cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Shocks on F250

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
So . . . I've read many posts about the Bilstein shocks and how good they are. But I had so few miles on my truck, I just couldn't get motivated to change the OEM shocks out. And I was reluctant to spend the money, fearing that it would seem wasted. This past winter, driving on and over snow and frozen slush finally gave me the motivation.

So I ordered them from Amazon, about $310 for a set of four for my 2012 King Ranch, and I must say: I should have done it a long time ago. Just adding my affirmation to what others have said, the improved ride is very noticeable. It's still a truck, but it doesn't lean in corners like it used to, it doesn't jerk me from side to side, and the unloaded back end doesn't hop all over the place as I go over potholes, etc.

I should have listened and done it long ago. Gotta remember: I've never gotten bad advice on this forum. BTW, my truck had only 26K miles on it. I may start putting more miles on it now. I used to go out of my way not to run errands locally with it because of the miserable ride, but it's quite tolerable, now.
5 REPLIES 5

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Mine got Bilsteins before it had 1000 miles on the odometer.

Now you know why.

Tim

mpiety
Explorer
Explorer
I just put Bilstein Heavy Duties from on my 2012 F250 SD 2wd yesterday. Truck has 48k miles. Both fronts were shot and one rear was getting there. What a difference! The ride is noticeably better.
I didn't notice until the last minute that the steering dampener was 10 inches too short. Fortunately I was able to get the stock dampener back on. The place I ordered from referred me to Bilstein tech support, of course. The Bilstein tech support guy refused to believe that my 31" dampener was stock, which it actually is.
2013 Coachmen 298REDS
2017 F350

gdavidg
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 CTD LB SRW and put Bilstein 5100's on at 38K. I love the change, and have been happy with them for the last 10K.

Very much worth it.

Was thinking the OEM must still be good due to the low miles and the truck just rode like Cr#P, but after the change don't mind driving it now.

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
I also just put a set of Bilsteins in my 2012 F-250 with only 28k and some change and wow! My stock shocks were shot!!! I could easily compress them and 3 off the 4 never rebound an inch. I went a tad different though, and some may think I'm dumb for it. I put the Bilstein 5100's on the front and 4600,s on the rear. The combo is working great. After a call to Bilstein, they advised the 4600's for the rear due to pulling a 5'er and a gooseneck because of the valving, and the 5100's up front for ride. The only difference between the two is the HD status and valving for loads on the 4600, color, and the 5100 can accommodate for lifted vehicles. The ride is greatly improved and pulling the 5er last week was very much improved. Like I said, its a different combo and I normally hate mix matching things, but so far I'm ecstatic with my decision.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I put them on my RAM 3500 Dually with less than 10K and was well worth it.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD