cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New trailer heating options

brainfarth
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a 2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2205s the other weekend and finally took it out last weekend to Princess Creek Campground at Odell lake, Oregon. I cant say enough good stuff about this place.
After a three day stay, we found a few things that need addressed. One is the lack of leveling bubbles of any kind. I dunno if they forgot or what the deal was.
Heat! It has a fireplace (1500 watt electric) which doesn't do us much good when dry camping. No one wants to hear a generator all night (the trailer doesn't have one, but I brought one just in case).
One type 24 battery that lasted 24 hours. I'm looking for a premade box (maybe toolbox) that had hold two type 27 batteries, end to end.
So my big question is heating. Since this thing didnt come with a propane option, is there something that I can sit on the stove and let it vent out the stove vent or something along those lines? I think I can plumb new gas to whatever heater works.
Thanks for any help.

35 REPLIES 35

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
brainfarth wrote:
Back to the batteries: My old trailer has a new type 27 and my thought was to drop the 24 off in it before biding farewell. Then I could double up the 27's since I already have one. I picked it up for about $120. I don't think the 6v option would be cheaper at this point.

Using batteries that were not purchased and installed at the same time will result in one of them having a shorter life.

Two 6V golf cart batteries store more energy that two Group 27 batteries.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
most likely no room for 6v batteries , so get two 12v agm batteries they,ll more than do the job. you,ve got some learning to o . welcome and most rver,s will help you out ,just ask.
That was my problem in my Forester, no room for 6v batteries, I went with 2 group 31 bateries, which barely fit, but much better than 24's or 27's.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
To the O.P. - I just bought the slightly-smaller version of your trailer (2109S) and I was amazed by how fast the single battery became depleted, just sitting there doing nothing. (I didn't disconnect the battery because I was stocking the trailer and occasionally running the fantastic fan) Several days into my "nesting" - I noticed that the antenna power was turned on (green light behind the TV) so I switched that off; but there's still a parasitic draw from the LP detector, etc. For $25, I bought a "float charger" from Amazon that will hopefully prevent battery depletion.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

Doing a lot of boondocking, I would suggest two volt batteries.

I know what you meant, but this is funny as is!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
brainfarth wrote:
This is kinda funny. While talking to the GF and looking at the 360 view if the interior, I see the heater control. I have no idea why it didnt dawn on us to mess with that control.
But on the flip side, it would not have worked because that little battery gave up so easily. When it was going down, the fridge started beeping at us in the middle of the night. So I turned it off. Then the carbon monoxide detector went off. Thats when I turned the battery off at the front switch.
Back to the batteries: My old trailer has a new type 27 and my thought was to drop the 24 off in it before biding farewell. Then I could double up the 27's since I already have one. I picked it up for about $120. I dont think the 6v option would be cheaper at this point.

Is the fridge running off propane or does it have a 12v option?

That can kill the battery pretty quick. If it's on propane, it uses a little 12v to run the control but it shouldn't kill the battery quickly. Odds are something else is drawing the battery down.

Even the furnace should be able to get thru the night.

If you are going to do a lot of boondocking, an extra battery or two wouldn't be a bad thing. I would give serious consideration to a pair of 6v golf cart batteries wired for 12v. It's very hard to find actual 12v deep cycle batteries (dual purpose batteries are mostly marketing). 6v golf cart batteries are legitimate deep cycle batteries that will hold up to deeper discharges (still try to limit it to 50% discharge).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how cold it was and what you were plugging in the battery should have lasted a bit longer. Was the battery fully charged before leaving?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
most likely no room for 6v batteries , so get two 12v agm batteries they,ll more than do the job. you,ve got some learning to o . welcome and most rver,s will help you out ,just ask.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow... Sounds like you didn't get a walk thru on your rig when you bought it?

I have a 2019 Rockwood 2511S and got it from a local dealer and when I picked up the trailer, they went thru all the systems and controls and such..

This wasn't my first RV, but the newest and I had to listen to a few things for the new stuff in this rig compared to my old 2003 Prowler...

Mine came with dual 12v batteries, full 30lb propane tanks and even a full tank of water!

I took an hour with the guy going over the rig and all the new features of this new Rockwood... And remember, I've been doing this RV thing for decades...

I posted my dual battery setup and what I did to secure it, but got nothing but hate on it from the forum, so I won't go there... Oh, by the way forum, it's working GREAT and none of the things you said would happen has happened yet... ๐Ÿ™‚

That same unit runs the AC too, so you might want to check out the manuals that should have come with your new unit as well and that will give you a lot of info as well.

Good luck, Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
2+ batteries and 200+ watts solar and you should be in good shape for most conditions.

Next you need to post the model number of the converter since you might be charging with the generator. Looks like a WFCO and they are notorious for just trickle charging in normal mode instead of the 3 stage boost mode you expect.

brainfarth
Explorer
Explorer
This is kinda funny. While talking to the GF and looking at the 360 view if the interior, I see the heater control. I have no idea why it didnt dawn on us to mess with that control.
But on the flip side, it would not have worked because that little battery gave up so easily. When it was going down, the fridge started beeping at us in the middle of the night. So I turned it off. Then the carbon monoxide detector went off. Thats when I turned the battery off at the front switch.
Back to the batteries: My old trailer has a new type 27 and my thought was to drop the 24 off in it before biding farewell. Then I could double up the 27's since I already have one. I picked it up for about $120. I dont think the 6v option would be cheaper at this point.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mr heater is a good way of going. Even with an on-board furnace it helps when in cold weather to save the battery(ies)

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
brainfarth wrote:
I picked up a 2020 Since this thing didnt come with a propane option, is there something that I can sit on the stove and let it vent out the stove vent or something along those lines? I think I can plumb new gas to whatever heater works.
Thanks for any help.

not sure what your talking about I see a propane fridge, water heater stove and the furnace exhaust and intake, even see the propane tanks of the a frame. looks like you have a propane option to me. you will want to upgrade to a couple 6V batteries if you plan on boondocking a lot.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thermostat on website is shown on cabinet right side of entry door.
It would not be considered self-contained without heat.
Doing a lot of boondocking, I would suggest two volt batteries.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Brochure list propane heater as standard equipment.
rockwood lite
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the OP is saying the one battery can not run the FAN on the furnace/fireplace all night long. A pair of golf cart batteries should solve that !