cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 3.0 Duramax Info

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
New 3.0 diesel announced. I'm happy to see these continue their run. If I were in the market for a GM 1500, there is no question that this would be on my short list.

Duramax
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010
9 REPLIES 9

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Thanks for posting; this looks great! Does anyone know if they plan on installing this in the Yukon/Tahoe platforms? That may be our future SUV if that is the case.

The DPF location is certainly interesting. It would eliminate the theft problem of them though.

GM already offers the 3.0 Duramax in the Tahoe/Yukon. Better get one now before they obsolete them.

Yes, I've seen several of them, but are they installing this new version in them?
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
Thanks for posting; this looks great! Does anyone know if they plan on installing this in the Yukon/Tahoe platforms? That may be our future SUV if that is the case.

The DPF location is certainly interesting. It would eliminate the theft problem of them though.

GM already offers the 3.0 Duramax in the Tahoe/Yukon. Better get one now before they obsolete them.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
First question: Does it have a lifter seizing problem?
Second question: Why do they do that weird thing with the RPO code? LM2 --> L20? Why not LM2 --> LM3?

I'm sure this engine does not have the lifter issue. That problem is with the gas V8 engines with displacement on demand

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
First question: Does it have a lifter seizing problem?
Second question: Why do they do that weird thing with the RPO code? LM2 --> L20? Why not LM2 --> LM3?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
GM has done a good job with this half ton diesel. No real issues on the original 3 .0 and I doubt this one will be any different. The MPG has been impressive. Hopefully all of that continues. There is a fine line between performance and economy and GM seems to have found that line. Also impressive is the price is reasonable for the 3.0 and hopefully that doesn't change either.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Ya, a lot of heat under the hood. Or maybe it’s really well insulated?
But basically LB7 power in a small displacement 1/2 ton is impressive to say the least.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Steel pistons!!!!

I like and dislike having the DPF next to the engine. I like that the natural exhaust temps will probably create better passive regens on the DPF which should reduce the frequency of active regens. I don't like having the DPF creating all that heat during an active regen next the engine and surrounding components.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
No “first year in production” worries?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad