cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Battery for the TV

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
My F-150 is about due for a new battery, being 4 years old this is not a surprise. The truck has been mostly sitting for the last couple of months as I rehab the new knee. I went out the other day and it turned over but noticeably slower than usual. Spent a little time on the internet then headed down the road.

I knew I wanted the strongest group 65 with a 3 year full replacement warranty and to purchase from a nationwide chain (we are headed out on a multi state/month trip in about 3 weeks). Ended up, after 6 stops, at AutoZone and got their top of the line 850 CCA, 5 year, 3 year full replacement - last two pro rated, warranty for $139 installed. I'll probably have the truck for another 3 to 5 years so for just a couple of extra bucks it will just be one less thing to worry about. Having them drop it in was convenient as walking is still a challenge and humping the battery in would have been a stretch.

No complaint on spending the money as in 4 years and 40,000+ miles it has needed nothing but brakes, tires, shocks and now a battery... may it always be so. :B
8 REPLIES 8

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
Lowsuv wrote:
AGM batteries have a longer service life .
AGM batteries will not leak and corrode your battery tray .
AGM batteries are more tolerant to being run down and coming back to life .
There are two brands : Optima made by Johnson Controls
EDGE made by Exide .
I found the EDGE batteries at Bi-Mart for $ 139 in the size that fits a Duramax .
we use our Duramax batteries when doing dispersed boondock camping off the grid .
The EDGE AGM batteries are more tolerant for this kind of usage .

AGM batteries have advantages and disadvantages as in charging. Bottom line is a Red or Yellow top ( which I run in my boat) are a lot more money than a maintenance free gel cell battery which lasted me almost 8 years in the truck. (OBTW they didn't leak out) I don't see any AGM giving a free replacement longer than a 3 year period thus the point is moot. I like the tops in the boat cause they don't leak out, ever, and can be mounted without being level. That's about it though as my vehicles always get the flooded/gem type just like the manufacture put in em. They sure are prudy though :W

Am also a convert...still purchase Costco because of the price and warranty
And that is what the Sub has...a 1,000 CCA wet cell from Costco

They did not have any Optima's and needed/wanted it NOW, but didn't
want to drive to another place & pay more

The Red top lasted over 12 years. Even after two times running it down
where it would not start the big block. 50 year old battery charger
topped it right up and know I should buy a new charger with 'smarts'
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
I got lucky, I got a bat to last me 9yrs, but I took care of it too.and now it's all happy-camping

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
45Ricochet wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
Yeah I had to break down and buy a pair couple of weeks ago. Same size but a 3 year replacement and 8 years of prorated for the same price at Sears. Hope these last as long at the OEM's did :W

My dad reported he had to replace his batteries in his Chevy recently in their 05, but he also puts on about the same amount of miles/year (~12k) as you do. :W

LOL you still remember that post when I lived in LA. Yeah didn't drive the DRW GMC to the office every day. Some of us have Tow Vehicles and other vehicles for daily transportation in congested areas. Not sure if LA applies here, but I have a hunch it does :B
Let me run out and get all 4 OD readings and report back. Your most likely right, being retired and living where I do there is no reason to travel much :W

Rick,
Give us a full report... LOL :B My parents are retired as well and their truck doesn't get driven a lot either except for the occasional camping trip and deer camp trip.

Anyways my dad was touting how long his batteries lasted and I had to remind him that his truck spends most of the time in the garage (Still a GM man including AC Delco products at heart).

Now my 05 Super Duty would eat batteries.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
Yeah I had to break down and buy a pair couple of weeks ago. Same size but a 3 year replacement and 8 years of prorated for the same price at Sears. Hope these last as long at the OEM's did :W

My dad reported he had to replace his batteries in his Chevy recently in their 05, but he also puts on about the same amount of miles/year (~12k) as you do. :W

LOL you still remember that post when I lived in LA. Yeah didn't drive the DRW GMC to the office every day. Some of us have Tow Vehicles and other vehicles for daily transportation in congested areas. Not sure if LA applies here, but I have a hunch it does :B
Let me run out and get all 4 OD readings and report back. Your most likely right, being retired and living where I do there is no reason to travel much :W
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:
EDGE made by Exide .
I found the EDGE batteries at Bi-Mart for $ 139 in the size that fits a Duramax .
we use our Duramax batteries when doing dispersed boondock camping off the grid .

AGM batteries have advantages and disadvantages as in charging. Bottom line is a Red or Yellow top ( which I run in my boat) are a lot more money than a maintenance free gel cell battery which lasted me almost 8 years in the truck. (OBTW they didn't leak out) I don't see any AGM giving a free replacement longer than a 3 year period thus the point is moot. I like the tops in the boat cause they don't leak out, ever, and can be mounted without being level. That's about it though as my vehicles always get the flooded/gem type just like the manufacture put in em. They sure are prudy though :W
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
45Ricochet wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
EDGE made by Exide .

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig