cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New GM HD "Allison" trans not built by Allison

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turns out GM is actually the ones building the new "Allison" 10 speed transmission that is going in the next gen HD trucks. They are keeping the brand name Allison but it won't be made by Allison Transmission Corp. Allison does say they will "verify" the transmission though.

Interesting way of looking at it.

TFL Video
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
13 REPLIES 13

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:
travelnutz wrote:
Glenwood Range in Delaware Ohio made the Kenmore appliances for Sears before Sears demise for eons and it was their very low entry level appliance product end but yet so many buyers had no idea of that FACT. I had been at the Glenwood Plant many times as I held the patents for their higher end product range door hinges product lines they also built for other higher end retail outlet product badged names.

So little the purchasing public knows as to actually manufactures the products they buy whether under product licensing or design licensing or not. Just like FCA only purchases the diesel engine from Cummins in Columbus Indiana they, Cummins, designs and manufacturers. Ford and GM designed and build their own full size truck diesel engines and GM builds them only in their own owned manufacturing plant in Moraine. Ohio Duramax engine plant. Duramax 6.6L is solely owned by GM as are all patents, design, and license to manufacture.

So is the Allison name totally owned by GM and has An Allison plant in Indianapolis Indiana for continually building Allison Transmissions. The Baltimore plant they sold to The Carlyle Group and the Onex Group used to manufacture the Allison 1000. Now the Allison Transmission is manufactured in-house at a GM plant again. No middleman anymore!

Many products simple have various sales outlet product label's slapped on them for identification POP (Point Of Purchase) and are just purchased from a typical manufacturer's standard product line and rebadged.

well, duramax development was a joint development between Izuzu and GM. with Izuzu doing a large amount, maybe the majority of the design. I serously doubt that GM has sole patent rights on the design. I suspect they are jointly shared between Izuzu and GM. GM does mfg the engine.

and the allison name is NOT totally owned by GM, in fact likely no ownership by GM. Allison was sold off from GM around 2007 as a seperate company continuing as Allison Transmission. IIRC as part of the sale agreement GM retained the ability to mfg the allison 1000 for use in GM products in one existing allison GM plant.

When GM sold Allison because of the bail out, they kept the rights of the design and to manufacture the transmission that goes into their HD trucks.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Glenwood Range in Delaware Ohio made the Kenmore appliances for Sears before Sears demise for eons and it was their very low entry level appliance product end but yet so many buyers had no idea of that FACT. I had been at the Glenwood Plant many times as I held the patents for their higher end product range door hinges product lines they also built for other higher end retail outlet product badged names.

So little the purchasing public knows as to actually manufactures the products they buy whether under product licensing or design licensing or not. Just like FCA only purchases the diesel engine from Cummins in Columbus Indiana they, Cummins, designs and manufacturers. Ford and GM designed and build their own full size truck diesel engines and GM builds them only in their own owned manufacturing plant in Moraine. Ohio Duramax engine plant. Duramax 6.6L is solely owned by GM as are all patents, design, and license to manufacture.

So is the Allison name totally owned by GM and has An Allison plant in Indianapolis Indiana for continually building Allison Transmissions. The Baltimore plant they sold to The Carlyle Group and the Onex Group used to manufacture the Allison 1000. Now the Allison Transmission is manufactured in-house at a GM plant again. No middleman anymore!

Many products simple have various sales outlet product label's slapped on them for identification POP (Point Of Purchase) and are just purchased from a typical manufacturer's standard product line and rebadged.

well, duramax development was a joint development between Izuzu and GM. with Izuzu doing a large amount, maybe the majority of the design. I serously doubt that GM has sole patent rights on the design. I suspect they are jointly shared between Izuzu and GM. GM does mfg the engine.

and the allison name is NOT totally owned by GM, in fact likely no ownership by GM. Allison was sold off from GM around 2007 as a seperate company continuing as Allison Transmission. IIRC as part of the sale agreement GM retained the ability to mfg the allison 1000 for use in GM products in one existing allison GM plant.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I thought I read that Chrysler builds the 9 speed ZF designed front wheel drive automatic transmission.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Noooooo! Wha tis this world coming to????
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Not unusual for someone to build another company's product under license

Whirlpool make Maytags
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not unusual for someone to build another company's product under license
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's the same design regardless who builds it. Like was said before GM use to own Allison.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
No one knows who builds what anymore. Big companies buy smaller ones and then turn around and sell them to another company, who then merge with another.
Soon Google, Amazon, and Microsoft will own everything.

Appliances and electronics are a perfect example. The names are different (and often familiar) but they all come off the same Chinese assembly line.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
No one knows who builds what anymore. Big companies buy smaller ones and then turn around and sell them to another company, who then merge with another.
Soon Google, Amazon, and Microsoft will own everything.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
GM is or at least was building the allison 1000 in house even after the sale of the allison division in 2007.

and the 6.6 was a joint design headed by Izusu, and GM builds them in house.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
GM owned Allison until 2007.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
Turns out GM is actually the ones building the new "Allison" 10 speed transmission that is going in the next gen HD trucks. They are keeping the brand name Allison but it won't be made by Allison Transmission Corp. Allison does say they will "verify" the transmission though.

Interesting way of looking at it.

TFL Video

That actually happens a lot with other makes as well. Ford had ZF design many of their 6R transmissions, but were built at Ford facilities using many ZF parts. Ram did the same with their 8 speed, but also sold variants built by ZF as well as those built in house. Hence the reason why there were two 8 speed models in their 1500s and other vehicles that used these transmissions. The ones built by ZF are 8HP70 and the one built in house are 870RE.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS