cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New and confused

eherber
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all! New here, so instantly I apologize if this info is somewhere else, and I do not know where. I did some searching, but I'm also at work so I can't steal all the time.

My Wife and I just entered into the travel trailer world. We're pretty much complete newbies. We did our research and found a TT with a bunk house was the best bet with our family, us and 3 kiddos 5 and under. We purchased the new (cringe) Jayco Jay Flight SLX 8 267BHSW. We got the Baja package and the rocky mountain edition. We live in AZ, plan to do a lot of dry camping, but also try to traverse the country and show our kids what it has to offer. On top of visiting family in MN and VA. Our intent, or so we thought, was to buy a used 2016-2019 Suburban. Separate our kids in the vehicle, and bring the 4 legged friend inside for comfort too. In talking with some co-workers who have done a lot of camping, they have since advised us to not go with the suburban, as it is more or less the half ton now, they do not make the 3/4 ton anymore (since 2013.) With the trailer being at max 7300lbs, towing up the mountains of AZ, they don't think the 1500 is all that "safe" of an option. Fine, so now our options are a 3/4 truck for the most part as we want something used but with lower miles. Now sacrificing our space (all 3 kids in child's seats, two in rear facing)

The gist. Are they correct? Even with the different engine packages of the newer subs, their point is the transmission and suspension aren't really "up to par" for towing the 30' raised trailer fully loaded. Granted the tow rating of the sub is 8100-8300 - other factors should be considered.

Thanks for your time, and any input. Again, I apologize If this info is out there. I need to get more concrete answers to my wife, she hears me, gets me, but then circles back to the Sub... she wants the space. I... do not want to sacrifice safety.
43 REPLIES 43

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Geo*Boy wrote:

The van we are recommending is a proven van that has been used for years in commercial applications, including towing duties and were never front wheel drive.

Even some of the 3/4ton vans are front wheel drive.

Just pointing out that 3/4 ton by itself doesn't mean it's a good option.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Skidus1
Explorer
Explorer
4x4 conversion can be done if funds allow.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
Maybe a 3/4 ton van?

This^^^^^

Make sure it's one of the old style body on frame rear wheel drive models. Some of the newer vans are front wheel drive and not really set up for towing.

The van we are recommending is a proven van that has been used for years in commercial applications, including towing duties and were never front wheel drive.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Geo*Boy wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
Maybe a 3/4 ton van?

This^^^^^

Make sure it's one of the old style body on frame rear wheel drive models. Some of the newer vans are front wheel drive and not really set up for towing.

If 4x4 is a concern, go with a 4 door 3/4 ton pickup...but keep expectations in check. It will help a little but big trucks are lousy off road vehicles.

The 3/4 ton 4 door trucks are really pretty spacious in the back seat. I can recall a road trip back in college with a professor to go to a trade show. We had 6 - 6fters in his F350 for 500miles each way...no problem at all.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The GM 1 ton vans are bullet proof, hopefully you can find one with a locking differential. If in the future you feel you want to do dry camping there are several companies that make four wheel conversions for the GM vans.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
My recommendation would be to go with a pre 2002 F350 7.3 Diesel or a post 2016 F350 6.7 Diesel both with crew cabs, 4X4, long bed with bed caps. They will give you abundant inside space with comfortable ride and lots of storage in bed as tremendous towing and cargo numbers. A dually would be tops.

eherber
Explorer
Explorer
All!

Thanks for all the opinions and options. I'm still not 100% on which way to go, but I'll get there. The van idea is intriguing, my wife actually started throwing that idea out yesterday. However, unless I'm missing it, they don't appear to have 4x4 capabilities. I think if we succeed in our goal do do more dry camping, we're going to want to have something with that option.

I'm still not opposed to the sub route, but you have to find the needle in the haystack with the legitimate tow package. Better frame, better suspension, better transmission. Every one within a 200 mile radius doesn't seem to have it. They're all 6 lugs vs 8 lugs...

Again, thanks for all the input. If anything, it helped me show my wife that although the sub would be ideal considering kids (no I do not have the quite kiddos), it may not be technically sound.

Follow-up inquiry. Do you all who tow with a dodge like it? Mechanic where I work used to be a Chrysler master mechanic. He also happens to be a big TT guy. He said he would never tell anyone to by a Chrysler model. Said in all his training, they've basically relayed to mechanics that the vehicles are designed to break down. Granted they will at some point in time, but he said it was as if they purposely made it to be that way. FYI, he tows with a 3500 GMC crew cab.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
As a dad of four daughters (and I survived the 6319 consecutive days of teenage daughters), I would suggest a full size van. Yes, a crew-cab would work (had one). You can get an off-rental (2019 or soon 2020), one-ton Express for around $23k. Make sure you find a 6.0 V8. Additionally, some have the sliding door. This vehicle (although not really cool, or quiet) will make traveling more about fun than "they are touching me". Of course, you may have three perfect siblings that never do such a thing. And if the drive is more fun for Dad, it is more fun for everyone. They also make it so you can take friends or other family members.

