cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Hummer has crazy good specs. 1000 HP and 1150 torque.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Cut and paste from the article. Wow. Just wow.

1,000 horsepowers
11,500 pound feet of torque
Open air infinity roof
Modular sky panels
0 to 60 mph acceleration in 3 seconds
Adrenaline Mode
Crab Mode
Ultium Battery
Super fast charging
Next Gen SuperCruise
Ultra vision camera

Hereโ€™s a link.

https://electrek.co/2020/07/29/gmc-hummer-electric-pickup-new-pictures-features/
41 REPLIES 41

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Not sure how they are calculating horsepower, but if I applied the same math they used to come up with the 11,500 lb-ft of torque then my 2014 CTD makes over 13,500 lb-ft at the wheel.

1,230 lb-ft at the crank(level 4 tune) X 3.23 first gear X 3.42 rear axle ratio = 13,587 lb-ft at the wheels

Engineered Explained HERE touched on this during his video on the Bronco crawler gear. That the electric vehicle manufacturers quoting their wheel torque is misleading.

Yeah, if I added my 2.64 low gear of my truck like he did in the video, it would be 35,870 lb-ft.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Torque is always HP / RPM x 5252, it's law of physics that applies to any angular "force". In metric terms, torque (n-m) = power (watts) / rad/sec.

While meaningful to portray the shape of power curve on IC engines, torque becomes useless on electric motors. Motors by nature are nearly constant hp, with an inverse torque curve, i.e. immense torque rise.

Close to 0 rpm, a theoretical motor would have infinity torque. In real life, you're limited by current capacity of the motor windings.

The EV torque rating at the wheels is only meaningful to measure tractive effort, not motor performance. 11,500 lb-ft, with say 35" tires, roughly translates to 7886 lbs of tractive effort (assuming the truck weighs enough). How long it maintains that depends on the duty cycle of the motors at max torque (winding current).

However, 1000 hp, if true, is nothing to sneeze at...

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Horsepower is not the force that does the work, torque is.

HP is a measurement of work over time. It is the speedometer.

To compare directly the combustion engine vehicleโ€™s torque capability at the drive wheel ends from a standing start without breaking traction should be calculated as ShinerBock says. It is easy to do with manual trans. More math is needed with torque converter auto transโ€™sz.

I tried out 2 electric motorcycles. One of them might even do 0 to 60 in 2-1/2 secs canโ€™t remember. Thatโ€™s normal for fast bikes. Anyway they were super quick and boring as hell to ride on the road.

Electric drive is a good deal for โ€œapplianceโ€ vehicles requiring low pilot input / skill. Like golf cars, the drive or ride experience isnโ€™t the object of the exercise.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Not sure how they are calculating horsepower, but if I applied the same math they used to come up with the 11,500 lb-ft of torque then my 2014 CTD makes over 13,500 lb-ft at the wheel.

1,230 lb-ft at the crank(level 4 tune) X 3.23 first gear X 3.42 rear axle ratio = 13,587 lb-ft at the wheels

Engineered Explained HERE touched on this during his video on the Bronco crawler gear. That the electric vehicle manufacturers quoting their wheel torque is misleading.

DBH_MI
Explorer
Explorer

The difference is that the Electric Vehicle has all it's torque available from zero RPM all the way to the top speed of the vehicle. Not that it matters for tow vehicles, but that is the major reason internal combustion vehicles get waxed by electric vehicles in a drag race.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Well the previous Hummer presented an image of wasteful indulgence and environmental Armageddon at 8 to 11 mpg.
The electric version might have a tolerable reputation if they can keep it on the road with all that power.

Our neighbours in Palm Springs have one. He has heat it in excellent. Itโ€™s essentially their grocery getter. Quite iconic looking. He paid something like 1600 bucks for a new exhaust systym last year. Kinda cool looking though. Lots of chrome.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Well the previous Hummer presented an image of wasteful indulgence and environmental Armageddon at 8 to 11 mpg.
The electric version might have a tolerable reputation if they can keep it on the road with all that power.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see anything about the range of the electric Hummer. It does say quick recharge.

ShinerBock, is torque/HP calculated the same on an electric motor as a diesel engine?

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
And I assume the Hummer gets 50 to 70 MPGe around town.

My guess is those buying an estimated 100,000 dollar SUV probably wonโ€™t care about getting something like 60 mpgE. ๐Ÿ™‚

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
And I assume the Hummer gets 50 to 70 MPGe around town.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
ShinerBock wrote:

And all the above waaaay above my pay grade.

Zero to 60 in 3 seconds seems pretty quick though. :).

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS