cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Towing-help

cccougar
Explorer
Explorer
Just got out of a class c and now venturing into tt. Bought a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4. The dealer printed out the vin and towing guide showing a max payload of 1436lbs and 8600lbs max for towing with a GCVW of 14150 lbs.

We bought a tt whose dry weight is 6425 and hitch weight of 650 lbs. There are four avg size passengers and we travel for 2-3 day jaunts so we do not have gear that would be needed much past 3-4 days. We haven't picked it up yet-got to have trailer brakes installed in the truck. It does have the 7 pin wiring harness, HD engine and transmission oil cooler.

What should I be doing now before I pick the tt up and what should I keep in mind when towing? I have never done anything like this before.
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
I posted info in your other thread about GVWR and RAWR. Hope it helps.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
No cross posting. Plenty of good comments in your other thread.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hopefully you are getting a weight distributing hitch (WDH) which will make towing a lot safer and less stressful. That dry weight on the TT doesn't mean much, get it weighed at a truck stop. You are pushing the truck payload possibly but should be OK.

Since you had a class C you know all about the paraphernalia that you'll need. Sewer and water hoses and so on.

Before you pickup that TT get a good RV Inspection Checklist:

Checklist

There are many and that's just one that popped up on Google search you may want to look at others. Catch the problems before you drive it off the lot, which is when you have the most power over the dealer.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper