cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NEW GUY Looking for Best Hard Side TC for light off roading

Scars1989
Explorer
Explorer
So here is my story i am 25 ill be buying a Ford F-350 Dually Super Cab (or extended if u prefer basicly not a 4 door ) with a 8' bed
i am 100% noob to truck campers but not to trucks and off roading but i am also not calling my self a expert
before i get into campers i would like to know what is more important having super light weight how much would be to much with a 6k payload and COG... how do the 2 specs come in to play with off roading i know the COG need to be at or forward of the rear axle beyond that i don't know much
i would like to define the off roading ill be doing it will mostly be on trails but if i need to i would like to be able to travel off trails if i need get to the right camping spot but no MAJOR rock crawling or mud bogging
that said i would like to also have a 6'' lift and 3'' body lift for when i do not have the TC with me. would this lead to way to tall and unstable.
also what is too tall too
as for camper i know i want a hard-side i like them best and ill be going to mostly cold climates. with bears and other not so friendly wild life (i know they got collapsible kinda and the clamshell like the Alaskan dont like dont want i would rather not be able to do or go certain places then not have the hard side.
i would like but not need a dry bath but the toilet has to be the flushing kind
i dont need a slide but if i found one light enough it would be a +
and lastly i would take a larger fridge with the freezer attached over a oven

any imput and info would be great
70 REPLIES 70

Scars1989
Explorer
Explorer
anutami wrote:
I guess it is do able. here is a page from northwoods brochure for some inspiration it can be done.

Ya that there is exactly what in looking todo

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess it is do able. here is a page from northwoods brochure for some inspiration it can be done.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Scars1989
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Scars1989 wrote:
Enough about the class C i posted let's stay on topic I do not want my thred closed

Are you buying a lifted DRW or a normal DRW? ๐Ÿ™‚ Maybe a new thread with the new question would make more sense.

I'll be buying a standard DRW and then doing a lift

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Scars1989 wrote:
Enough about the class C i posted let's stay on topic I do not want my thred closed

Are you buying a lifted DRW or a normal DRW? ๐Ÿ™‚ Maybe a new thread with the new question would make more sense.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Scars1989
Explorer
Explorer

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
To OP:

Just a suggestion if you want a hard sided camper why not get your dually and load it up and then have a Jeep that you can raise and tow behind the truck. Then when you get to your location set up camp and take the Jeep off roading. If cost is a problem buy a used dually, used camper and then a used Jeep.

If you really want to do off roading this is the way I would go. In fact that is just what I'm doing. I have a Can Am Quad 2 passenger that I thinking about switching to a Rzr side X side. We also have Jeep, it is a new one so I'm not going to do any real rough off roading with it. I'm going to set it up so I can tow it behind the TCer
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Believe me Scars1989, that was a Class C. The camper is fixed to the frame as is a Class C. Please read my response to your notify. There is nothing more to about your post that I deleted.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Scars1989
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
The Thread is starting to drift. Please stay on topic; "NEW GUY Looking for Best Hard Side TC for light off roading". It about TCs, and does not include other RV types.

Wayne

Not trying to be rude but I belive that was a TC I had posted just a different style of TC

And to every body thank you for all the Input y'all are giving I like the ideas recommendations y'all have provided me WHEN I have more time I'd like to post some follow questions to ur posts I'll be back on this thred later today or to night

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
The Thread is starting to drift. Please stay on topic; "NEW GUY Looking for Best Hard Side TC for light off roading". It about TCs, and does not include other RV types.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Sentinelist
Explorer
Explorer
orfsotr wrote:
Check out www.expeditionportal.com, lots of info and forums.

This too. ExPo is actually my home forum for all this kinda of stuff (see sig link), though I'm probably here just as much for the TC-focused experience and solutions that I am working on the most (re: not traveling the globe yet).
'The TerraShuttle'
1993 Chevrolet Silverado K3500 6.5L mechanically-injected turbo-diesel 4x4 quad-cab SRW long-bed, Olympic White, 278k miles, 2001 Lance 815 self-contained TC rig

My build thread

Mtn_lion
Explorer
Explorer
DJ, Thanks for posting my Truck and Camper. My truck is a 2004 Chevy 2500 Duramax 4x4 crew cab short bed. I have a 7" lift with 35" E-rated tires. The camper is a Bigfoot 1500 8.2 I have Firestone air bags in the rear and recently travelled from Ca to Montana and back with no issues at all.

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at these...

Hardside, low , off road truck camper

Excellent for travelling in low clearance areas, hard sides, and an excellent camper.. Cassette toilet for remote areas...etc
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
DJ,
That is a nice looking rig. It looks like a Chevy, which needs some lift for off-roading anyway. It's the lowered swoop in the frame that can hang lower than Ford/Dodge does. Looks to be a 6" to 8" lift to me; and beadlock wheels. No air cond. Nothing on the roof. That is experience in action. I wonder if those steps are spring-loaded and fold down when you step on them? I see some standard tie-downs. I wonder if he plays with the tension on those, off-road to keep from pulling his Big Foot apart while frame twisting? The interesting thing to me is the double cab, which could carry up to 6 people in a pinch, and offers a lot of accessible storage, but there is no way six full-size bodies could fit over night in the camper. Just an observation, not a criticism. My guess is the full height is 10', 8".
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
While we're on the topic of lifted TC's Mtn Lion asked if I could post a pic of his for him. Here is is. Sweet!!!

I'll let him get on here and give the details.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Anutami,
I know I've been there....except we got the rig up out of the wash to camp. It's the same place as your pic, about 2006. Thanks for the re-visit.
jefe

Whizbang, I agree, DJ has the ideal rig for hard-core TC-ing and he got there incrementally. Now with bullet-proof drivetrain and suspension, he would be hard to follow up the the two-track by most of us.
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar