cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New travel trailer expectations

TC_campers
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow campers. Purchased a new travel trailer last week. First trip for the 4 the weekend. Fresh water tank fell out at mile 105 and was drug down the interstate until fellow motorist flagged us down. Hole in the bottom skirting, many wires wore completely through, hole in water tank. None of the camper electrical works. Trailer lights seems fine. Home we went.

My question to the experienced rv crowd. What should I do? Insist on a new one, settle for repairs, be compensated for my loss of use
75 REPLIES 75

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
It doesn't usually work that way. You bought it, you own it. They will fix it under the warranty that's all. Sorry, no new trailer, no compensation for loss of use...You can scream and stamp your feet all you want but I would be willing to bet nothing else will happen..

B.O.

Indeed, the manufacturers' warranty (if the OP read it) likely says they are not liable for consequential damages, loss of use, etc. But, sure does make you wonder about what kind of inspection the selling dealer performed on that unit when it was received, or, what in hell kind of QC inspection was done at the plant when it left the line.

Demanding a new unit? Can try anything, but not likely. Would think requesting the selling dealer coordinating with the manufacturer to return it to them for repair is an appropriate course of action. Hopefully, the manufacturer would get it right the second time.........

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Although this is a dramatic incident.. It really isn't a hard fix at all. In fact, you will probably end up with a tank that is supported much better than new.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Tough crowd here. "Problems" that I could fix in an afternoon in the driveway, and y'all are advocating lawyers, attorneys general, abandoning a purchase in business owners lot, etc, etc.

Yikes.
I thought RV'ing was supposed to be fun and relaxing.
I guess I'm just too much of an inveterate tinkerer. Working on this stuff is all part of the fun for me.

To the OP....if you take this thing back and shove it down the throats of the dealer/manufacturer, and go buy a different brand, don't be surprised if you get to start this whole exercise again. All these RVs are the same stuff, built out of the same components, assembled by the same Indiana farm boys. Just has different names on the front. Each has different strengths and weaknesses. Choose your poison !

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
TC campers wrote:
Hello fellow campers. Purchased a new travel trailer last week. First trip for the 4 the weekend. Fresh water tank fell out at mile 105 and was drug down the interstate until fellow motorist flagged us down. Hole in the bottom skirting, many wires wore completely through, hole in water tank. None of the camper electrical works. Trailer lights seems fine. Home we went.

My question to the experienced rv crowd. What should I do? Insist on a new one, settle for repairs, be compensated for my loss of use

facory wrote:
Return it as fast as you can. No excuse for things like that to happen. I would opt for a completely different brand by a different manufacturer.

Get a Lawyer, take it back where you bought it. Contact the State Attorney Generals Office about it.

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Return it as fast as you can. No excuse for things like that to happen. I would opt for a completely different brand by a different manufacturer.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
TC campers wrote:
Thank you for all the responses. I'll hold off on naming the company and trailer at this point. I will follow up after my visit on Monday to the dealership. We purchased a new trailer because we had never owned one and didn't have clue in what to look for in a used unit. I am a general contractor by trade and would have no issues making all the necessary repairs, but don't feel that is my responsibility. I would never had removed the skirting that covered the bottom just to see how everything was constructed before buying, but now? probably. I will certainly add extra supports under the tanks if they won't. Still have a sour taste in mouth for the whole thing.

Wow, I'd be pissed and certainly would not be holding back info on the brand of the trailer or the dealer's name.
Hope they take care of this for you, I'd also go through the unit with a fine topth comb looking for other defects and get them all addressed while you're there.
Good luck.
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Physically check on your trailer every few days. Don't assume it is being repaired. Good luck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
TC campers wrote:
Thank you for all the responses. I'll hold off on naming the company and trailer at this point. I will follow up after my visit on Monday to the dealership. We purchased a new trailer because we had never owned one and didn't have clue in what to look for in a used unit. I am a general contractor by trade and would have no issues making all the necessary repairs, but don't feel that is my responsibility. I would never had removed the skirting that covered the bottom just to see how everything was constructed before buying, but now? probably. I will certainly add extra supports under the tanks if they won't. Still have a sour taste in mouth for the whole thing.

Exactly.....you have now learned that when shopping for a trailer, it's good to lay on your back under the darn things and look at the general build quality. I did exactly that with probably a dozen different brands before buying my trailer. As a contractor, you of course will immediately see things that will make it clear to you they are not all built the same.
One of the big problems we hear about on this and other forums is folks taking their RV back to the dealer, and having no use of it for a month or two while it waits for, and gets repaired. In my case, the few issues I had with my new trailer, I was able to solve myself, at home, in less time that it would have taken me to hitch it up and drive the 40 miles to the dealer. Should I have had to do it myself ? No....it should have been done right at the factory or caught at the dealer pre-sale. But at least now I know it is right, "to my satisfaction".
I may be an exception to the rule though, because I actually like tinkering with it, and making things better, or more to my liking, than how they did it.
Let's face it, a travel trailer is still a rather crude device, unlike modern cars or trucks. So, being a crude device, us home tinkerers can still work on them.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
TC Campers. I'm with the crowd that suggests you bring the trailer back to the dealer parking lot Monday AM. I wouldn't be belligerent, but would be firm. If you just got the trailer a week or so ago, I think you might be successful in just getting a new on instead...depends on the dealer. There are a couple good dealerships around here that should want to work with you, hopefully you purchased from one of them.

If you get a new one of the same flavor, I'd recommend the dealership checking/reinforcing the water tank before using.

Good luck! and welcome to the forum
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

TC_campers
Explorer
Explorer

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about your RV troubles. What brand?
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

mark1228
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind your dealer did not build it and it is not the dealers fault this happened. Is it ridiculous? Yes, but this falls on the shoulders of the manufacturer. Being aggressive and demanding of the dealer is not in your best interest, at least not yet. If the dealer is a good dealer with a legitimate service department, they can fix this. If you bought your trailer from someone over the internet 1000 miles away, then you have a larger problem.

If you got it from a local dealer, take it back to them and have a calm, adult conversation and give them a chance to fix the problem. Don't scream and talk about your lawyer, that is counterproductive at this point. After you talk with your dealer, contact the manufacturer to make sure they understand your frustration. Again, the person in customer service at the manufacturer did not build it or design it so yelling at them will do you no good.

If you got your trailer from a distant dealer, pretty much all you can do now is call the manufacturer.

Good luck, stay calm but firm and it will all work out. Demanding a new trailer of your dealer is a very long shot at best. The warranty, which is from the manufacturer and not the dealer, will pay to fix the problem, not replace the trailer. Talk with the Service Manager first and if you don't get any satisfaction, ask to see the GM or the owner.

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:

First of all, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your troubles.
You are now experiencing what many consumers of the RV world have, and that is, poor assembly and quality control. If you are going to continue in this hobby, then get used to, and learn to be handy with basic tools.
Should you have had to inspect the frame members that hold up the water tank ? Well, no, clearly, the end consumer should not have to do this. But as you found out, it would have been easier in the long run if you spent a solid saturday afternoon crawling under, over, inside and outside your trailer, and fixing some things "right". As I often say, these things comes to us, "some assembly required".
It's easier to deal with things during a trial run in "camp driveway".

As to the suggestion to "take it back right now and park it on their lot", that is very poor advice. You own this camper. Why would you take something that you own, and without any return authorization, just take it someplace and park it on property that you do not own ? That is not the way a business transaction works.
If you want the dealer to work this issues out, you need to talk to them in a calm and professional manner, schedule an appointment, etc. In other words, go through all the normal business steps. To just take it back there and abandon it is childish at best.

Personally, if it were mine, I would fix the issues myself, make sure it's all done right, and go enjoy the camper.
Welcome to the world of RV'ing.

I agree with GMW on all except the fact that the OP situation should be 100% covered by warranty AND the best way to get the ball rolling on any warranty repair is to drop the unit back in the dealers lap IMMEDIATELY. You do need to be calm and fair - don't scream and yell and demand a new trailer - you bought it, it came with a warranty which SHOULD cover all of this, now let them fix it. That's not to say that the dealer won't TRY to lay some of the repairs off as somehow being the customers fault, and therefore billable repair. So, be prepared for that, if it comes up.
Did the water tank fall out because it was full and not designed to travel when full? I know some units are that way. If so, it's not a warranty-able repair (if they know it was full).

I would not "not trust" the dealer to fix everything if they are any sort of reputable place. They should have the expertise to repair anything that could possibly go wrong with units they sell....you don't take your car to a computer / electronics repair shop when it has an electrical fault - you take it to the auto repair shop because they handle any issue that comes up for the car.....same goes with RV's.....

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I absolutely agree that the trailer, as sold, should be road-worthy. But many of them aren't. I know of many other folks who have had to reinforce the tank supports -- there have been several threads about "pregnant" water tanks that sag badly when filled. It is a hassle. I am certainly not saying, though, that the OP should have anticipated this problem. But other folks may want to add heavy duty metal pipe straps under their tanks, to guard against this issue.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
exactly