I suggest the large white van!
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

You could always look for a used For Expedition.. They are showing a tow rating of 9,300 #

"It has best-in-class towing of 9,300-lbs. when equipped with the Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package. "
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
You don't want 3 kids and a dog inside a pickup truck; especially when they get a few years older. You need a 3/4 ton van.

It works for my family. Then again my dad dragged us around in a little Nissan king cab with those little jump seats when I was a kid so maybe I'm scarred.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

APT
Explorer
Explorer
That TT is about 500 pounds pounds dry. That will be close to 6500 pounds loaded with 800-900 pounds of TW. With 3 young children, I think most modern half tons SUVs should be good it. They seem to come in around 1600 pounds of payload which is you likely practically limit. As much as I love my Suburban, you will appreciate the extra power of Ford's Ecoboost in the Expedition, especially at higher altitudes.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good advice OP and seeing that you're more interested in a used vehicle, then I'll agree too that a 3/4 ton van should be had. They are out there. Used CC pick-ups are not as large as say '17 and up are. Tho a Forde guy, the Mega cab is HUGE inside, but as OP said, they have 3 little ones and a dog, so the dog would end up on floor or in crate in bed of truck as one poster said if truck is a CC.

So OP, do a used 3/4 ton van search unless you see the need to have a pick up for other things. Also, plan for several years down the road as vehicles prices are going nuts, your needs and all. On a personal note here, we bought a '15 F350 CC SRW in Dec of '14 thinking no problem as it had high tow numbers across the board. 2 years later we upgraded RV (in sig) and now we are at max and then some with weights. She did ok 1st year ('15 F350) and I really liked the truck. Come '18 vaykay plans to FL in summer time. Knowing we were over on tire capacity on the '15, had this nagging/gut feeling that wouldn't go away. So ended up getting a '17 F350 DRW. She tows like a dream, wife is more comfy driving / the RV while I catch a nap. Do I like the DRW? For towing yes. Would I like a SRW instead, yes---especially in winter. Pocketbook only goes so far and while the newest of trucks all have higher ratings, the weight of the RV is dictating type of truck and to feel safe in. Like I said, the '15 did well but it was up against all the ratings for it. If a tire blew on it at Hiway speed and the weight she had..........YEE HAW ! Being wise on the yeehaw haw. Wife does well when she's driving/towing and for her to say she feels better w/ the DRW while towing, well that says it all and now feel better about going/getting the DRW. Just something to think about.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good advice OP and seeing that you're more interested in a used vehicle, then I'll agree too that a 3/4 ton van should be had. They are out there. Used CC pick-ups are not as large as say '17 and up are. Tho a Forde guy, the Mega cab is HUGE inside, but as OP said, they have 3 little ones and a dog, so the dog would end up on floor or in crate in bed of truck as one poster said if truck is a CC.

So OP, do a used 3/4 ton van search unless you see the need to have a pick up for other things. Also, plan for several years down the road as vehicles prices are going nuts, your needs and all. On a personal note here, we bought a '15 F350 CC SRW in Dec of '14 thinking no problem as it had high tow numbers across the board. 2 years later we upgraded RV (in sig) and now we are at max and then some with weights. She did ok 1st year ('15 F350) and I really liked the truck. Come '18 vaykay plans to FL in summer time. Knowing we were over on tire capacity on the '15, had this nagging/gut feeling that wouldn't go away. So ended up getting a '17 F350 DRW. She tows like a dream, wife is more comfy driving / the RV while I catch a nap. Do I like the DRW? For towing yes. Would I like a SRW instead, yes---especially in winter. Pocketbook only goes so far and while the newest of trucks all have higher ratings, the weight of the RV is dictating type of truck and to feel safe in. Like I said, the '15 did well but it was up against all the ratings for it. If a tire blew on it at Hiway speed and the weight she had..........YEE HAW ! Being wise on the yeehaw haw. Wife does well when she's driving/towing and for her to say she feels better w/ the DRW while towing, well that says it all and now feel better about going/getting the DRW. Just something to think about.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
You don't want 3 kids and a dog inside a pickup truck; especially when they get a few years older. You need a 3/4 ton van.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
We have three kids and use a crew cab. For a time we had two of three in rear facing seats too. It was tight but worked okay. The dog goes in a kennel in the truck bed unless it's really hot or cold in which case we flip up the front console and let her ride up front, which she thinks is awesome.

For the length of trips you are contemplating with that size family...I don't think a half ton SUV is a great choice. Check out the HD crew cabs and the Ram Mega if you think a little more space would be better. I was tempted by the Mega but ultimately we decided the crew cab was a better fit.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB