a Yucca Valley in CA or an adjoining state, and if it's incorporated, it'll likely have a town web site, and maybe a Chamber of Commerce, possibly even a library, and maybe even someone who's the official or unofficial town or county historian. Google will know. If so, try a few emails to various places and see if anybody there knows of the past existence of such a business. If not, ask for or research online the name of some local RV & automotive businesses. Email them, ask that they show the pix to their older staff members.

Jim, "There are worse things than a wrong number call at 4 am. It could be a _right_ number."

I contacted Yucca Valley CA Chamber of Commerce after your suggestion and I found out the town of Yucca Valley is a suburb of San Bernadino and not incorporated until 91'. Area towns are named after trees or plants so this may be a dead end.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
flysar wrote:

Is there a reason why you think I shouldn't ask the question on an open forum that may have some folks on here that owned one or knew of someone who did and can provide some helpful information.

If you got an open forum answer and wrote that down, I'm just confused how that helps anyone at DMV? You have no proof of anything and might as well write down the first camper manufacturer that comes to mind. No official serial number and no official name plate? I wasn't trying to be snarky. Just thought a simple, "I don't know" might suffice in order to get what you need done. As any answer you provide will just be heresay, I think.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

snowcrustracer
Explorer
Explorer
You could try posting those pictures over at WWW. Wanderthewest.com.

Some one over there may be able to help you.

snow
2000 Toyota Tundra & 2007 FWC Eagle (SOLD)
2016 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW & 2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EXRR

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
If there's a Yucca Valley in CA or an adjoining state, and if it's incorporated, it'll likely have a town web site, and maybe a Chamber of Commerce, possibly even a library, and maybe even someone who's the official or unofficial town or county historian. Google will know. If so, try a few emails to various places and see if anybody there knows of the past existence of such a business. If not, ask for or research online the name of some local RV & automotive businesses. Email them, ask that they show the pix to their older staff members.

Jim, "There are worse things than a wrong number call at 4 am. It could be a _right_ number."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

flysar
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
My thinking was that if you do this exhaustive search to find a name of a no longer existing manufacturer, what does it really gain you?

WA State Patrol has to inspect the camper, research for theft, and who knows what else and then I can file for a "Ownership in Doubt" Title.

My thought is that the more info I can provide the smoother this event will be.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think there is a "Yucca Valley" in California. Considering it has a a meets standards California Dept of Housing plate it would be logical to believe it was manufactured in California. Considering California does not register TCs, I would think a bill of sale is all you would need to register it in WA.