cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to her, but needs some repairs... Dealer obligations?

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
We went with lady friend of ours to look at used 2014 travel trailer Tuesday on a local dealers lot. The trailer was used by an out of state constuction worker working here in Montgomery and traded in for a Motor home before the man left town.
Now granted we saw the camper three days after the dealer got it and they said it hadn't been gone over it other than when it was traded, but they had priced it and put it on the Website.
It is a 2014 Skyline Nomad 260, Rear Kitchen. and perfect for her and her tow vehicle. We all like they camper and she has made made good deal... BUT, we gave the salesman a list of fixes,
1.The power stabilizers are wrecked. They use a common screw, and the street side on both front and rear will not lower, rear curb side is bent like a pretzel, and front curb side jerks and "pops".
2. One of the Dinette bench backs seems to to have a broken frame piece(Easy fix, I could do it).
3. Break away switch has wires pulled out of it.(Another easy fix).

Should she(we) expect the dealer to make these repairs with out raising his price. I know replcing the stabilizers will runn over $1000.00.
My friend also thinks he should replace the Tv the the previous owner took out because it came with one from Skyline. I told Tvs are too cheap now and not to get greedy.
John 😛
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT
28 REPLIES 28

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Problem solved. Now you get to crawl under a whole new batch of trailers..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
12-6-13
Salesman just call and told her that the dealership owner has promised the trailer to a "Family member". Not sure why it was even placed on the website at all if this is true. Heck, maybe he saw the list of things that need to be repaired(I only listed 3 here) and decided to take it to the auction.
Most used campers in rough shape only stay on his lot about 1 months then "Away they go!"
John 😛

2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
I should let you guys know that my friend has 35 years in corperate accounting and bookeeping. She knows her way around that kind of stuff and wont be a push over
But when it comes to knowing what to look for on the trailer, as long as it's "PRETTY" she's happy, that's where I help, she wont talk to a saleman unless I help with the list. and I do crawl under them, God knows how many I've looked at in the last 3 months...
John 😛

2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
@ dyb,The Break away activation wire is intact. It's one of the electical wires pulled from the back of the control(orange wire). I don't think the brakes would work if switch were activated.
John 😛

2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Executive wrote:
dyb wrote:
I would be concerned about Brake system damage due to breakaway switch being pulled.

Why? It's just like hitting the brakes hard. No biggie...Dennis
If the wires are pulled out of the switch it would not apply the brakes. It would take the cable being pulled with the wires connected.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
dyb wrote:
I would be concerned about Brake system damage due to breakaway switch being pulled.

Why? It's just like hitting the brakes hard. No biggie...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dyb
Explorer
Explorer
2005 F 250 5.4, 4.10 Gear, Tow/Haul, TorqShift Tranny 8ft. Box
Built in Break Controller
Super Duty super cab 158" wheel base
Eagle 320 rlds 2008
Raised Oct, 1988
Reese Dual Cam

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
If you've not yet bought it, everything is negotiable. Price is negotiable, fixes are negotiable, upgrades are negotiable.

You might get things fixed at the asking price, or the dealer might want more. Dealer might fix everything on an offer even lower than the asking price. But there is no dealer obligation to fix things at his asking price.

agree .... make sure that the agreement is in writing .... prior to signing the papers make sure that all agreed to repairs have been made, and that all systems/equipment that is supposed to be working is in fact working

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
The break away switch is a safety item. It may well be illegal for a dealer to sell it without it in working order.

The jacks retail for 1000.00... I was charged cost by my dealer for mine, which in 2010 was 416.00.
They can be repaired but it is labor intensive.
Probably not cost effective for a dealer to repair them.

I would offer to pay cost for them. They are a easy install.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you've not yet bought it, everything is negotiable. Price is negotiable, fixes are negotiable, upgrades are negotiable.

You might get things fixed at the asking price, or the dealer might want more. Dealer might fix everything on an offer even lower than the asking price. But there is no dealer obligation to fix things at his asking price.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
You did not specifically say she "signed" a purchase order for it, so I have to hope she gave them a list of what she noticed was wrong with it and then tell them to go over the trailer and fix these specific items, get a list of everything they else they inspected and the results of thereof and THEN re-negotiate the deal and get some sort of warranty from them on it as after all it is a 2014 model. If she already signed to buy it, she is screwed.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
It all depends on the dealer and how skinny the deal is. If he wants to sell it at that price yes if not he may want more money. I can't see how two jacks can cost anywhere near $1,000 to fix. Not even close...Keep in mind if it's a USED 2014 there is no factory warranty on anything....All that applies to the original owner only. So the bottom line is it better be a really good deal compared to a new one...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
harold1946 wrote:

Not all sales people are liers.

Quite true.
Its only the ones still alive.

If that price its correct, you might think about splitting the cost of repairs to the stabilizers.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming this trailer was really used as temp housing for a worker that was away from homebase,then we can probably make a couple of general guesses. The good news is it's almost new, so how much really "could" have gone wrong or be damaged ? The bad news is, it's unlikely it was "looked after" well. Face it, this guy was working long hours, and just needed a place to come to in the evening to shower, eat and sleep, so he could get up the next day and do it all again.
So, it's likely that there could be some things, like has already been observed that make it something of a project trailer. Which is fine as long as it's bought cheap enough, and the buyer is willing to either pay for the repairs, or is able to do them herself. Anything can be fixed, all it takes is the application of time, effort and money. Only the buyer can really answer whether she wants to mess with it. But again, as always, it really comes down to buying it for the right price.
She needs to look at it at least somewhat, as a business transaction, and as such, with the emotion out of it, then it either makes sense, or it's time to walk.
If it were me buying, I would lowball the seller, agree to take it as is, and plan do the repairs myself.
It's a buyers market out there.